Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Just so people know, im sure most do already but dublin bus has suspended all services, bit of a knee jerk reaction as the roads arnt too bad my side of the city and bus serice around me was running fine

Dublin bus tickets valid for luas and irish rail, although just heard from my brother DART stations are already packed

Dublin Bus are back on , according to the Matt Copper show on Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Actually might have just been a dodgy radar scan at 16:45, looking better at 17:00 again.

1700.gif

Looking good for us now maquiladora ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

right guys... time to get forecasting again!!! can someone that knows that they are doing.... please look into the crystal ball and tell me if north leitrim is likely to get any more in the next few days..... please, pretty please.... and my hubby says please too:D:D:D

lol had forgotten to check ME, so according to them if its not here tomorrow then unlikely over the weekend? would ye agree with that, find ye quite accurate so will wait for ye to confirm or deny....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mickger wrote: »
    Looking good for us now maquiladora ;)

Breaking up over Wexford at 17:15 though...still might see some more flakes but nothing major now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

How long do you think the lying snow will last before it starts to thaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Met Eireann:
    Winds will become mostly easterly through Sunday night and Monday with wintry showers becoming more prevalent on east and south coasts, while the rest of the country will be mostly dry.

What are we talking about here? Are we talking similiar falls of snow as last night and today? Perhaps it to early to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

malman wrote: »
    Met Eireann:

What are we talking about here? Are we talking similiar falls of snow as last night and today? Perhaps it to early to tell

Sunday/Monday, 5 days off, no one can say for certain what'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

malman wrote: »
    Met Eireann:

bbc, sky and british met office have southern england and ireland down for a snow event not just the coasts. met office in the uk have a warning out already. still a long way to go though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The Young lady on SKY Just mentioned , Waterford /Wexford for snow now !

Here in Newbridge the freeze is setting in ,

Temp -1.9

DP -3.5

EDIT : Dublin Airport Closed until 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kasai

Hope I'm posting in the right place. Enjoying the weather discussion here the past few days, wish I'd paid more attention in Geog class though :)
    2 quick questions I'd be delighted if anyone could answer. Wondering how heavy people think the ice will be in east Cork tonight (near the coast here and not too high above sea level.) Met Eireann forecasting as low as -8 in Munster, but such a cold hard breeze here all day hard to imagine it freezing so hard. Other q is any odds of snow- sky beginning to look snowy. Asking as I have to head out for a bit later. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

bbc, sky and british met office have souther england and ireland down for a snow event not just the coasts. met office in the uk have a warning out already. still a long way to go though.

met uk is for northern ireland and metie is for northern ireland and southern ireland.. no offence just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just had a walk out onto the road, the tracks left by the cars has turned into clear compacted ice, not 'that' slippy yet, but the temperature is now -0.3c and the sky is clearing! Gonna be lethal on them roads tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Croppy how much have you got? See my pics much of a difference between Carlow and Tullow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

bbc, sky and british met office have southern england and ireland down for a snow event not just the coasts. met office in the uk have a warning out already. still a long way to go though.

Anyone gotta link for me ???? Finished up the 10cm here...... dont think we had that much since 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

UK Met Office warning:
    Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Remaining cold with snow showers, mainly affecting eastern parts, on Friday and Saturday. Windy on Sunday with snow for Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

Updated: 1527 on Wed 6 Jan 2010
    Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting many parts of Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

There is potential for further outbreaks of snow, which could locally become heavy and prolonged at times. This will lead to further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1126 Wed 6 Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Just had a walk out onto the road, the tracks left by the cars has turned into clear compacted ice, not 'that' slippy yet, but the temperature is now -0.3c and the sky is clearing! Gonna be lethal on them roads tonight!!

Same here in Wicklow. Was just down town about 30 mins ago and there is that menacing glisten off the roads. Just got another shower of pellets to coat the road and they have stuck. Going to be absolutely lethal. Anyone who takes a car out this evening where it can be avoided needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    so bad, customs found 20 kilos of snow in someone's luggage:p

Hope they weren't flying ryanair - they would have got stung with a hefty excess baggage charge for being 5KGs overweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Heavy snow in Somerset last night and today according to a friend who lives there, and it's now snowing in Waterford, so look out Cork and Galway -- it's comin' to getcha:D

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    UK Met Office warning:

does that mean the band will come up from the south coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Snow just stopped here in S.Carlow. You could feels the difference in temps straight away. Absolutelt bitter out there, but so, so beautiful. Judging by the furniture out back, I reckon we have very near 6" of snow.

On the negative side, there are very serious conditions on the roads. People stuck in cars all over the place. Local farmers are out making sure no-one gets stuck for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The Young lady on SKY Just mentioned , Waterford /Wexford for snow now !

the sky news weather for ireland is about as about as useful as t*ts on a bull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

owenc wrote: »
    does that mean the band will come up from the south coast?

yes an attack from the south this time as opposed to the north and east! still a long long time away - hope it keeps on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Duiske wrote: »
    Local farmers are out making sure no-one gets stuck for the night.

Fair play to them!
    I bet people won't be complaining if they see a tractor crawling along on the main roads tonight! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Duiske wrote: »
    Snow just stopped here in S.Carlow. You could feels the difference in temps straight away. Absolutelt bitter out there, but so, so beautiful. Judging by the furniture out back, I reckon we have very near 6" of snow.

On the negative side, there are very serious conditions on the roads. People stuck in cars all over the place. Local farmers are out making sure no-one gets stuck for the night.

6"? Can't believe the snow others have got around the country... I got a mere dusting in Lusk, no more than 1cm I'd say.

True :o

But just after noticing a post there saying it is indeed snowing in the snow barren lands of Waterford :P

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Yes Northern Ireland didn't even get metioned in the lenghty news report I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Real neighbourly spirit come out in this weather.
    My neighbour who has a huge 4x4 is taking a list of stuff from me tomorrow morning of stuff to get in Roundwood as there is no way in hell my little Fabia is getting out of here anytime soon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

snow has been here for days now and i mean days the snow on the montain behind me which is 1300ft high has had snow on it for over 4 weeks now and any snow that is lying is complete ice you actually have to skim accross the snow to walk down paths now instead of walking proper i think they need ice boots here lol i do not know how those canadians in winnipeg walk on that snow! its -3.4c here already and an hour ago it was -0.c!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement