Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New forecast from Met Eireann :

National Forecast

05 January 2010 12:06

Today

Scattered wintry showers in many parts of Ulster and Connaught, as well as western coasts of Munster, some thundery and falling as snow in places. Elsewhere will be dry with sunny spells but wintry showers are likely to appear near eastern coasts later. Moderate to fresh, northwest to north winds will make it feel bitterly cold; highest temperatures 0 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Tonight, wintry showers in the north and west will become isolated but those affecting eastern coasts will become more frequent. As a result, some snowfall will occur in east Leinster before morning. Moderate to fresh, northerly winds will increase strong at times in the east and southeast. Lowest temperatures +1 to -4 degrees, coldest in western areas, and with widespread frost and ice persisting.

Tomorrow

On Wednesday, wintry showers will continue in eastern, northern and northwestern coastal counties, with further snow in places. Elsewhere will be dry with sunny spells. Winds will be moderate, locally fresh, northerly and it will remain bitterly cold; highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees Celsius.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I still think that clump from scotland is going to make way somewhere here. It still hasnt lost intensity and moving nicely. Been following it for the last 2 hours.

Have been looking at that too over the last couple of hours.

At least David Rogers just said on the radio that wintry showers will become more frequent on the east coast overnight leading to some accumulations.

Just gone up to 0.0c here now DP -0.8c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Stopped for the moment but the sky is still very dark

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Going off for an hour now - I am going to delegate - can someone organise a NE wind while I'm gone. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GALWAY CITY
    current.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Moderate snow shower at Valley, just across the water near Holyhead....:mad:

METAR EGOV 051150Z 36011KT 1200 SHSN FEW006 BKN012 00/M00 Q1003 AMB TEMPO 4000 GRN=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

New forecast from Met Eireann :

National Forecast

05 January 2010 12:06

Today

Scattered wintry showers in many parts of Ulster and Connaught, as well as western coasts of Munster, some thundery and falling as snow in places. Elsewhere will be dry with sunny spells but wintry showers are likely to appear near eastern coasts later. Moderate to fresh, northwest to north winds will make it feel bitterly cold; highest temperatures 0 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Tonight

Tonight, wintry showers in the north and west will become isolated but those affecting eastern coasts will become more frequent. As a result, some snowfall will occur in east Leinster before morning. Moderate to fresh, northerly winds will increase strong at times in the east and southeast. Lowest temperatures +1 to -4 degrees, coldest in western areas, and with widespread frost and ice persisting.

Tomorrow

On Wednesday, wintry showers will continue in eastern, northern and northwestern coastal counties, with further snow in places. Elsewhere will be dry with sunny spells. Winds will be moderate, locally fresh, northerly and it will remain bitterly cold; highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees Celsius.

I would have no complaints with that forecast although I was hoping they would say the wind will come in from the east .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Looks as if the East is in for a pasting tonight and tomorrow according to the latest from Met Eireann and judging by the luck of some of those shower formations that have yet to be blown in I would imagaine snowfall of between 5-10 centimetres with much higher accumulations on high ground. I would say from about 6-7 this evening it will start snowing in the East.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Beautiful blue skies.......araghhhhhhh!!!! sun out now too and melting all me beautiful snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

ffarrell wrote: »
    Looks as if the East is in for a pasting tonight and tomorrow according to the latest from Met Eireann and judging by the luck of some of those shower formations that have yet to be blown in I would imagaine snowfall of between 5-10 centimetres with much higher accumulations on high ground. I would say from about 6-7 this evening it will start snowing in the East.:D

yippey!!!! gawd hope your right, (i trust yer) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Does anyone know why it takes so long for the Data from M2 buoy to update ?

"a spell of rain sleet and some snow will affect some Atlantic seaboards" - Thursday

They have changed might to will since yesterday. It can only get better from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You promise? Well for Dublin anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was... interesting...

Not too well today so was working with the curtains closed; knitting baby hats and booties ready for the spring and summer markets. I reckon that after a winter like this there will be a small baby boom.:)

So intend to be well stocked.;)

Went to let the dogs out, to find three to four inches of the best kind of snow.... Soft and crisp atop the old iced stuff.

Every tree and bush was coated, and visible showers still surging in around blue sky.

Breathtaking; some has blown of now so I caught it at just the right moment.

Have filled the camera once more..
    Hello Graces7. I have been reading this thread over the last few days and youre posts are always interesting! I too am knitting in my kitchen and Im keeping the curtains closed to conserve the heat. Although by all accounts you are in different conditions to me. I hope you will continue your updates to us all and I wish you well today. Keep warm:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    "a spell of rain sleet and some snow will affect some Atlantic seaboards" - Thursday

They have changed might to will since yesterday. It can only get better from here.

Has any snow reached you yet Wolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I see met eireann now include north west on tomorrows forecast.

Has any snow reached you yet Wolf?
    nothing yet Deep. Its is getting darker so perhaps there will be a sprinkling. No thaw here today and still 1-2 inches lying from last week. Temps are ok for snow so fingers crossed. How are things in Tuam now?

There fickle in here I tell ya ! If they dont get there snow , they will want your head on a plate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Looking at raintoday there seems to be some showers bubbling up off the Irish sea just off the coast of Dublin. Any idea if these could drop some snow on us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Is raintoday.co.uk down.... taking ages to load

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 yeneewss

Are you kidding???? Saw a guy knocked unconscious after slipping on it yesterday while going to the bus stop - ambulance etc. Thank you Fingal County Council!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

That band looks like it is heading for Limerick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is raintoday.co.uk down.... taking ages to load

Nope, make sure you include the whole url http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

francosp wrote: »
    Looking at raintoday there seems to be some showers bubbling up off the Irish sea just off the coast of Dublin. Any idea if these could drop some snow on us ?

Prob not with the wind direction the way it is at the moment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've posted the 18Z Low Level aviation chart in the Aviation thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    nothing yet Deep. Its is getting darker so perhaps there will be a sprinkling. No thaw here today and still 1-2 inches lying from last week. Temps are ok for snow so fingers crossed. How are things in Tuam now?

All quite up here again Wolf. Remains cloudy but snow has stopped. I think a slight thaw is taking place as I hear a lot of "slushy" sounds as cars pass by on the road outside. .0.7c at the mo and wind increasingly a little at 8mph 10 min mean.

Hoping you'll scrape something at least Wolfe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Cionád wrote: »
    Nope, make sure you include the whole url http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I did. I have it now. Thanks.

Pic taken looking due south. Cloud cover increasing from north still. As you can see snow is still lying from last week.

EDIT: Moderate snow here now. The Midwest has officially got snow today!

Mothman wrote: »
    It worked for BB before as well
    Fecking lack of snow,we never get it down here and we ain't gonna either.
    It's too marginal I expect a drizzly shower at best with the rest of the showers fecking off down to cornwall.
    Bah humbug and it's still Xmas.

Great to hear of whats on out west though.

• Advertisement

I would have no complaints with that forecast although I was hoping they would say the wind will come in from the east .
    They said Northeast gales on the 1255 forecast.
    I think they did a typo on the web one.
    Wind is already NE here and it has done some gusting-though that might be due to the proximity of off shore showers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement