Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

3hr-rain.gif

Good spread, once this precip is gone it'll be a few hours before there's any more.

Will be interesting to see how this moves through the country over the next while. May not make it past the midlands

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

GavinH wrote: »
    Hi all,

wind is from the SW down here, does that mean the Atlantic is winning?

No, I'd ignore the surface winds atm. It's showing SW here too, but the weather (snow - yippee) is coming from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Few flakes here in Mullingar about 30 minutes ago. Thought that was the start of it but its stopped now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Small bit in navan atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What time is the next Met forecast on RTE 1 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No, I'd ignore the surface winds atm. It's showing SW here too, but the weather (snow - yippee) is coming from the east.

Yes everthing does look to be moving from the east. Okay will ignore the surface wind.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Snowing fairly heavy here in Dublin 15 for at least the last hour. And it doesn't show signs of stopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Snowing heavily in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

snaps wrote: »
    hows dublin airport fairing during this snow? I cant find a webcam of dublin airport.

Always amazes me that people ask these questions. You can clearly use the internet, just google Dublin Airport. :mad:

Rant over.

Dublin Airport has suspended flight operations, lots of delayed and cancelled flights now showing

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/latest-news/090110_suspended.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Flimbos wrote: »
    Snowing fairly heavy here in Dublin 15 for at least the last hour. And it doesn't show signs of stopping!

Plenty of SNOW going around d15 even in summer time;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Plenty of SNOW going around d15 even in summer time;)

Lol naughty

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Very dark in Carrickmacross, but temps up to -2 now, a few flakes about 10 mins ago but I could count all that landed there were so few.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

We had an overnight low of -10.6C here in Maynooth, easily beating the previous night's new record of -8.7C.

It's now snowing steadily - has been since I woke up at 9, and clearly had been for some time before. We've about 2cm of fresh snow on top of what was here already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

GavinH wrote: »
    Hi all,

wind is from the SW down here, does that mean the Atlantic is winning?
    I'm in mallow at the mo and the wind is easterly maybe ESE

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    My sister is flying out of Dublin Airport at 6am tomorrow morning, I know its probably too early to know but what do you clever people who know so much think about her chances and about driving to Airport from Drogheda at 3am?

It might be fairly messy allright, I'd say she has 50% chances of actually getting to the airport, not to mention that it might get closed in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rockett1

Good dumping of snow here in Firhouse (Tallaght )over the last 2-3 hours and still coming down,impressive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Snowing at present, air temp 0.3, precip 1.2 mm in rain equivalent, which translates to about 4 cm since it started this morning at whatever time it did. Varying in severity of fall from significant to almost nothing. Call from Duleek a few minutes ago, similar there, and also in Ratoath.

RTE and AAroadwatch have nothing up about current conditions.

To coin a phrase, "Be careful out there!"

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

snowing here, will keep you updated:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Snowing at present, air temp 0.3, precip 1.2 mm in rain equivalent, which translates to about 4 cm since it started this morning at whatever time it did. Varying in severity of fall from significant to almost nothing. Call from Duleek a few minutes ago, similar there, and also in Ratoath.

RTE and AAroadwatch have nothing up about current conditions.

To coin a phrase, "Be careful out there!"
    what are the roads like around ashbounre? i have to head to work shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snow passed here about 2 hours ago, about 2cms on the ground, first proper snow of the spell!!

well if anyone deserved snow you did - well done. given your snow shield has been broken down hopefully in cork the same can happen tomorrow and monday!

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Lovely big flakes in Naas now !!!!

Just saw the Sky News forecast, the lovely Lisa is showing a massive whiteout for Tuesday !

Just to mention that snow beers + snow hangover + reflective snow = pain :(

:D

where is the whiteout occurring? all over or further north? bbc had that yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

where is the whiteout occurring? all over or further north? bbc had that yesterday too.

It was the entire country I think, I was kinda staring at Lisa for most of it !! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Snowing very lightly in Waterford City. Sky looks full of snow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

dublin airport shut down, dont think they had this snow in their grit calc's!!!!

no snow in galway but it is as cold as i have seen, nb saw -26 at the top of kaprun in austria once or twice, sun just starting to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Dark skies and snowing in Glenageary.

PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

It was the entire country I think, I was kinda staring at Lisa for most of it !! :p
    HEY keep your grubby little eyes off my woman:mad:

fully understandable. you just saw white over ireland?! she likes to mention ireland anyway given her roots. i always laugh at the bbc northern ireland forecast they never mention the south in their forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Dublin airport has suspended ALL flights till further notice, and snowing moderatly in D13 so id say the airport wont be open at all today..... its getting scary!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

+28c not a cloud in the sky sitting here with a freezing cold glass of bubbly listening to the waves crash onto the beach thinking about a swim.

Wakes up looks out window begins to cry. :(

• Advertisement

paddybar wrote: »
    HEY keep your grubby little eyes off my woman:mad:

what temp did you record out there paddy bar? i am close to mallow as well and i had a -9 when i got up on the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement