Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

df1985 wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly, did something similar not famously happen in 1982?

February 2009 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It sounds so vague that it is likely that they have little idea what to do or what they are up against?

We have Nowdoc here and they already have 4wd vehicles.

And Mountain Rescue have been helping reach some.

But if this is going to carry on another two weeks?

It seems that the real help will be given by caring individuals rather than by officialdom.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    LATEST FROM DEPT OF TRANSPORT (note significant snow for east early next week). Cannot believe they are not providing funding to the councils for gritting

[font=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. The Department understands from Met Éireann that the severe cold weather will continue through next week and that there is a possibility of more significant snowfall early next week, mainly in the east. This will require the continuation of the salting/gritting operations on the same priority basis as heretofore. [/font]

[font=&quot]A circular has been issued this afternoon to all local authorities asking them to ensure that accurate information on road conditions is disseminated and local authorities are also asked to continue their liaison with An Garda Síochána and the Health Services Executive (HSE) to ensure that local issues and priorities are identified and addressed as resources permit. As some local communities and individuals will experience considerable difficulties or hardship and medical emergencies will arise where access is an issue, it is recommended that local authorities consider utilising some of the arrangements set out in their local emergency plan (without necessarily invoking the full plan). Such arrangements could include a daily meeting/ conference call with such bodies as An Garda Síochána and the HSE. Follow up action may require the use of Civil Defence Personnel, the use of four wheel drive vehicles to assist medical staff in accessing certain areas or the salting/gritting of specific roads. [/font]

[font=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/font]

[font=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

February 2009 ?

Hehe, dont mention Feb 2009 to the Dubs :D

It wasnt spectacular unless you were a bit inland or at elevation..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

txt from mate: "near riots in connolly, 15 min queue for tickets, people leaving for pearse because cant get on here"

he does exaggerate a bit, but id believe him if buses arent running.ive seen how narky people get even on match days in stations.

Rougies wrote: »
    6 news about to start, wonder what the main story will be :D
    TV3 got a crew into roundwood to see real snow...
    RTE had a lass on stephens green with a bit of frozen slush.

They made no effort at all.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

right, weather people, am living in finglas to took me 3 hours to drive home 6 miles tonight and the nerves were shot to bits, i was shaking getting out of the car.

so please tell, me will i be going to work tomorrow or what?

whats the forecast for night and tomorrow, not going through that crap again

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

TV£ got a crew into roundwood to see real snow...

Feck it ,I am watching RTE, what time do TV3 do there evening/night news at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

At last a proper snow shower down here. Not much by others huge amounts but beggars can't be ah well you know what I mean. Hope we'll get some more soon.

irishbird wrote: »
    right, weather people, am living in finglas to took me 3 hours to drive home 6 miles tonight and the nerves were shot to bits, i was shaking getting out of the car.

so please tell, me will i be going to work tomorrow or what?

whats the forecast for night and tomorrow, not going through that crap again

thanks

Not looking like snow tonight, but I reckon its going to freeze very hard

Feck it ,I am watching RTE, what time do TV3 do there evening/night news at ?
    11 tonight I think.
    They were interviewing people on the main street,it looked like greenland and was snowing hammers.

• Advertisement

Really, did TV3 have a news crew in Roundwood?, would love to see that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Not looking like snow tonight, but I reckon its going to freeze very hard

thanks, that would mean no work for me then = WOO HOO:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

in fairness that story was about the traffic chaos in Dublin. Currently there is one on about Donegal with plenty of snowy shots.

11 tonight I think.
    They were interviewing people on the main street,it looked like greenland and was snowing hammers.

Hahah, feck i gotta see that!!
    It is genuinely insane here, even last Feb doesnt come close to the conditions earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

irishbird wrote: »
    thanks, that would mean no work for me then = WOO HOO:)
    No work, no pay.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Thats funny did you see the UK reg 4x4 pickup getting the free grit/salt in Donegal on the 6one news?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

people driving quads on frozen lakes in donegal??????? are they out of their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Supercell wrote: »
    Hehe, dont mention Feb 2009 to the Dubs :D

It wasnt spectacular unless you were a bit inland or at elevation..

I'm in Rathfarnham (not very far inland and not very elevated either) and the snowfall in February was decent enough here. Even by the sea in Blackrock, where I work, there was a fair bit of snow. From what I can remember, it was north Dublin which didn't seem to get much of the snow that time. It really is strange how localised snowfall can be in this country.
    What about today's snowfall though, how exciting! Really came down quite hard here at around 1.30pm. Was there much in the CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Bitterly cold conditions persisting out to T+120 (Day 5)

Exceptionally cold Easterly flow at the weekend with a deep Cold Pool being advected Westwards...

Despite the rise in pressure, there is a definitely a risk of further snowfall. Again, the evolution is not terribly dissimilar from that of Dec 96/January 97 - so definitely something to watch. FAX Charts will be very helpful on this tonight.

Remaining bitterly cold until next Monday at least, with winds from a due Easterly vector, backing slightly southeasterly into Monday.

SA :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The snowploughs are out around dawn but you are right to wait for mid-morning , the traffic that is there should help spread the salt around and thaw out the roads a bit.

Glendalough will see zero thaw tomorrow though. I almost wish I could get there tomorrow myself, it will be totally stunning after all the snow today.

Still a bit unsure as to whether I should, the car slid around the place a lot last Feb when I went up and that was a few days after the last snow falls. I might park up somewhere lower down and walk the rest of the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gee; thank you kind sir...:D
    Your completely correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

We've got sfa so far, how is it all going around us :( ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I havnt posted here today cos ive been out enjoying the snow!!!!!!
    4.5 to 5 inches here so far:eek:
    Roads are in a bad state...unless you have a proper 4x4 forget about it, especially the hills.
    Going out to build the snowman of all snowmen tonight after dins:D

I thought people were saying there was no grit up there ? Sure there giving it out for free to people and have loads as the bloke from Donegal CC said.

RTE even had pics of a lad up with a trailer filling him up because they wont get to his area .

EDIT : As posted all ready , the reason they prob wont get to his area is because he is from Northern Ireland , the cheeky fecker .

Good spot on the yellow reg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heh, and Dublin Fire Brigade were taking the micky out of Dublin Civil Defence after they acquired a second hand snow plow last year. It could come in useful yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Bitterly cold conditions persisting out to T+120 (Day 5)

Exceptionally cold Easterly flow at the weekend with a deep Cold Pool being advected Westwards...

Despite the rise in pressure, there is a definitely a risk of further snowfall. Again, the evolution is not terribly dissimilar from that of Dec 96/January 97 - so definitely something to watch. FAX Charts will be very helpful on this tonight.

Remaining bitterly cold until next Monday at least, with winds from a due Easterly vector, backing slightly southeasterly into Monday.

SA :)

Havent seen the ECM myself yet. Snow event still on for the weekend then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: -0.3 °C
    Dew Point: -0.6 °C

We had a couple of hours of quite heavy snow, but it has stopped now. Looks like there are more of those clouds about though. :)

Here's a SNOW SHOW. :D

th_IMG_1104.jpg

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Still a bit unsure as to whether I should, the car slid around the place a lot last Feb when I went up and that was a few days after the last snow falls. I might park up somewhere lower down and walk the rest of the way!

Last February was slushy wet snow. This is different, is powder snow, far better to drive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

The did not want to make Met Eireann look bad with there ridiculous calculations of 5cm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Really, did TV3 have a news crew in Roundwood?, would love to see that.

Likewise.

If I didn't have kids I'd be heading out Wickla way late this night. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement