Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We got about an inch of snow, oh well won't see any bills in the post for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That was... interesting...

Not too well today so was working with the curtains closed; knitting baby hats and booties ready for the spring and summer markets. I reckon that after a winter like this there will be a small baby boom.:)

So intend to be well stocked.;)

Went to let the dogs out, to find three to four inches of the best kind of snow.... Soft and crisp atop the old iced stuff.

Every tree and bush was coated, and visible showers still surging in around blue sky.

Breathtaking; some has blown of now so I caught it at just the right moment.

Have filled the camera once more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Huge snow shower about 10 miles off the coast ... so near yet so far:rolleyes: they seem to be staying out to sea and nothing to suggest them hitting wicklow at least for the time being..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Someof those showers in the Irish sea are very ominous but will not move inland to Dublin and Wicklow unless there is a change in wind direction. It needs to turn North - Easterly or the game is up. They are being blown lover to Wales.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Still snowing here but much lighter, got about 2cm now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

ffarrell wrote: »
    Someof those showers in the Irish sea are very ominous but will not move inland to Dublin and Wicklow unless there is a change in wind direction. It needs to turn North - Easterly or the game is up. They are being blown lover to Wales.:rolleyes:
    yep looks that way .. maybe if we all get our vacume cleaners out and face them towards the snow showers we can pull them to the coast!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice snowwwwwwww in Galway City now :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Now it has become VERY dark here in Galway City... expecting the snow to last for at least half an hour more :)
    Pretty impressive stuff. Bit mild though, not sticking everywhere yet-

Edit: ok, not it IS heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

proper big flakes floating down now, ground still frozen so it should settle

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

The drizzle that fell last night frooze over and nothing since in Carrickmacross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

wet snow falling by the coast near westport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Snowing hard in Galway City but of course the sun had thawed everything so its not settling. Yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OK.. so I think that we can still take it that what we get up here will make it at least to Galway. Takes about 2 hours to make it that far. Hmm better go back and check whats coming from Scotland:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

any chance that this lot could make a short detour inland for an hour or so???

Please???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

any chance that this lot could make a short detour inland for an hour or so???

Please???

Seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

ffarrell wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the sun is peeking through now. still cloudy all around. so hopefully there is more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Back northerly now - seems to be inching ever so slowly from w to nw to n so hopefull ne then e in the afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Zzippy wrote: »
    Snowing hard in Galway City but of course the sun had thawed everything so its not settling. Yet!
    I'm just outside of the town & it's sticking here:D:D:D
    If it keeps falling at this rate it will start to stick in town too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Taken about 5 mins ago:

DSC02304.jpg

Has eased up big time now with just a few rogue flakes in the wind. Remains cloudy with temp at a steady 0.5c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Happy for you DE. Looks like you are getting some good stuff there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

heavy snowfall in galway city now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the one day the bloody Shannon radar decided to go wonky!
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051345&sat=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

It has passed over and remained a sleet and rain event just inside the coast in Southwest Mayo. I am mildly jealous of all those without the presence of mild Atlantic air, now with an inch or two of snow outside their houses :)

image.jpg

Here is a useful webcam for those who wish to look at the snow in Claremorris in East Mayo. http://www.irishtrivia.com/clarecam.htm

http://irishmarinelife.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Can anyone put up pics from Galway city, showing intensity nicely? Folks at home don't believe me when I'm saying "heavy snow" here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Happy for you DE. Looks like you are getting some good stuff there! :pac:

Thanks Maq! A little bit too short for my liking, but sweet nonetheless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Belmullet reported recent thunderstorm at 1200

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I still think that clump from scotland is going to make way somewhere here. It still hasnt lost intensity and moving nicely. Been following it for the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

tiny, weeny bit of dandruff-y type snow falling in East Clare now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I hope so!! Might get something in Navan afterall!:D
    I still think that clump from scotland is going to make way somewhere here. It still hasnt lost intensity and moving nicely. Been following it for the last 2 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement