Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

By the looks of the radar, these showers seem to be penetrating far further inland than was forecasted. Met Eireann have also upgraded their weather charts over night to indicate heavy snowfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

-11 here still. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

ciaran67 wrote: »
    +28c not a cloud in the sky sitting here with a freezing cold glass of bubbly listening to the waves crash onto the beach thinking about a swim.

Wakes up looks out window begins to cry. :(

were you born in 1967, C-C-C-C-C-i-i-a-a-r-r-a-a-n-n-n-n?

The cold is making me stammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

what temp did you record out there paddy bar? i am close to mallow as well and i had a -9 when i got up on the car.
    Charleville is showing -10.5 and my car at home near doneraile{4.5miles away)showed -8 at 9 o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Freezing fog has cleared here in north Galway (well my wee area of north Galway at least), but still looks thick and freezing city side at the moment:

at the docks:
    101633.jpg

Overlooking the bay:
    101634.jpg

fantastic weather! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Still very grey skies, snow is coming and going in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

were you born in 1967, C-C-C-C-C-i-i-a-a-r-r-a-a-n-n-n-n?

The cold is making me stammer.

Its the amount of times today i thought about that cruise in the Caribbean i was on two months ago ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

snowing in meath for the last hr:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Freezing fog has cleared here in north Galway (well my wee area of north Galway at least), but still looks thick and freezing city side at the moment:

Fog cleared here and its -8c and sunny! Im going to post some photos soon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure about roads yet, haven't ventured out, they were reasonable last night before the freeze and this morning's snow, I would doubt that Meath CC have come this far given present problems, so they will probably be tricky unless you have a good 4WD. There's at least 5 cm lying here. Has just stopped snowing, but still overcast, so could start again. Wind currently showing Northerly at ground level, but is more North Easterly at cloud level.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Fog cleared here and its -8c and sunny! Im going to post some photos soon

Looking forward viewing those snaps Snaps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Bond-007 wrote: »
    -11 here still. :eek:

Where???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Snowing now near Rathdowney, Co. Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was -13 here in south kk at 7am. Started snowing lightly round half an hour, maybe 40 mins ago. Very little fallen so far, <1cm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow starting to get heavier again. 3 hours of snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Looking forward viewing those snaps Snaps! :D

Would they be cold snaps?

(sorry, sounded funnier in my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

still -5 here only a few flake's,barely a covering.

two snowplough's on the m50 :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0109/live_weather_transport_updates_saturday.html

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

at the docks:
    101633.jpg

Overlooking the bay:
    101634.jpg

Photos great! Have you a temperature reading to go with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Fine here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Charts indicate a return to milder weather from later Monday onwards. The temps will rise gradually not significantly north eastwards across the country. However, a lot of action to take place between now and then. These boards will be fiLLed with people screaming its bucketing down, whiteout, blizzard, help!!!!!, mommy!!!!, torrential snow, and the occasional 'it's feckin sleeting'.

If this big freeze is about to end then, almost like your shipmate on a sinking ship, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you get snow. Deep, Nacho, Leahyl, Eskimo, Billy, Chicken and everyone starved of any snowfall, i hope you get buckets. To everyone else I will see you at the inaugural 2010 Irish snowman making championships.

I am holding out for the colder air to win the day. Charts can as easily have messed up their outlook on this as they have done on previous setups in recent weeks. I'll be at the ship wheel until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I see the deaths have started from people falling through ice on lakes. 2 lads Killed in UK from falling through Ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I see the deaths have started from people falling through ice on lakes. 2 lads Killed in UK from falling through Ice.
    Was bound to happen sooner or later. Never underestimate just how stupid the average joe/jane is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Very lightly snowing still, can't seem to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Charts indicate a return to milder weather from later Monday onwards. The temps will rise gradually not significantly north eastwards across the country.

A lot of action to take place between now and then.

If this big freeze is about to end then, almost like yourshipmate on a sinking ship, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you get snow. All of the country will see snow.

I am holding out for the colder air to win the day. Charts can as easily have messed up their outlook on this as they have done on previous setups in recent weeks. I'll be at the ship wheel till then.

seems to be a lot of uncertainty. even met eireann have a risk of snow for later in the week down south where one would expect the first signs of a thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Charts indicate a return to milder weather from later Monday onwards. The temps will rise gradually not significantly north eastwards across the country.

A lot of action to take place between now and then.

If this big freeze is about to end then, almost like yourshipmate on a sinking ship, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you get snow. All of the country will see snow.

I am holding out for the colder air to win the day. Charts can as easily have messed up their outlook on this as they have done on previous setups in recent weeks. I'll be at the ship wheel till then.

Does that mean that next wednesdays snow is unlikely to happen, more likely to be rain???

A slow thaw would be good though, would prevent any major floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Charts indicate a return to milder weather from later Monday onwards. The temps will rise gradually not significantly north eastwards across the country. However, a lot of action to take place between now and then. These boards will be fiLLed with people screaming its bucketing down, whiteout, blizzard, help!!!!!, mommy!!!!, torrential snow, and the occasional 'it's feckin sleeting'.

If this big freeze is about to end then, almost like your shipmate on a sinking ship, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you get snow. Deep, Nacho, Leahyl, Eskimo, Billy, Chicken and everyone starved of any snowfall, i hope you get buckets. To everyone else I will see you at the inaugural 2010 Irish snowman making championships.

I am holding out for the colder air to win the day. Charts can as easily have messed up their outlook on this as they have done on previous setups in recent weeks. I'll be at the ship wheel until then.

Su Campu seems to have called it bang on again!

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Forecast for heavy snow for Cork now changed to sleet. Heavy rain and +7c by Tuesday. 8 degrees on wednesday. Defo looks like cold spell coming to and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

They were obviously thicker than the ice. What would ye be thinkin..

nifheorais wrote: »
    Photos great! Have you a temperature reading to go with them?

They are webcam shots taken from http://www.galway.net/about/webcam/

No idea of temp in the city but I'd say it is well below freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Plus an elderly man found dead under a bush in his back garden in Wexford - frozen

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/widower-found-dead-in-frozen-back-garden-2006232.html

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement