Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Laducar wrote: »
    Heavy snow again in south Sligo. As heavy as this morning. Snow covering here since the Sunday before Christmas

The noon snow in Galway city did not stick! A big cloud upon us again. Fingers crossed! The city has not had good snow since 2000.We had a little snow on xmas morning in 2004 but did not have enough for a snowman!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Large build up of cloud coming towards swords from NNE, Lots of cloud out to the east over the irish sea also, none of that coming this way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any idea when the winds are expected to shift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yep, the NW probably looking the best over the next 48 hours on this GFS run.

Meanwhile BBC News reporting on a train in Mongolia running into a 7 foot snow drift and temps of -32 in China. Nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    gfs is showing activity for NW and W tomorrow and Thursday morn

Indeed, but the main feature is still staying offshore. However, it looks like Western Donegal & Mayo, as well as other coastal fringes could well see more snow showers. It would be best to keep this feature as offshore as possible anyway to avoid mixing of the air with a maritime influence.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Being a beginner, my understanding of GFS charts is probably far from good, but I see that the winds stay Norterly until around midnight, following approx. 12 hours of possible showers from Dundalk southwards, penetration up to around 30-40 miles, with some high accummulations possible locally. Wicklow mountains may certainly look like Alps by this time tomorrow. The night is supposed to look just like the last one was expected to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

A few showers pepping up there

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Donabate looking east at 1545.

linguist wrote: »

Wow ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

i102 radio news just reported that Knock airport has just been forced to close... only an hour ago they reported that Knock airport had reopened and was talking to the marketing executive who was saying it was all good... he must have spoke tooooo soon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    gfs is showing activity for NW and W tomorrow and Thursday morn

EDIT
    add SW to that for Thur eve
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/12/51/ukprec.png

looks like here in Kerry we will be deluged on Thursday

12Z GFS is bone dry with no precip from Thursday evening through to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Wow looks like you're snowed in there!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Notice also, out to T+84, when comparing 850mb temperatures, how GFS is painfully slowly falling into line with the other models regarding the Easterly/Northeasterly flow later in the week.

Meanwhile, GME 12Z holds firm out to T+108 with a strong Easterly flow:

gme-0-108.png

SA :)

Would any west dubs here think we'd be in with a chance of sneacta tonight??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I have a very similar view looking east from Sandyford Industrial Estate. The cloud is slipping in a southerly direction and hasn't come any nearer all day. I can see the tops of the ESB chimneys at Ringsend from here and the direction the smoke is blowing tells explains why. When it starts blowing in my direction then it's game on. (of course before then, I'll be heading home).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Jake1 wrote: »

I'd say yes, between midnight and 6am, but let's have our experts confirm that (or not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

99% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    DP well down compared to last night - shes some way to come back up to start the showers as rain

( I know clutching at big straws here):D

Yeah i don't think there's too much risk in that area, even the dp at the m2 bouy is -0.5C what we need is ppn:), showers just off the coast seem to be growing a bit atm though, as in not on the satellite but i can actually see them:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

There could be a good chance alright !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

please let me get a snowday off work tomorrow

We should hire everyone in Wales to blow west at the same time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Yeah i don't think there's too much risk in that area, even the dp at the m2 bouy is -0.5C what we need is ppn:), showers just off the coast seem to be growing a bit atm though, as in not on the satellite but i can actually see them:p

Been out digging the ice off where it burst & froze last night.. Jesus shes cold out there ! Raintoday showing good few pepping up out there now - have you any idea where our snow will be coming from tonight. I thouht that belt from liverpool was coming over - obviously not as shes gone sth & back into wales a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

francosp wrote: »
    There could be a good chance alright !

There just might possibly be a very good chance alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Heavy looking clouds passing over head here again.. last time they passed about 30 or 40 mins ago they just spit out a few rain/sleet drops and passed on and seems from other posts to have dropped snow in south sligo instead :( Happy for ye but give us back our snow....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Su, do you think it'll push in as far as Navan? or is that hoping too much?
    Su Campu wrote: »
    99% sure

A long way off, but Saturday looking better on the 12Z GFS run than the 06Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Just had small snow shower here in wicklow town :) some big snowflakes to start then small grainy snow for about 5 mins ...clouds seem to be building over the irish sea.. hopfully this is the start to some showers making landfall on the east coast:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

I am goin pop over to Redcastle hotel in Donegal for a couple of days and play golf in the snow as it looks bone dry here in the east

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement