Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowfall is moderate now for the first time in 2 hours. Nice sized flakes. Ice pellets had fallen for the past 2 hours. The pellets incidentally increase the depth of the snow much quicker than snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

moogester wrote: »
    Still light rain here.....doesnt seem to be damaging the snow cover much though :)

Nothing at all here will likely be blooty raining by eleven thirty lol said that in cork it turned to snow so if it rains I still have hope is it colder?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Its snowing here again in Limerick city, very lightly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I reckon they are probably the same as they were this morning, I know the Wicklow gap is pretty bad and getting worse as we speak so I presume Sally Gap is no different.

Thanks Wicklowgirl. :) After this morning's little skate-about on the roads I may forget about tomorrow morning so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

starting to get heavier here in leitrim bring it on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Starting to get heavy here again. Has been fairly light for the past while with the odd hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Snowfall is moderate now for the first time in 2 hours. Nice sized flakes. Ice pellets had fallen for the past 2 hours. The pellets incidentally increase the depth of the snow much quicker than snow.

Glad to see you gettin some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

would like to know what the roads are like in Cork.. esp the main limerick to mallow road between and esp around mallow kanturk? have heard its been snowing there all day? is it still snowing? any sign of a thaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Starting to get heavy here again. Has been fairly light for the past while with the odd hail shower.

in that place where nobody knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

ahhh I'm having mainly ice pellets now, few big flakes mixed in....
    Are you south of me then ?? Trying to work out what I'll be getting :D
    (I'm more or less on the Clare/Galway border if that helps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

2.8 degrees with a dewpoint of -2.1
    If the temp falls a bit we might get snow later.

shinystar wrote: »
    would like to know what the roads are like in Cork.. esp the main limerick to mallow road between and esp around mallow kanturk? have heard its been snowing there all day? is it still snowing? any sign of a thaw?

they should be ok if you travel slow. lots of snow yes and still snowing a little but the danger is if it freezes which won't be known until probably much later in the night. no thaw in these area yet with a lot of lying snow and slush as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

techie wrote: »
    Anyone know what the roads are like in West Cork. Have to travel from Newcestown to Forge Hill for work in the morning?

The AA Roadwatch website is usually pretty good as is 96FM.

I tried driving up the Dublin mountains tonight just to check it out and had to turn around as it was snowing heavy up there - meanwhile 10 mins down the road in Rathfarnham, it was sleet just ike everywhere else in Dublin !

I'm optimistic. This is just a mild break. More snow will come in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Have been noting the temperature at Howth,

Dropped from 3.7c to Temperature 2.8�C in last hour.

I wonder could some inland spots yet get snow tonight. Unlikely but possible.

ahhh I'm having mainly ice pellets now, few big flakes mixed in....
    Are you south of me then ?? Trying to work out what I'll be getting :D
    (I'm more or less on the Clare/Galway border if that helps)
    I am in the foothills of Mount Callan. Precip is moving NNE I think so I don't think what I am seeing will necessarily impact you. The precip at this stage is localised, in terms of its intensity. There may massive snow flakes in feakle but only ice pellets in Flagmount.

originally posted by munsterlegend
    they should be ok if you travel slow. lots of snow yes and still snowing a little but the danger is if it freezes which won't be known until probably much later in the night. no thaw in these area yet with a lot of lying snow and slush as well.
    thanks for that.. I had heard there was 8 inches of snow there! that alarmed me.Is that correct? 8 inches:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Hola lads

Few flutters here nothing to wrte home about - But i was just thinking - its only 1st week in Jan - plenty more weeks of winter to come.

Glad to see your getting a bit wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I had heard there was 8 inches of snow there!
    lol. exaggerate much?

orginally quoted by munsterlegend

thanks for that.. I had heard there was 8 inches of snow there! that alarmed me.Is that correct? 8 inches:eek:

well not where i am(mallow area) but its possible in higher parts alright. i would check aaroadwatch in the morning. traffic will be travelling very slowly and a thaw is unlikely until the afternoon probably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Raining in Newbridge , with a few flakes blowing in the wind,

It has been a hectic few weeks on here , great fun, great people

I am taking an early one tonight as I have been up late for the last week on the snow patrol.

Still have a few inches on the ground , but I would be surprised to see an inch in the morning.

Nite all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have been noting the temperature at Howth,

Dropped from 3.7c to Temperature 2.8�C in last hour.

I wonder could some inland spots yet get snow tonight. Unlikely but possible.

Im at 1.8c Air Temp and 0.1 DP and its raining with a few flakes in it , so I am afraid not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

where abouts are you roughly? just curious which roads.
    I'm in the Kanturk area. Roads are dodgy here at the moment but these are secondary routes. The main roads should be better i'm hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Tactical wrote: »
    The AA Roadwatch website is usually pretty good as is 96FM.

I find this site great for road reports

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Sky News forecaster indicates a thaw in UK as well
    http://blogs.news.sky.com/theweathergirls/Post:35cd37eb-b663-40d1-a859-02bc0aee925b

By the way, the precip chart up to 1am shows there is plenty of precip that has to make its way north still
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Just raining here now in Dundalk. Sleety rain around 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I am in the foothills of Mount Callan. Precip is moving NNE I think so I don't think what I am seeing will necessarily impact you. The precip at this stage is localised, in terms of its intensity. There may massive snow flakes in feakle but only ice pellets in Flagmount.

Flagmount !!! aka "the other side" :D
    As long as there's snow left in the morning to shovel the kids out "en masse" onto the GAA field for a massive snowball fight to burn off some energy, I'll be happy.

thanks for that! i was worried about that level of snow!! I thought i would see it on the news.. thought i would have to bring a shovel with me!! thanks for your replies! I will check those road sites in the morning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Secondary roads around Kanturk are dodgy enough and a car hasn't passed my door here for at least 4 hours. Earlier in the day the main road into Kanturk from Biddys Green (the turn off from the Mallow-Killarney road) was bad. At the moment there's no thaw but there's no frost either so the main road might not be so bad now. No snow falling now but it was for most of the day,about 4 inches on the ground now.

• Advertisement

Joe Bastardi indicates the return to the norm as well but hints at another cold spell in February.

SUNDAY 6:00 PM LONDON TIME WINTERS ICY GRIP TO RELEASE JAN 15-25, BUT BACK FOR FEB.
    The physical drivers for the overall cold winter remains. The atlantic tripole, the warm, cold warm profile from the north atlantic to off the southeast US coast favors a negative nao. The central Pacific remains the focus of the nino. In addition the mei is similar to where it was it previous years when there was major cold over parts of Europe, but the problem is where.
    I remain partial to 02-03 which had a nasty February, however as bad as the first half of Jan has been over the northwest part of Europe, I think February will have the worse part of winter relative to averages from Germany eastward into Russia. There is likely to be more cold further southeast than there has been. The message is that winter, which will retreat over the continent to some degree in its severity will return but the worst will be over in the northwest compared to the areas targeted. So the Battle of Britain and France this winter, while not over, will be more of a skirmish than what it has been.
    Now let me clear. If it had not been so bad, lets say it had been as Hadley had said, I would be telling you that February would be a wintery month. But I dont think relative to the 30 days ending 15 Jan, it will be able to compete. So when reading this, I have to rely on you to understand.. there are two things that I am trying to draw attention too, what it should be in relation to normal and what it has been. And by the way I think Feb 15-Mar 14 is as cold as Jan 15-Feb 14... as the reload may mean some ugly weather deep into March.
    So winter is not over..but the current siege will let up.
    I will be updating you as I can a firm handle, but if I am going to tell you when its going to get brutal before it does, I owe it to you to tell you when it will get warmer. I cant answer email on specific sites as this is a general column to show the generalities of the pattern and to make the major points.. like this winter was not going to be a walk in the park, at least not one without overcoats and snow boots

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement