Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Stopped snowing in D15 abount 20mm fell judging by my car roof. Was ment to be having a birthday party in town tonight . What do ye think the chances are of getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dfbemt wrote: »
    Plus an elderly man found under a bush in his back garden in Wexford - frozen

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/widower-found-dead-in-frozen-back-garden-2006232.html

RIP

Oh the poor crater :( RIP

My Granny is still insisting on going out and about too to her shed - who know's why, but she's 93! She will not stay inside!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

-8.1 c, calm, clear skies. Temperature low was 10.3 in Quin, east Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

It stopped snowing in /celbridge now . Had a good two hours of snow . Are we expecting it to be on and off all day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

almat1981 wrote: »
    Stopped snowing in D15 abount 20mm fell judging by my car roof. Was ment to be having a birthday party in town tonight . What do ye think the chances are of getting home.

There are no nitelinks running anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

seems to be a lot of uncertainty. even met eireann have a risk of snow for later in the week down south where one would expect the first signs of a thaw.
    Munster - i do not believe the ridicalous suggestion by some about ME giving a severe outlook so as to spare the government of any embarrassment should things get bad.

If ME do not change their tune regarding the cold spell by later this evening then I would suggest that they really do believe that things will remain cold for some time yet. I do not know what charts they look at but you can be guaranteed they have access to technology and expertise that we do not. Having said that when MT provides such a confident outlook, you dcan't help but wonder.

I am the eternal optimist and am hedging my bets on a marginal rise in temps from late Monday (marginal for some to see sleet or rain rather than snow) but that temps will drop again towards the latter part of next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Charts indicate a return to milder weather from later Monday onwards. The temps will rise gradually not significantly north eastwards across the country. However, a lot of action to take place between now and then. These boards will be fiLLed with people screaming its bucketing down, whiteout, blizzard, help!!!!!, mommy!!!!, torrential snow, and the occasional 'it's feckin sleeting'.

If this big freeze is about to end then, almost like your shipmate on a sinking ship, i wish you the best of luck and i hope you get snow. Deep, Nacho, Leahyl, Eskimo, Billy, Chicken and everyone starved of any snowfall, i hope you get buckets. To everyone else I will see you at the inaugural 2010 Irish snowman making championships.

I am holding out for the colder air to win the day. Charts can as easily have messed up their outlook on this as they have done on previous setups in recent weeks. I'll be at the ship wheel until then.

Wishing you loads of the white stuff as well Wolfe. knowing beautiful west Clare quite well (a fave drive destination of mine), big weather is never far away from you so who knows how things will pan out.

dfbemt wrote: »
    Plus an elderly man found dead under a bush in his back garden in Wexford - frozen

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/widower-found-dead-in-frozen-back-garden-2006232.html

RIP

RIP. An awful way to go after living such a long life. :(:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Just started snowing again in Swords, its lighter and not as big as last week, but it looks like its down for a bit, the clouds have been ominous for the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

We have no snow what so ever in athlone during this cold snap. I'd love some.
    What are the chances for snow today?

Hopefully on its way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

RIP. An awful way to go after living such a long life. :(:(

Same thing happened to a bloke from our local in Wandsworth, London in the 90's. He sat on a wall next to the pub and fell backwards knocking himself out and was found frozen next morning. Was hard to get over cos we all must of walked by him but obviously couldnt see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Looking forward viewing those snaps Snaps! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63891194#post63891194

There we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

About another 2cm on top of past stuff this morning:D

noah45 wrote: »
    We have no snow what so ever in athlone during this cold snap. I'd love some.
    What are the chances for snow today?

Hopefully on its way

Nice 1st post! Welcolme to boards and the weather section?

Whats the chances of me winning the lotto tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Still snowing (lightly) in Sandyford. 2 to 2.5cm today.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to a bloke from our local in Wandsworth, London in the 90's. He sat on a wall next to the pub and fell backwards knocking himself out and was found frozen next morning. Was hard to get over cos we all must of walked by him but obviously couldnt see him.

That is a depressing story, and sadly this type of weather will be responsible for a lot of cruel deaths. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

11 stations on negative double figures on http://www.irelandsweather.com/,
    even M5 buoy on 0!!!

Just looked again, everything reported as 0 on M5, including wind and humidity.

Apologies.

trogdor wrote: »
    About another 2cm on top of past stuff this morning:D

That's right Peter, rub it in..:pac:.

Seriously, congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Light flurry of snow here. Everything coated white from the fog last night. -10 according to car sensor this morning, water mains frozen. I think we have reached the peak of this particular spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Morning all! Been looking through all the posts since I left ye last night and have to say some exciting stuff! Nothing has arrived here yet in cork although I am slightly worried that in the updated ME forecast they mentioned that precip could fall as sleet or rain on southern coasts:confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

11 stations on negative double figures on http://www.irelandsweather.com/,
    even M5 buoy on 0!!!
    On the IWN map the default temp figure for the bouy when there is no report is 0C, so its an incorrect figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its getting bright here again with the sun coming out. Promised so much and delievered extremely little. Snow shield is working perfectly sir ;) Temp -1.7c DP -3.1c

Deep Eastly,

Do you have any signs of cloud coming from the east? I can see cloud on the east horizon heading this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4840255.Giant_snowball_blocks_street_in_Hemingbrough/

This story is from a town over in Yorkshire but driving near Blanchardstown the other day I saw someone had left a huge snowball, probably 4ft diameter, on the road. Drive safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Germany are in for a hard time - http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0109/weathereurope.html

snaps wrote: »
    Deep Eastly,

Do you have any signs of cloud coming from the east? I can see cloud on the east horizon heading this way?

Yep Snaps, been watching some lower middle level stuff moving in from the east over the last hour or so. Sickened really, as I was hoping for a deep blue sky day. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Just started snowing in Dungarvan :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

ok, time for my forecast for cork city.

today - dry - 3 to 4 degrees.
    tonight - dry - 0 degrees or thereabouts.
    tomorrow - sleety rain followed by rain - 3 to 4 degrees.
    tomorrow night - rain - 1 to 2 degrees.
    monday - lots of 'very wet' rain - 5 degrees
    tuesday - rain showers - 5 to 6 degrees

oh and I also forecast a whole bunch of parents wondering wtf the schools are all closed for (surely bat o'keefe could have made an exception for cork city knowing from personal experience that snow is physically impossible there!)

I have no charts, no technology and no idea. What i have is the experience of living in cork for a long time and staring disappointedly at 'wintry' news reports every january for the east and north of the country!!

Get yer umbrellas back out if you live in or near the city, it's gonna be wet - and best of luck to all you lot you live away from the south coast and up hills - you're gonna have all the fun - until tuesday anyway when you come face to face with the kingdom of slush.

AB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mickger wrote: »
    Snowing very lightly in Waterford City. Sky looks full of snow :)

light snow out here in Kill for last hour or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Snowing lightly again in Kells.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement