Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Morning all, reckon this forum will be a lot quiter today!

Temp on the rise here the last 40mins. 1.0c-1.5c now. I think the Atlantic is knocking on the door here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

This the first morning of 2010 that I have woken up and thought. Ewwww what a horrible looking morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

paddybar wrote: »
    radio reporting all roads around cork treacherous.safer to stay at home

Thats where i'll be staying:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

How did they get it so wrong? It looks like the kids got 3 days off for no reason :D

They got it so wrong,:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Aaarg, no snow in celbridge, just rain. Its washed a lot of the snow away. Dissapointed! Was hoping this 'event' would leave me stranded in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Not wrong if you're in Munster.

Did you take a look at the AA Roadwatch site at all? Road condition reports seem pretty accurate to me. The snow is becoming compacted now and this will lead to worsening conditions for drivers.

A sensible decision so far I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

femur61 wrote: »
    They got it so wrong,:mad:

You wouldn't be saying that if you were down this end of the country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

most schools would have been closed in Munster today anyway but looking at tomorrow's forecast schools should reopen Wed. by tomorrow it
    will seem mad for all schools in the country to be closed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

homolumo wrote: »
    most schools would have been closed in Munster today anyway but looking at tomorrow's forecast schools should reopen Wed. by tomorrow it
    will seem mad for all schools in the country to be closed.

+1

It should have been left to individual schools to decide. My sons school was open as usual last Thursday and Friday, despite the ice and snow here. Now the ice and snow has mainly thawed in Dublin the school sent a text saying we are 'obliged' to close!

1.5c here with moderate rain and drizzle (a bit icy). I'd say higher areas of Dublin and Wicklow are still getting a lash of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0111/weather.html

Roads in Cork have also been affected. There are closures in the north of Cork city, while the road between Millstreet and Rathmore in Co Kerry is impassable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The dehumidier in the one room above which the tank is had clicked in so it must be a little wamer.. does not feel it.

And is that a drip of water coming through the ceiling? (wooden slats)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

went to bed last night and there was a load of snow there... woke up this morning and there is twice that amount there woohoo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Hey guys,
    Not sure why there are not more reports on the radio about this but the N8 from Portlaoise to Durrow is treacherous, with slush and black ice in places. Snow is still falling on and off for the last 2 hours here also. Just a heads up for anyone heading that direction. Looks like the thaw may have made things worse before making things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I just wanted to underline the idea that, outside of Dublin and a few other places possibly, this thaw will of course need some time and things will no doubt get worse on the roads at first before they get better by perhaps mid-day or the end of the day Tuesday. So it seems like a good idea in many places to keep people off the roads, they may in fact become quite icy in the early stages of the rain-thaw event, and there is the outside chance of roads being closed in places due to flooding too.

It looks like a more robust thaw on Friday and Saturday, but after that ?? some indications of a return to more wintry conditions again, eventually, next week.

All those days with the partly cloudy with showers sort of weather, we were hoping for something a bit more interesting, well, we got that and more. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

sleetey rain here this morning (and all night)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

caeser wrote: »
    went to bed last night and there was a load of snow there... woke up this morning and there is twice that amount there woohoo:D

Double hard bastard. Sleeps in a bed of snow. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Pouring...

...some tea

sugar anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowed all night, another few cm of really wet nasty snow.
    Definate thaw on, only problem is its falling faster than its melting, a right mess.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A lot of snow out here, would say there was probably 3 inches left from the other week, about 7-8 inches out there now so a good 4 inches fell yesterday.

Temps sub zero (bird water is ice), cloudy, no precip.

Will be making a snowman on the time lapse camera, sweep on how long he 'lives'.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Snowed all night, another few cm of really wet nasty snow.
    Definate thaw on, only problem is its falling faster than its melting, a right mess.

Thought it might, given it's only 1.5c here atm. Any stats (temp/dp)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

ch750536 wrote: »
    Double hard bastard. Sleeps in a bed of snow. Respect.

:D:D:D:D:D nicely done

Horrible wet grey morning here. Sleety rain and slush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

so much snow here in mallow, had a burst pipe yesterday, plumber couldn't call on account of not being able to get out of his own door...live on a secondary road in the country, the snow is no compacted, you would need a snow plough or some other contraption to make the road passable...snowed in and not really loving it as feel a bit claustraphobic and keep wondering what other thing will go wrong in the house :mad:

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thought it might, given it's only 1.5c here atm. Any stats (temp/dp)?
    Currently 0.8/0.1°C with moderate wet snow. Beautiful to look at falling, makes a right mess on the ground.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Snowing from about 5am:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

They should have been a bit more regional with the school closures. Down the country there is a far greater distance for most familys to travel without public transport compared to citys and it makes complete sense to close them. The roads in our village are quite back this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

2c/0.1

has rained all night,the odd bit of sleet in it,ground almost all clear of snow/ice.
    amazing it was so marginal here really thought it would have given a decent fall of loverly white snow during the night.
    looks like it's all over now with temp's up to 10c by next weekend.
    incredible to think that in the space of a few day's temp's will be 20c higher in place's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Morning all

No snow this morning, in fact it seems to have rained a bit last night. Also the road thawing at a good pace. Journey into work this morning was a dream compared to my trip in last Friday afternoon.

Sad to see it disappear, even the ice :( . Had so hoped for the "big One" but nope, had a better fall of snow last Feb, where it was proper snowman snow.

Hope those that can, enjoy the extra snuggle in the bed this morning... lucky things:D

Beyond a joke, where is this stuff coming from?, +SN , had enough, enough already. I really hope the precip tomorrow is not more of this.

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »
    Morning all

No snow this morning, in fact it seems to have rained a bit last night. Also the road thawing at a good pace. Journey into work this morning was a dream compared to my trip in last Friday afternoon.

Sad to see it disappear, even the ice :( . Had so hoped for the "big One" but nope, had a better fall of snow last Feb, where it was proper snowman snow.

Hope those that can, enjoy the extra snuggle in the bed this morning... lucky things:D

Yeah.. it missed us too. Slushy and wet here. Wonder what tomorrows.. snow/rain event will bring us.:rolleyes:
    Just realised I can see a PUDDLE. Haven't seen one of them in weeks !!

Advertisement