Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it seems to be getting cloudy again now. the funny thing is now that it has snowed, the temperature is higher than it has been in several days.
    it's the upper airmass that is doing the trick for you.

BTW, terrible news!!

"filming had been suspended on Coronation Street"

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

For me Met Eireann has been spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »

BTW, terrible news!!

expect a lot of filming will be canceled here too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    How far inland are the showers for the east coast likely to travel? Sorry I know some people hate these type of questions. I'm just wonder if the coast means a couple of miles inland or could it be up to 30/40 miles?

With 30knot steering winds probably 10-15 miles, then they start dying out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

had a good covering of snow around 11.starting up again now/cbar area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »

BTW, terrible news!!

I dreamt last night that Ken Barlow got snowed in and then the East did... woohoo !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

A few scenes around Donabate a little after 1200 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Su Campu wrote: »
    With 30knot steering winds probably 10-15 miles, then they start dying out

Agreed Su Campu,

Perhaps a little more inland much later on (overnight) & into tomorrow as the winds veer more northeasterly...

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Very steady snowfall here in Clare now, although the flakes are quite small.

I'm in the vicinity of Woodcock/Gallows Hill about 5 miles from Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Snow starting to fall in Limerick city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thomasj wrote: »
    did you not get snow in meath there is plenty of it in clonsilla. I had presumed ye got it in clonee and dunboyne. The 70 bus hasnt been running for a day or two.

We got the tail end of it here, about 3-4cm on the ground from the past 3 snowfalls, looks nice but afaik there is only a dusting/nothing around Navan and other parts of Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Ya very overcast here now in Limerick. Fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Agreed Su Campu,

Perhaps a little more inland much later on (overnight) & into tomorrow as the winds veer more northeasterly...

Doesn't look like I will see much out of this event so! Hopefully next time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Ive been glued to this thread for atleast two weeks now, and nearly every day people say its going to be snowing in Dublin, and every morning except for NYE im disappointed to see a few flakes on the ground!! :( Can anyone tell me will it actually snow and get deep in Dublin before thursday so schools are closed??? :o

Finally wind 1 deg North :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

sky news seems to be getting quite hysterical now. Is it really that bad over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Davo D wrote: »
    sky news seems to be getting quite hysterical now. Is it really that bad over there?

To be fair, Sky News get hysterical over absolutely anything if it'll get some viewers.

Sun splitting the stones in Lucan at the moment. Not much melting happening though, bar the snow on the roof of the cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    Finally wind 1 deg North :D

Occasional swings just east of north, but hasn't swung just yet still North-West for now:). Just watch the temp/dp as it does, could rise a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

malman wrote: »
    For me Met Eireann has been spot on.

im not quiet sure what i made of some of met eireanns forecasts.

There were few radical changes made to forecasts made.

The word "localised " mentioned in forecasts was a noticable indication of playing it safe.

As one of the lucky people to get a substancial amount of snow its been there since new years day and topped up again this morning im not quiet sure the met forecast was correct for the area i live in although the localised element is noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I will see much out of this event so! Hopefully next time:D

Hard one to call really, depends upon exactly how the the flow sets up etc..

Latest Hirlam looks fairly good in my opinion, with some penetration inland to many Eastern & Southeastern areas..

As ever, very hard to predict..

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote: »
    Occasional swings just east of north, but hasn't swung just yet still North-West for now:). Just watch the temp/dp as it does, could rise a bit...

I think im a bit cooler than you - Hose froze so Id have to be @ or below freezing to do that yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Davo D wrote: »

The UK Met Office is saying some areas there could see up to around 16 inches of snow, that would be bad yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Reportedly, 35 US States are experiencing Frost conditions with some temps reaching the -20/30 F*

Im chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Light snowfall in Galway city, freezing on the ground now though..should make the drive home scarier than the drive in. Not enough grit/salt on the Motorway:mad: A disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

Wonder if those band of showers will make it over Scotland and into Ireland sure the Irish sea might pep them up again if they make it this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Starting to snow hard here in Limerick city (Old Cork Rd)....

Precip 12pm tomorrow :
    PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Precip 12pm tomorrow :
    PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png

is there any update on the potential for Thursday or will it just skirt the west coast?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Sky very dark over south Sligo again. Looking ominous for another dumping

• Advertisement

is there any update on the potential for Thursday or will it just skirt the west coast?

thanks!

Snowaddict can probably answer that better than me. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement