Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

squonk wrote: »
    For those whinging about not getting enough snow, here inNorth Clare we've had only sleet all Christmas and only higher ground got lieing snow so, frankly listening to people whinging is getting annoying. At best we've had sleet, in general just rain.

Ye reap what ye snow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is it Snowing in Wicklow? Theres a lot of Cloud up there at the mo .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

RTE reporter Niamh Sweeney, rounding off an update on the weather conditions on Radio 1 just now, said snow in the Irish Sea would move onshore later affecting the east coast from Drogheda south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing again here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sunny in Greystones. Some cloud off the sth east but doesn't look threatening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

North Cork wrote: »
    Warnings for: London & South East

Awareness Level: Red

Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Southhampton and W Berkshire There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

Was just looking at the bbc weather, they issued an extreme weather warning for that area, serious snow over there, and looking at the bbc weather the east coast of Ireland might see a dusting, but thats really it, not going to see anything major here at all:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Ok, that was again *nothing* in Galway. It has stopped a while ago, and temp is higher than before, so even the little dusting we had from the night is gone. It's just not happening here, we have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

SE UK could see up to 16 inches of snow? Wow. Netweather will explode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ffarrell wrote: »
    It seems that there will be a shift in the wind direction from North - North-West to North-East by approx. 6-7 O'clock by which time those showers that are threatening the east coast will be blown inland. Some will be heavy from around midnight on and some will merge.Their will be more of the same tomorrow morning and also I feel on Thursday evening albeit lighter.:D:D:D
    The showers however will be confined to Eastern coastal counties only and any that penetrate inland i.e Carlow, Kilkenny will be very light and tend to fizzle out rather quickly.

Hope Newbridge is set to see some !

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Much more encouraging update from Met Eireann for the East & Southeast & more in line with the overnight ECMWF Guidance..
    Tonight

Breezy and bitterly cold tonight with frost and icy patches. Wintry showers in the east becoming more frequent. Dry in the west and northwest. Low of 1 to -3 degrees, coldest inland. Moderate north to northeasterly winds will increase fresh overnight. Strong near the east and southeast coast.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Wednesday, will be breezy and very cold with some sunny spells. Wintry showers will affect eastern and southeastern coastal regions. Highs of only 1 to 4 degrees. Winds will ease light to moderate by evening.
    Blizzards over mountains in the East tonight when snow showers occur? :D

SA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hope Newbridge is set to see some !

I'll let you know when it drifts over Naas !!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

She got that from me ....only joking but from what I can see and with reference to the charts and intensity in the Irish sea she is bang on although she is only resporting what she heard from Met Eireann. As I say anything from 5-10 centimetres in the next 48 hours is verry possible and unlike the western half of the country it will not be wet snow or thaw quickly unless you are directly on the coast. As I have already said the Western suburbs of Dublin are near disaster areas with untreated ice and snow made worse by last night light snowfall. In addition the tempertures arevery low, hovering aroung 0 and 1 degree at the moment.;)

Shannon has gone off again

They need to replace the kettle lead down there !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I'll let you know when it drifts over Naas !!!! :D

When you see it give a Huff and Puff in the direction of Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

the more i read the more i see that snow dream slipping away from me here. Think the cloud bank coming from Donegal town seems to be staying coastal and slipping on down the country hugging the coast... awww sugar

Accuweather do some nice graphics for the southern UK :pac:

iwsuk1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Proper snowflakes and everything here now.....

Hang on and I'll go and take a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I won't need to give it a huff and puff as it will push inland to these areas (Celbridge/Naas) you mention with relative ease. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully that blob over scotland will come down over Louth, Meath and Dublin later on, we could really do with a bit more snow in snow starved meath and Louth.

did you not get snow in meath there is plenty of it in clonsilla. I had presumed ye got it in clonee and dunboyne. The 70 bus hasnt been running for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I'm finding this radar picture is a good sub for shannon. would still love to know where this snow in the east is going to come from.

• Advertisement

3hr-rain.gif

Showers clipping parts of the east coast at 3pm.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I'm finding this radar picture is a good sub for shannon. would still love to know where this snow in the east is going to come from.

Cold air coming down over the Irish Sea will cause convection and the winds will blow those showers into coastal areas but probably not too far inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

thomasj wrote: »
    did you not get snow in meath there is plenty of it in clonsilla. I had presumed ye got it in clonee and dunboyne. The 70 bus hasnt been running for a day or two.

Snow over here near ashbounre high up on the hill of ardcath!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

thomasj wrote: »

I'm a wee bit north west of Navan and I got a sprinkle. Navan didn't get much as far as I am aware. So it seems that the band went just south of us.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

How far inland are the showers for the east coast likely to travel? Sorry I know some people hate these type of questions. I'm just wonder if the coast means a couple of miles inland or could it be up to 30/40 miles?

When you see it give a Huff and Puff in the direction of Celbridge

I certainly will !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

3hr-rain.gif

The Mid-west lookin good later for some snow showers also...... Overcast in limerick,,, I saw 6 flakes falling just now.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it seems to be getting cloudy again now. the funny thing is now that it has snowed, the temperature is higher than it has been in several days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Any ideas of possible snow fall for the North West in the next 3-4 hours?

Blue skies at the moment in places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

3hr-rain.gif

I will keep on eye on those clouds off the coast and hopefully see them start to come on shore in the next hour or so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement