Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hi Everyone,
    Been glued to these pages for the last 3 weeks and have found the cold spell fascinating. Some amazingly optimistic forecast at times but the anticipation is 50% of the fun. Always been a snow lover myself and never realised there were as many weather freaks as me lol. How I laughed when I came across my fellow lamp post watchers!!!

Some of the models have been amazing to look at especially as they are always a few days out and in my heart I know they won't come off for this part of the south east. I'm expecting us to live up to our sunny south east tag with dry, sunny cold days and hard frosty nights for the next 7 days. The north easterlies just won't do it for Waterford/Kilkenny area.

With pressure due to build the next big event for me is in a weeks time as to whether the mild Atlantic gives the cold a shove or we get renewed easterlies that may give something white this way. It's been the longest prolonged cold spell in my memory and even though it hasn't delivered snow it's been exciting viewing on here and tv.
    Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

yea hopefully something will materialise on thursday in the western seaboard area.

wether it snows on the east coast i honestly couldnt give a rats ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snow now turned to 100% rain here in mayo, good while it lasted. i see shannon radar is Back on line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Hi Everyone,
    Been glued to these pages for the last 3 weeks and have found the cold spell fascinating. Some amazingly optimistic forecast at times but the anticipation is 50% of the fun. Always been a snow lover myself and never realised there were as many weather freaks as me lol. How I laughed when I came across my fellow lamp post watchers!!!

Some of the models have been amazing to look at especially as they are always a few days out and in my heart I know they won't come off for this part of the south east. I'm expecting us to live up to our sunny south east tag with dry, sunny cold days and hard frosty nights for the next 7 days. The north easterlies just won't do it for Waterford/Kilkenny area.

With pressure due to build the next big event for me is in a weeks time as to whether the mild Atlantic gives the cold a shove or we get renewed easterlies that may give something white this way. It's been the longest prolonged cold spell in my memory and even though it hasn't delivered snow it's been exciting viewing on here and tv.
    Seinfeld.

Cheers for that but do cross those fingers and chilly toes for Waterford & Kilkenny to get a decent covering over the next few days!!

Can anyone confirm my hopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

the rain has turned to 100 % rain in west mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Couple of snow showers here, nothing substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Very cold and bright this afternoon with sunny spells. Dry apart from some wintry showers in the east later. Highs of only 0 to 3 degrees but feeling colder in a moderate to fresh northerly breeze. Frost and ice will linger in parts.

Tonight: Breezy and bitterly cold tonight with frost and icy patches. Wintry showers in the east becoming more frequent. Dry in the west and northwest. Low of 1 to -3 degrees, coldest inland. Moderate north to northeasterly winds will increase fresh overnight. Strong near the east and southeast coast.

Tomorrow: Wednesday, will be breezy and very cold with some sunny spells. Wintry showers will affect eastern and southeastern coastal regions. Highs of only 1 to 4 degrees. Winds will ease light to moderate by evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just in and had a quick look through the models. Seems to be a low pressure system forming to the west of Spain which is causing the differences between GFS and the other majors at the moment. GFS brings the low towards the N.African coast allowing the high to sink over us, while ECM has it off the Portuguese coast, propping up our high and allowing Easterlies.

ECM does look amazing. Long fetch Easterlies swinging around to N.East. Cold lovers heaven. The 06z tomorrow should be an interesting run.

Anything that fell early this morning is still lying here. Absolutely no thaw and roads are a disaster. The windchill is unreal. Feels like -10 out there and with the pressure gradient tightening tonight in the east/s.east, thats going to make it feel even colder.

Should be interesting watching the Irish sea radars tonight from about 8pm. Tense night ahead...again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

steady graupel falling here.temp1.3 dp -2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Knock Airport closed due to heavy snowfall

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/weather.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

edit: Hehe Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

snowing again in coolaney, sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »

edit: Hehe Pangea
    lol too slow :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Getting reports that North Wales is a white out...
    I noticed a swirl on the radar... Was that the polar low that was mentioned last night...?
    Really hoping for snow in Wicklow tonight...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Heavy snow again in south Sligo. As heavy as this morning. Snow covering here since the Sunday before Christmas

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely big bubbly clouds to my east. :(

-0.2c here with a DP of -2.1c. Barely went above freezing today (went to 0.2c at lunchtime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Getting reports that North Wales is a white out...
    I noticed a swirl on the radar... Was that the polar low that was mentioned last night...?
    Really hoping for snow in Wicklow tonight...?

Yeah those showers we were supposed to get on the east where they coming from? Looks like those ones coming across from Liverpool havent come towards us but curled back into Irish Sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Laducar wrote: »
    Heavy snow again in south Sligo. As heavy as this morning. Snow covering here since the Sunday before Christmas

Where abouts in S Sligo Lauder?

Sleety stuff falling now in Ballisodare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS rolling out now, let's see what it throws up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Upper winds seem to be North-North East by now, some bubbly cumulus is coming in off the irish sea here anyway, surface winds still North-Westerly though keeping the temp at 1.6C/-3.1C for now

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Yeah those showers we were supposed to get on the east where they coming from? Looks like those ones coming across from Liverpool havent come towards us but curled back into Irish Sea
    Thats the low pressure circulation.
    It moves tonight seemingly bringing them closer.

Jenzz-whats the road off the N11 up to Enniskerry vilage like?
    I've to go up there this evening which should be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

new GFS run looks great for east.

ukprec.png

uksnowrisk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Please note that due to copyright issues I will no longer be able to post Met Eireann aviation material on this site. I will still give summaries where I can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Duiske wrote: »
    Just in and had a quick look through the models. Seems to be a low pressure system forming to the west of Spain which is causing the differences between GFS and the other majors at the moment. GFS brings the low towards the N.African coast allowing the high to sink over us, while ECM has it off the Portuguese coast, propping up our high and allowing Easterlies.

ECM does look amazing. Long fetch Easterlies swinging around to N.East. Cold lovers heaven. The 06z tomorrow should be an interesting run.

Anything that fell early this morning is still lying here. Absolutely no thaw and roads are a disaster. The windchill is unreal. Feels like -10 out there and with the pressure gradient tightening tonight in the east/s.east, thats going to make it feel even colder.

Should be interesting watching the Irish sea radars tonight from about 8pm. Tense night ahead...again :D

On current form the ECM would be my fav to be right ;)

Lethal - They are saying its passable but Daddy turned back this morning ( very unlike him - would have to be the martyr & tell the tale). Id try turn off at Kilcroney & go that way - Under more trees so more thaw - Then head in by back of powerscourt. Wouldnt chance it unless you have to as nothing bar n11 is gritted.

I can see those large white bubbly clouds heading toward Lucan, I hope.
    Im at the stage now, where Ill have to see more snow to beleive it.Forecasts seem to be all over the place, some are saying snow others not, sky weather had no snow for dublin earlier, so Im lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Bitterly cold here in Dublin CC,

There has been blue skies here all day however I can now see some cloud build up.

Heres hoping for snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Su Campu wrote: »
    Please note that due to copyright issues I will no longer be able to post Met Eireann aviation material on this site. I will still give summaries where I can

It is a pity Met Eireann will not post them giving there is a member by the name 'Met Eireann' who posts stuff from Met Eireann.
    Maybe it is a real person maybe a bot, I don't know.

trogdor wrote: »
    Upper winds seem to be North-North East by now, some bubbly cumulus is coming in off the irish sea here anyway, surface winds still North-Westerly though keeping the temp at 1.6C/-3.1C for now

DP well down compared to last night - shes some way to come back up to start the showers as rain

( I know clutching at big straws here):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

There's plenty of traffic going up it now. It was gritted recently. Some side roads and paths in Enniskerry gritted recently also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement