Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

To settle the above matter of whether there is a thaw or not, I propose a snow/slush duel between black briar and januarysnow... the loser has to eat yellow snow. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Snow is a gas substance (gas as in funny!).
    It shrivels.
    I'll bet you had more depth last night though -that snow you posted there looks thawed even though it has maintained it's cover.
    Once you go outside of a town,a thaw is always slower especially as you move inland.
    I'd get the sled out as it will be all gone tomorrow when it rains heavy.

It probably did thaw a little, but not much. No dripping water or anything.
    Anyways, there is a hell of a lot of snow still here. thats all I`m saying.

Sled? Builders plastic has to do for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ok, for the laugh let's have a competition between me, sa and bb to forecast tomorrows weather? You on for it, i.e what areas if any will see snow?

Whilst not being a member of such high society my guess is that I'll see some sleet or snow for an hour or two then going back to rain. In an easterly the west counties might see it for a little longer, especially in the North west and higher areas. But there it will eventually turn to rain there too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose it is. Like the impending blizzards that will happening nationwide :rolleyes:

Thanks to GavinH for the straight forward commentary on what the situation with lying snow is.

Cheers, However I can can only talk with 100% of confidence about my own area. One test however for the snow, if you make a ball and then roll it on the grass to make it bigger, as if you were making a snowman, and if it picks up all the snow from the grass where you rolled. Then you have the wet compact stuff. Today I was able to make big balls quite quickly by this method. However yesterday during the snowfall, it took at least 3 times the lenght of time to make the same size ball as the snow was powdery.

• Advertisement

Ok, for the laugh let's have a competition between me, sa and bb to forecast tomorrows weather? You on for it, i.e what areas if any will see snow?
    I couldn't be assed at this stage.I've had snow for 2 weeks now [others have had it longer] and I need a break from it.
    The road from my house is just packed snow and ice,you can't brake on it never mind drive at a reasonable pace.

I'll change my mind in a week or two when an Easterly comes again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

paddybar wrote: »
    "ahem"

Sorry, and the others such as yourself Paddybar! :)

I understand Darkmaster2 that many hilly areas will retain a lot of the snowfall & understand that Cork is a big place & county, but almost everywhere below 700-800 Feet ASL will have seen a thaw today, however noitceable or not this may be.

I do accept that you still have a lot of lying snow, but the third picture shows clearly how it has become heavier/denser & compacted to an extent.

SA :)

GavinH is down closer to Cork city.
    North cork is another story, especially hilly areas.
    Do you know how big Cork County is?

I am 18 miles from Cork City, out the west side. But yes fully admit I am no where near the ASL that N. Cork would be.

I couldn't be assed at this stage.I've had snow for 2 weeks now [others have had it longer] and I need a break from it.
    The road from my house is just packed snow and ice,you can't brake on it never mind drive at a reasonable pace.

I'll change my mind in a week or two when an Easterly comes again :pac:

So your saying its not melting in Arklow either?!!:pac::pac::pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

It was pretty hard to roll any snow after around 3pm today. It was a little bit of the frozen side alright.
    GavinH wrote: »
    Cheers, However I can can only talk with 100% of confidence about my own area. One test however for the snow, if you make a ball and then roll it on the grass to make it bigger, as if you were making a snowman, and if it picks up all the snow from the grass where you rolled. Then you have the wet compact stuff. Today I was able to make big balls quite quickly by this method. However yesterday during the snowfall, it took at least 3 times the lenght of time to make the same size ball as the snow was powdery.

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    So your saying its not melting in Arklow either?!!:pac::pac::pac:
    There was more of it to melt... :pac::pac::pac:
    It takes time you know..

BTW soon what ever is there will start to freeze here. Temp now at 0.2c. Anybody want to hazzard a guess as to when we will see the rain hit the SW coast. Is it likely to be overnight? Just trying to guage the roads for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

whats your forecast for cork tomorrow JS? blizzards? looks like flooding from my limited knowledge.

:D

And how exactly are you going to verify where it snows, 100% accurately? For example, I may say transitional snowfall over High ground in certain areas but if there are not occupants/equipment in all of these areas to measure current conditions and report accurately & without bias then I'm afraid I couldn't possibly proceed. Flooding will be a major issue for southern areas after tomorrow, along with other areas adjacent to High Ground & Mountainous terrain that has had snowcover for some time. Total rainfall accumulations of up to 45MM or more are quite possible over High Ground in Kerry in particular, combined with melting snowcover - this will lead to extensive mountain run off & swelling of rivers. Strong winds will also cause problem, generally from the South - Southeast, gusting in excess of 85 Km/ph in exposed areas in particular.

Snowfall, transitory in nature is possible across High Ground in some areas tomorrow. Exactly where is impossible to accurately predict because of the strength of the approaching depression & the lack of predictibility as to how quick it will erode the current airmass over the country - already having been modified since yesterday.

I don't claim to be perfect or always accurate by any means but I do seek to make balanced forecasts, founded with NWP Guidance & Current Observations etc when I make them & not to make sweeping statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I like this technical method.. its new guys .. state of the art... I know I know... rather radical but hey... the world moves on !!

imagesweather-20forecast-20stone.jpg

There was more of it to melt... :pac::pac::pac:
    It takes time you know..

Pfft, I bet Cork has at least 10x that, even at sea level. In the mountainous areas to the north at 500 feet they probably have amounts that would make the Sally of Sallygap feel embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thanks for the laughs guys. I never before would have believed that a small snow thaw in Cork would have caused such pointless consternation. :pac::pac::pac:

Thanks for the laughs guys. I never before would have believed that a small snow thaw in Cork would have caused such pointless consternation. :pac::pac::pac:

So you also agree that it's thawing then DE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Supercell wrote: »
    Pfft, I bet Cork has at least 10x that, even at sea level. In the mountainous areas to the north at 500 feet they probably have amounts that would make the Sally of Sallygap feel embarrassed.

i'm surprised the wicklow mountains hasn't become a ski resort to rival the alps from the amounts of snow i have heard reported up there!

Snowaddict wrote: »
    So you also agree that it's thawing then DE :D

Can't speak for Cork, but it is here for sure! but I can't boast altitude. Guess this is a big mountain folk discussion....:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah Min; what poetry you write!

When I sell these knitteds to the tourists in summer, I shall tell them how they were knitted in the coldest of winters, locked in by snow!!
    Min wrote: »
    I'd like ground temperatures to rise, cattle, sheep, horses, birds and other wildlife cannot live on the snow.

Bring back the green, green, grass of home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

CHART FOR TOMORROW
    gens-0-2-24.png?12

Evelyn on the Radio One forecast mentioned that this rain band could turn to snow in places tomorrow. That is all she said, no specifics, so I guess its game on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    CHART FOR TOMORROW

Morelike, Risque de pluie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Heres a few pics from macroom this morning. Headed to work in cork then where the sun was shining all day. Back home and there is a thick fog which hasent lifted all day.
    DSCF0222copy.jpg
    DSCF0202.jpg
    DSCF0183.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Evelyn on the Radio One forecast mentioned that this rain band could turn to snow in places tomorrow. That is all she said, no specifics, so I guess its game on. :D

she only said that to try and get the met out of the tricky situation of the "COLD SPELL LASTING ANOTHER 10 DAYS". I think the experts agree we wont see widespread snow 2mor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ok, here's my forecast for tomorrow.
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Kildare will all have lying snow for at least an hour tomorrow.
    Dublin will see at least falling snow for an hour, though it pbly wont lie.

And yes SA Cork will see rain and likely floods, though I would add at least another day before the flooding risk as ground frozen a foot down wont thaw that quickly. Wednesday will be the flood day after the rain has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Ok, here's my forecast for tomorrow.
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Kildare will all have lying snow for at least an hour tomorrow.
    Dublin will see at least falling snow for an hour, though it pbly wont lie.

And yes SA Cork will see rain and likely floods, though I would add at least another day before the flooding risk as ground frozen a foot down wont thaw that quickly. Wednesday will be the flood day after the rain has passed

if the front we got yesterday/today did not bring snow to dublin why do you think 2mor's will?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

MB1380 wrote: »
    Heres a few pics from macroom this morning. Headed to work in cork then where the sun was shining all day. Back home and there is a thick fog which hasent lifted all day.
    DSCF0222copy.jpg
    DSCF0202.jpg
    DSCF0183.jpg
    Am sure SA and BB can hear the sound of dripping:D:D
    As you rightly say hardly any thaw in Macroom either
    By the way Cork Airport was shut until 2pm today yet it didn't even get a mention on the rte news (I mean the dublin news)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a bit surprising, after yesterdays rapid thaw, today there was about an inch of snow left this morning and this hardly thawed all day, now its frezzing outside and the ice and slush has frozen. Roads will be lethal.

Advertisement