Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Shannon's back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Unbelievable news report just on RTE news... they did a report on somewhere...wait for it...without any snow! Brilliant Journalism! Couldn't they make it to the North West???

To be fair though... lucky for us... they did report on the snow in Momgolia!:eek: And Korea!:eek: And England! :eek: Very useful to Irish viewers.

And they get public funding for that rubbish, good job we have got boards.ie weather to find out what is happening or we wouldn't know what was going on - except for in Mongolia.

Shame on them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    "a spell of rain sleet and some snow will affect some Atlantic seaboards" - Thursday

They have changed might to will since yesterday. It can only get better from here.

so you could be in for a nice top up on thursday considering you're a bit higher up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The sun managed to thaw most of what fell here. shaded areas still have a white covering though.

just gotten overcast also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fecking lack of snow,we never get it down here and we ain't gonna either.

Did you not get a couple of inches New Years Eve?

I'd be shocked if you didn't see some snow tonight/tomorrow morning.

I don't think I'll be seeing any myself though, just too far west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Just been down at Dollymount. There's a fairly strong offshore breeze blowing, it seems to be killing off any clouds that want to come ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Fionagus wrote: »
    Shannon's back!!!

So it is! :)

Current temp 2.8c and DP of -0.3c, sunny, brisk day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

They don't have to go to the North West - just go to the highly populated parts of West and South West Dublin which has the worst conditions of all - overnight snowfall on top of about 4 centimetres of snow and ice- A whiteout. and it has been like this since New Yera's eve. Looks slushy and wet in Galway and the West. If I knew how to upload the pictures to this site I would. Anybody tell how to do this me so that I can send them from Castleknock, Clonsilla and Phoenix Park??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lol coudnt believe RTE's report, didnt show the north at all ,showed bloody limrick where some pipe burst! Snow ghost I agree with you, It said heavy snow in .... CHINA! lol I thought they were gona say Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking out the window it certainly looks grim for the Dublin area, but as long as pressure is falling there's still a ray of hope. If my barometer was rising (which it isn't) then I'd call it a day!
    But when is this damn airflow going to turn NE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I still think that clump from scotland is going to make way somewhere here. It still hasnt lost intensity and moving nicely. Been following it for the last 2 hours.

I just know that once the winds start kicking from a more easterly direction that band will get pushed into NW coast bypassing Leinster. It just looks too nice to happen here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Shannon radar's back!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Pangea wrote: »
    Lol coudnt believe RTE's report, didnt show the north at all ,showed bloody limrick where some pipe burst!

A pipe?! A frikkin' pipe?! Jesus, have you got a link to that sory, is Limerick ok??

:pac:

That is RTE for you with lots of snow on their doorstep in the Dublin suburbs and metres of the stuff in the Hills, like the Alps for Christ sake....they are skiing, snowboarding the lot.:D

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I just know that once the winds start kicking from a more easterly direction that band will get pushed into NW coast bypassing Leinster. It just looks too nice to happen here :pac:

Don't be such a whinger. You will get plenty of it tonight. If not come to the Phoeni:Dx park and the plush residence of Castleknock and you will have loads to keep you happy.:D

Did you not get a couple of inches New Years Eve?

I'd be shocked if you didn't see some snow tonight/tomorrow morning.

I don't think I'll be seeing any myself though, just too far west.
    See Mothmans post in relation to nacho's moan this morning and you'll get the context :pac:

Wind gusty here now NNE-twas light earlier and going all over the place really,it went back NW then N and now NNE again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully that blob over scotland will come down over Louth, Meath and Dublin later on, we could really do with a bit more snow in snow starved meath and Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pangea wrote: »
    Lol coudnt believe RTE's report, didnt show the north at all ,showed bloody limrick where some pipe burst! Snow ghost I agree with you, It said heavy snow in .... CHINA! lol I thought they were gona say Donegal.

It was unbelievable Pangea... that's what our taxes get wasted on... I'm going to send them a strongly worded email.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't see any more Snow for anywhere apart from East Coast on this side of the country

the snow has stopped and any on the ground is wet and slushy. Still, any snow in Galway is a bonus & I love watching it fall:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Villain wrote: »
    Can't see any more Snow for anywhere apart from East Coast on this side of the country

Wanna go halves on hiring that boat ??? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm near Heuston station and we have pure blue skies, but as I look to the east I can see a band of cloud many miles long off the coast , just sitting there, teasing and tempting at the same time!

EDIT: They appear to be staying the same distance off coast but moving southerly, as forecasted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snow in Moycullen at the moment. Our second decent shower of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Nor me, we won't get anymore anyhow. Not for at least 4 or 5 days, as far as the reliable forecast can go. My wish, is to be able to make a decent sized snowman for the kids. I have not been able to do this here, since December 2000. Truly we live in a snow desert.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Moderate snow here still. Starting to settle properly now on existing snow cover. While the precip won't last much longer it is a beautiful thing to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

For those whinging about not getting enough snow, here inNorth Clare we've had only sleet all Christmas and only higher ground got lieing snow so, frankly listening to people whinging is getting annoying. At best we've had sleet, in general just rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I agree, I don't think there will be enough of an easterly dimension to the wind to get the showers very far inland.

sean555 wrote: »
    Snow in Moycullen at the moment. Our second decent shower of the day.
    More on the way for me so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Warnings for: London & South East

Awareness Level: Red

Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Southhampton and W Berkshire There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

• Advertisement

It seems that there will be a shift in the wind direction from North - North-West to North-East by approx. 6-7 O'clock by which time those showers that are threatening the east coast will be blown inland. Some will be heavy from around midnight on and some will merge.Their will be more of the same tomorrow morning and also I feel on Thursday evening albeit lighter.:D:D:D
    The showers however will be confined to Eastern coastal counties only and any that penetrate inland i.e Carlow, Kilkenny will be very light and tend to fizzle out rather quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement