Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It has been snowing for over 4 hours here. No signs of stopping yet, either.

Moderately heavy. Looks like about an inch and a half has fallen, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

I recon todays snow was underestimated and the "big snow" forecast for tomorrow will turn out to be a disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Light drizzle in Kilkenny of snow being like that for 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Morning all.
    I got my wish and woke up to lots of new snow (still bucketing down) Hope you did too and if not Im sure its en route.
    Enjoy xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Flimbos wrote: »
    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4840255.Giant_snowball_blocks_street_in_Hemingbrough/

This story is from a town over in Yorkshire but driving near Blanchardstown the other day I saw someone had left a huge snowball, probably 4ft diameter, on the road. Drive safe!

Twas about 6 feet in diameter when I had to negioate my way around it last week !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Cork_girl wrote: »
    The RSA has issued their 'Top 10 Safety Tips for Pedestrians'.

I love the description of the overhead hazards - "In extreme cold weather icicles can build up in size very quickly and are lethal. Their size and dagger-like formation are extremely dangerous for pedestrians." :eek:

they sound funny till your nearly killed by one
    about 3 years ago when I was snowboarding in Italy was walking around the side of the place I was staying and a 3 foot Icicle fell from the roof about 2 feet in front of me, dam things are very heave and pointy when falling from 30 feet up. after that I keep a close eye roofs and try not to walk under them when I can when away snowboarding. not sure how big a danger they would be in Ireland tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

alentejo wrote: »
    I recon todays snow was underestimated and the "big snow" forecast for tomorrow will turn out to be a disappointment

any charts to back it up?! not doubting you or anything just like some reasoning?!

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Light drizzle in Kilkenny of snow being like that for 20 minutes.

I have loooooads of snow here, 10 mins South of city. Been snowing all morning. Whats your location?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

alfa beta wrote: »

I have no charts, no technology and no idea.

AB

Exactly:p! Now ssssshh!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

dfbemt wrote: »
    Plus an elderly man found dead under a bush in his back garden in Wexford - frozen

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/widower-found-dead-in-frozen-back-garden-2006232.html

RIP

:( very sad and what a terrible way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I have loooooads of snow here, 10 mins South of city. Been snowing all morning. Whats your location?

Quite a bit here in thomastown, light to moderaate snow for over an hour now!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Still snowing in Lucan, though lighter than before. Been coming down for at least 2.5 hours now anyway. Car says -1 and that's the warmest i've seen day or night since Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I see the wind has change in the last hour or so is this going to bring more showers up from the sout east?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Snowing here aswell now, not very heavy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

ever the optimist leahyl !!!

i see you're on a hill in the northside - well I hope for your sake it's a big one - i'm sitting here in st lukes and i just know it'll all end in tears!!!

(however i've just seen someone say it's snowing down the road in dungarvan - so maybe sshhhhhh is good advice - fingers crossed I'm wrong.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Quite a bit here in thomastown, light to moderaate snow for over an hour now!!!:D

Maybe some might blow our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

tomorrow's system, which we christened Corsica last night, is now over SE france and N Italy
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

mickger wrote: »

Shouldnt be far away. Its beautiful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Stopping here in D12 and clear sky to the East.

Our lot for the day me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

morning all. light snow falling in Navan for a couple of hours now has eased for the moment.everywhere is white with snow and hoar frost.pity temps are to rise a bit tuesday onward but looks like it will be short lived as colder air looks likely to break through again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

alfa beta wrote: »
    ever the optimist leahyl !!!

i see you're on a hill in the northside - well I hope for your sake it's a big one - i'm sitting here in st lukes and i just know it'll all end in tears!!!

(however i've just seen someone say it's snowing down the road in dungarvan - so maybe sshhhhhh is good advice - fingers crossed I'm wrong.)

St lukes eh?! Well everyone knows how notorious st lukes is for NOT getting snow! Hehe! No but I seriusly think this is our time Alda - we're not meant to get it anyway till Sunday morning I think so a bit to go yet!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

mickger wrote: »
    If you're really lucky, we might blow down some of our leftovers to waterford!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yep Snaps, been watching some lower middle level stuff moving in from the east over the last hour or so. Sickened really, as I was hoping for a deep blue sky day. :o

Clouds now moving over me, they look very dark as well? Will we see any snow you think? Reckon there is a chance the west may see some? Still -6.8c here, but expecting that to rise now the clouds arriving!

A beautiful white snowy morning in Lucan. So pretty. So peaceful.
    Hope you all are having fun.:)
    Thanks Weather peeps for all the knowledge :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow stopped here. 4.5cms of fresh snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

The owenbeg river is sligo is starting to freeze over
    I put pics here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793017

I spoke too soon.......its stopping :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

If you're really lucky, we might blow down some of our leftovers to waterford!!!:D

No thanks we have enough of you blowing over the bridge everyday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

On top of a hill in rochestown here and getting darker. No hope of snow though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snaps wrote: »
    Clouds now moving over me, they look very dark as well? Will we see any snow you think? Reckon there is a chance the west may see some? Still -6.8c here, but expecting that to rise now the clouds arriving!

I have a very strong suspicion - and it's not just wishful thinking - that the West is going to get hammered with snow in the next few days... any really big snow fall I have seen in these islands has mostly come unnanounced. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement