Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well that's interesting about the 1839 storm, don't want anyone to feel unduly alarmed, there are no indications of destructive winds with tonight's approaching low, maximum sustained winds are probably going to be 40-50 mph and some gusts to 65 or 70 possibly (in more exposed locations), whereas the 1839 storm probably gave sustained 80 mph winds with gusts above 110 mph. Also it was reputed to have been a very deep low moving east, this is a moderately deep low moving NNW. But I think it has very strong winds developing aloft and not much higher than hilltop height so well within the summit elevations in Kerry for instance. If anyone were nuts enough to be up there at 0600 they could be having their own little 1839 storm.

Notice how the wind is steadily increasing at the M3 buoy, Valentia, Sherkin, Roches Point and Cork, but peaks should arrive 0600-0900h. Strongest wind I could find anywhere was 45 kt sustained near the Channel approaches from a ship near the Scilly Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I too do hear a very low grumbling sounds, but just assume its from the sea and that reading the thread has made me hear it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

its been 0 degrees all day and now i can see frozen ice outside all the wet stuff are turned to ice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The general synopsis at 1800:
    Low 170 miles west of Fitzroy 983 expected 75 miles west of Shannon 962 by 1800 Tuesday. New low expected Plymouth 993 by same time. High norway 1035 expected sweden 1026 by that time.

962 isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Well that's interesting about the 1839 storm, don't want anyone to feel unduly alarmed, there are no indications of destructive winds with tonight's approaching low, maximum sustained winds are probably going to be 40-50 mph and some gusts to 65 or 70 possibly (in more exposed locations), whereas the 1839 storm probably gave sustained 80 mph winds with gusts above 110 mph. Also it was reputed to have been a very deep low moving east, this is a moderately deep low moving NNW. But I think it has very strong winds developing aloft and not much higher than hilltop height so well within the summit elevations in Kerry for instance. If anyone were nuts enough to be up there at 0600 they could be having their own little 1839 storm.

Notice how the wind is steadily increasing at the M3 buoy, Valentia, Sherkin, Roches Point and Cork, but peaks should arrive 0600-0900h. Strongest wind I could find anywhere was 45 kt sustained near the Channel approaches from a ship near the Scilly Isles.

tanx MT you've put my mind at ease now!!! all the other posts about the storm/wind have me on tenderhooks:eek:

i wonder will we get snow here in arklow:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

http://www.foreca.com/Eire/Bealach_an_Doirin?details=20100112
    wet snow for me yay (of course if this is right :D)

Highest gust 0000 - 0100 hrs

Sherkin Island - 79.6 Kmph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'm near Bantry in west Cork at the moment and there's really strong winds.
    Rain as well.

Can't sleep because I'm anxious about whether or not I'll be able to travel back to Dublin tomorrow or not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I too do hear a very low grumbling sounds, but just assume its from the sea and that reading the thread has made me hear it!:D

Same here, must be from reading about it, ears pick up sounds that are always there you just don't notice it. I can hear a sound, almost like a plane in distance, one that keeps going but never passes. After reading about the big wind, seems to add up, rare snow, quick thaw, very little cloud movement, interesting night ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

winds up here,
    must be strong down that neck of the woods as we miles away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I'm hearing what sounds like a constant wind noise off to the east even though the wind is a long way off. I listened for a minute or two hoping for a bit of randomness so I could write it off as just traffic noise or something more normal. It's a bit unusual nonetheless but so isn't the weather.

Highest gust 0100 - 0200 hrs

Sherkin Island 81.4 kmph

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

All we need now is a rerun of Oíche na Gaoithe Móire which was guesstimated at a Category 3/4 Hurricane equivalent and crossed the mid northern half of the country ( sort of Galway/Mayo to Dublin/Down) overnight.

Other than the famine it is the most 'remembered' single event of the 19th century in the west. No storm since matched it....save on the GFS 9 days out of course :D

rain is now falling here . i imagine it is freezing on the compacted snow here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Wind is getting stronger where I am now, as is the rain.
    ( I hate to sound stupid, but it's actually quite frightening :(:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The wind is strange here. It comes in long(20-25 seconds)gusts. Its like a large convoy of trucks going past your front door. This is happening about every 10 to 15 minutes.

Highest gust 0200 - 0300

Sherkin Island 92.6 kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fairly strong gales in Cork city but not up to previous records this year yet from a casual judgement. Should get interesting in a few hours. :D

Things seem to be on track so far, the low is moving north around 15-16 W which is about 200 miles west of Valentia, may not get a lot closer but it seems a few millibars deeper than model predictions so these cancel out in terms of wind potential on land. Not the night to be out trawling west of Kerry, that's for certain (probably sustained 50 knot winds out that way).

I have seen current upper air guidance and first few hours of model run, nothing unexpected on those. Will be updating forecast as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Winds as hell in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

OK nobody has posted for 20 mins especially those who were hearing the sounds and experiencing winds you all are probably asleep but after reading this I cant

Is everybody ok

im seriously starting to panic and thinking things (which is never a good thing in the early hours of morning) Ive been sticking my head out the window trying to hear any noises (im in the east) and I hear neighbours windchimes tinkeling and short bursts of strong gusty wind other than that it is eerily quiet which is unusual for these parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

gust of wind woke me up in tipp. I came on here 2 see how the guys hearing the noises were. . . Have been following thread. It is v windy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just woke up to a hum of wind outside here in Waterford, no strong wind yet though. Back to sleep now....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Is the weather that bad in Cork, I am in work and equipment just started to alarm all over the shop down that end of the country.

Radar and current observations combine to show that this is a very vigorous frontal system (in the southwest) and I can't rule out minor wind damage with gusts to 70 mph, however, so far no indications of a major damaging wind. If your car is parked just to the north of a large tree, I would consider moving it, just in case ... one or two trees are going to come down because of the loose conditions after the freeze and thaw. A few roof tiles may come down, garden sheds could be blown around a little, branches could come off trees here and there, that sort of thing -- what's usually considered minor wind damage. It won't last too much longer either, and winds this strong will not spread to all other regions, the storm will weaken later today.

Posting a new forecast but there's nothing very new, just an update.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

How long do you expect the wind to last for? Just the night?

I expect the strong winds to last about 4-6 hours in Munster, and specifically for Cork, they will be quite strong now to about 0900 then start to abate, Waterford they will likely ramp up soon and let up a bit around 1030, to the north and northwest, the timing is a bit later in general, let's say for Limerick the very strong winds are likely to hit around 0600 and last to almost noon, and in Clare 0700-1300. As this spreads north, the peak winds won't be as high so the timing depends on what you consider strong. The peak winds will be about 1200-1500 in Galway.

Dublin is probably going to see a gradual increase in wind speeds all morning and peak winds around lunch time. However it may not seem quite so strong there. With this wind direction, there would be some localized downslope winds north of hills and mountains that could be very strong and locally damaging, but I'm guessing that over hundreds of years, people avoided settling in those places, so the impact would be more felt by people travelling by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Tis very windy in Cork, it's actually kept me awake its so bad where I am (b'town)

And it's going to get stronger?? Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah, storm force gusts in Cork out there would be my guess from a quick trip outside. I love when it's this windy. I suppose it's because it so rarely actually gets genuinely dangerously windy in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Wind picking up here in Dublin.
    Can see Poolbeg Chimneys from house and smoke from them suggest wind coming from south westerly direction.

Have enjoyed this post over the last number of days - cheers guys; your enthusiasm is infectious.
    I noted that Met E forecasting snow across midlands 5am radio bulletin. That seemed to be the case on this post last evening but now the wind/rain seems to be the thing - I get the impression that you guys are about 6 hours ahead of ME?

Advertisement