Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Supercell wrote: »
    Real neighbourly spirit come out in this weather.
    My neighbour who has a huge 4x4 is taking a list of stuff from me tomorrow morning of stuff to get in Roundwood as there is no way in hell my little Fabia is getting out of here anytime soon.

My usual question, should Glendalough be accessible?! Didn't make it up yet but had planned for tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Villain wrote: »
    Croppy how much have you got? See my pics much of a difference between Carlow and Tullow?

Just took a walk around the garden with a steel rule measuring on a number of hard surfaces, seems to be 2", not bad for a couple of hours moderate snow! Seen the pics alright, some fall you had!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Snowing in Waterford now again. Don't think it will last long but its still nice to get it. Temp 1.0c DP -0.9c.

Make that heavy snow now, Finally proper snow, Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of our dogs is trained to see large birds off; magpies, crows.. So the wee ones can get in to feed.
    Breaktown wrote: »
    I tried feeding them (the small garden birds) a few weeks ago but the damn crows just got everything. :(

Just started snowing lightly in Laois. It's getting quite cloudy so I hope we get some decent snow. There hasn't been more than in an inch in my area lately and the last time it fell it froze over quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mickger wrote: »
    Snowing in Waterford now again. Don't think it will last long but its still nice to get it. Temp 1.0c DP -0.9c.

Get in there and I was getting mocked for saying SKY news said it was about to snow there

Get up you good thing ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Felixdhc wrote: »
    My usual question, should Glendalough be accessible?! Didn't make it up yet but had planned for tomorrow morning.

Right now, not a chance unless you are driving a tractor.
    The snowploughs will be out tomorrow morning so the main road should be OK.
    I wish I lived near the main road!
    Glendalough will be lovely with deep powder snow tomorrow. I imagine the lakes there are partially frozen over too, should be very alpine looking.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mickger wrote: »

I've just looked out the window and seen that! :D

God, I just drove down from Kilkenny in the past couple of hours and the roads are BAAAD around Stonyford, Knocktopher and Ballyhale (as if the N9/N10 wasn't crappy enough already...:rolleyes:). A friend in KK city tells me that the place is at a standstill.

A truck jacknifed on the big hill leading down to Ballyhale and there was a massive tailback when I was going by there, because there's only room to pass on one side.

Glad to be home and in my warm little tigín I must say! :D

Re each province a separate thread? No way;wonderful to hear what is going on all over the country.

Too parochial and narrow else

And you can always use the existing regional boards which do feature weather.

good idea

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Graces7 wrote: »
    Re each province a separate thread? No way;wonderful to hear what is going on all over the country.

Too parochial and narrow else

And you can always use the existing regional boards which do feature weather.

Your completely correct .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Glendalough will be lovely with deep powder snow tomorrow. I imagine the lakes there are partially frozen over too, should be very alpine looking.

lol the lake here up at benevenagh has a couple of inches of ice on it!:eek: how long should we have these freezing temperatures for lough foyle to freeze up?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'll give it till mid morning then, even if we have to walk the rest of the way! I can imagine it will be spectacular up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Graces7 wrote: »
    One of our dogs is trained to see large birds off; magpies, crows.. So the wee ones can get in to feed.

Check out the nature/bird watching forum, you'll get some good hints on how to keep those buggers from your feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

snaps wrote: »
    Check out the nature/bird watching forum, you'll get some good hints on how to keep those buggers from your feeders

6 news about to start, wonder what the main story will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

RTE Radio Broadcast from Joan Blackburn at 6.00PM..

No real thaw in sight at all as of yet, increasing risk of snow showers in Eastern/Southern areas on Saturday, with an increasing risk of more widespread snowfall in Southern & Eastern areas overnight on Saturday and into Sunday..

Winds coming directly from the East!

SA :)

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I'll give it till mid morning then, even if we have to walk the rest of the way! I can imagine it will be spectacular up there.

The snowploughs are out around dawn but you are right to wait for mid-morning , the traffic that is there should help spread the salt around and thaw out the roads a bit.

Glendalough will see zero thaw tomorrow though. I almost wish I could get there tomorrow myself, it will be totally stunning after all the snow today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Up here;a deep white glory...

The mountains are thick with snow.

And our field also; thick powdery atop the knobbly ice. The dogs revel in it all,leaving scattered tracks.

White outs this morning and blue skies since with an unrelenting frost.

No water anywhere and the road is again thick ice and snow....

But lift the eyes to mountains and sky.. breathtaking.
    candy19 wrote: »
    Hows Donegal looking now at present?

I have to say Harolds Cross looks fantastic, dry powdery snow!

I have to say that Dublin bus are 100% correct to cease services until the roads have been gritted...I came home there at lunchtime from college and it was absolutely tretchorous, the bus was sliding all over the place as well as spinning!

At the end of the day, they would be liable for any injury to a passenger if their was an accident!

Think it's time to take a stand!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The snowploughs are out around dawn but you are right to wait for mid-morning , the traffic that is there should help spread the salt around and thaw out the roads a bit.

Glendalough will see zero thaw tomorrow though. I almost wish I could get there tomorrow myself, it will be totally stunning after all the snow today.

What depth of snow have you SC?

Stupidly went to a meeting in Glasnevin at lunchtime (left here just before main snow started) which finished at 1.45. Took 2.5 hours to get back to Rathfarnham. I just couldn't believe, in the middle of the day, that all the street in the city centre would end up as a compacted snow and ice skating rink - even down on the quays! Un-fuppin-believable! Really thought I'd have to ditch the car and walk.

Anyway enjoyed the snow, lightning and thunder (even though I was in a meeting looking over my shoulder every 60 seconds ). About 1.5 to 2 inches here on my return on top of what I already had.

My big question - what next? Are we expecting anymore snow/snow showers and is it really going to warm up next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

The N7 (Naas Road) @2pm today - Currently traffic at a standstill both ways at this section between Kingswood and Newlands Cross.

C472FC3ED7834E2D99DF836DBB7AD8D1-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Just listening to kcr radio and forecast is for 6 cm of snow to south and southeast Kilkenny tonite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

So will there be lots of snow tonight in Dublin?

• Advertisement

" A once in a 50 year event " says the muppet(spokesman) from the Dublin City Council .

Thats no excuse for not gritting the roads , it had been well forecast in advance , and even if it hadnt they should have been watching the weather all day .

It gets better , they knew the snowfall was coming but they didnt know where !

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What depth of snow have you SC?

Was 26cm before the last snow shower. I tried my best to measure that in level open ground in the middle of a field. Its very hard to measure accurately, its powdery stuff and is blowing around and there are insane drifts around.

I'm genuinly trapped here, very thankful for my neighbour and his big 4x4 offering to get basic supplies tomorrow.
    I'm moving back to Dublin in march so this will be my last winter wonderland, going out with a bang this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Great bit of snow in Bray today but I has taken me 2 and a half hours to get home not funny :mad:

Do you think scottish flights from Dublin will still be affected tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

" A once in a 50 year event " says the muppet(spokesman) from the Dublin City Council .

Thats no excuse for not gritting the roads , it had been well forecast in advance , and even if it hadnt they should have been watching the weather all day .

my thoughts exactly, did something similar not famously happen in 1982?

for snowmen fans the snow is that dry powdery ****e that wont stick together, any ball just falls apart.loads of snow but not the right type for snowmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

df1985 wrote: »
    We had a hell of a lot more snow in 1982. More than the few inches we have today.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

df1985 wrote: »

Unless there is about 8 inches of snow lying in the likes of Dalkey then its not comparable to '82!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

just snowed in wexford town again, just enough to cover over the roads and all.
    roads around the area i live are very bad now.

• Advertisement

Unless there is about 8 inches of snow lying in the likes of Dalkey then its not comparable to '82!

thats just my point, he was using the excuse that its a once in 50yr event when it was worse 28 years ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement