Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside BDO World Darts Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

Adams is missing his doubles big time at the moment, should be 4-1 up after that last set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I wonder if Chisnal can produce another big comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Adams still seems in control

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

"Nerves of steel required here.... And that is nerves of Tungsten from Adams!"
    As he broke Chisnall's throw in the first leg of the 9th set.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Nice to see a competitive final for a change. Adam's demons are still with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've never seen coverage of a World Championship final of any sport have such awful production values.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

does adams not believe in smileing

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

The old dog "or Wolf" for the long road..... Adams wins again. Big last 2 sets there for both men with a difference of £70,000 Sterling. Lotta money in these times. Chisnall will come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

adams experence showed in the last set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

God i hate Martin Adams so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

amacachi wrote: »
    I've never seen coverage of a World Championship final of any sport have such awful production values.

pathetic, absolutley pathetic, there was at least 5 times tonight where the camera wasnt on the double that the leg was won on

and whats with all the quick flashy camera work, ont he player then quickly to the board, very hard to focus on

as for the final

great entertainment indeed, we all know the quality isnt of the pdc standard, but its fantastic entertainment none the less

wolfie should have dominated Chizzy, could, and should have been 4 nothing up, and should have wrapped it up even earlier, but fairplay to Chizzy for fighting back, it made for tense viewing

im still of the thinking that the sooner the BDO ceases to exist, the better it will be for the game of darts as a whole, but we`ll leave that discussion for another night

congrats wolfie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

God i hate Martin Adams so much

It makes me cringe that Martin Adams is now a 2 time world champion, Thinkin of all the great players not to win a world title either by swichin to the PDC or just been unlucky, Last time he won it when the likes of Klassin, Barney, Van Gerwin had baled out, This time Witlock, Webster, Anderson have cleared out leavin the door open for wolfie again. All i can say is Division 2 darts at its best,

Waites will bale out too and i would not be surprised if Chizzy was to head over to the PDC in another year or two as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Poor old Chizzy. He'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The PDC is champions league of darts and the BDO is like the scottish premier compared to it with only few decent players compared to PDC.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He threw it away so many times tbh. Even at the end. 3 darts to bring it to 6-6 should have been a gift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

A great final, and credit to both players. Wolfie a great champion, and Chizzy without doubt a future one. Some great moments, such as Wolfie's 170 checkout and Chizzy's memeorable double 6 to make it 4-4, when you could have heard a pin drop at the Lakeside. That's the definition of "the very best of order".

Wolfie's experience and sheer professionalism shone through, he demonstrated why he's been England captain since 1993. A fitting finale to a memorable tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No he didn't last the full year.

:eek: loyality eh? wish some tv presenter would remind him of past failure's when he uses that excuse not to take part in GSOD this year!
    Adams played in the PDC between 99 and 01, before eligibility for tournaments was restricted to PDPA players only. Contrary to popular opinion he did quite well. Semi finals of world Matchplay in 2001 losing to Taylor. He won the Scania open in 99 beating Taylor, reached the 1/4 final of the Grand Prix in 2001. He also reached a semi in 97 losing to Taylor. I have no idea if he entered all tournaments during this time but I doubt it as he was cetainly in the BDO worlds.
    I think the idea that he couldn't compete with PDC players is silly. He's a very good experienced player while perhaps not at the highest level he would certainly be involved at the business end of TV tournaments.
    There seems generally to be a lot of antagonism towards him but personally I've always liked the guy. He holds a lot of store in being England Captain and I think thats the main reason he never left. Why he doesn't compete in th GSOD only he knows but its a free world.

That actually reads like a C&P from wikipedia :eek: so much so I checked wiki :D (pssttttt.....its not a C&P job folks)
    pathetic, absolutley pathetic, there was at least 5 times tonight where the camera wasnt on the double that the leg was won on

and whats with all the quick flashy camera work, ont he player then quickly to the board, very hard to focus on

as for the final

great entertainment indeed, we all know the quality isnt of the pdc standard, but its fantastic entertainment none the less

wolfie should have dominated Chizzy, could, and should have been 4 nothing up, and should have wrapped it up even earlier, but fairplay to Chizzy for fighting back, it made for tense viewing

im still of the thinking that the sooner the BDO ceases to exist, the better it will be for the game of darts as a whole, but we`ll leave that discussion for another night

congrats wolfie!!

I got sore head watching highlights the other night. The split second switching between the board to the player to a random double to some boot in the crowd to the other player taking a drink to a close up of a flight to the players family then back to the board was way too much for my simple brain to handle :eek:

I thought the match was very entertaining. Chisnall really needs to take his time and consider what he's on and what he'll be left with. At one stage(maybe about 4 sets each) he was on 198 in the leg, threw 20,T20 and instead of taking the 18 route stayed on 20's to leave himself 98 :confused: He lost the leg!

Back to the shoddy BBC. Tony Green..........WTF? :eek:

Did he really say(when Adams was stepping up for his 170 checkout) he needs 2 double tops and the bull to win the leg? I could have swore he said that!

I actually would far rather have Sid's far fetched nonsense than listen to Tony Green's complete and utter trivial bollocks! Like when the camera is on some punter in the crowd "ohhh yes, there he is"....there is f**kin who? Some drunk trying to tell us what the crowd are upto?
    The PDC is champions league of darts and the BDO is like the scottish premier compared to it with only few decent players compared to PDC.

C'mon....don't insult the Scottish league, at least the only 2 decent(by Scottish football standards) teams have no choice and have to stay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I've been following BDO darts for many years now on BBC and i have to say this the coverage this year was brutal! Those 2 presenters were shocking,the camera work was terrible and Tony Green's commentary was a joke! Green made so many mistakes commentating it was ridiculous and he went completely off topic many times during games! The BBC don't hold darts high up on their list of priority sports. The ending transmission of the Chisnall-Hankey game at 4-4 just proves they have no interest in the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

bbc were shocking but I would prefare tony green over sid as bad as tony is.

also agree about chisnall being very bad at adding up what he needed
    once or twice he could of using the bull or 25 route with his last dart but would hit 20 to leave 92 or 93.

I'd love to see chisnall join the pdc.
    if he gave up his day job and practiced full time the potential he has could lead to anything.
    his never say die attitude and hiting so many 180's in matches
    would beat most of the pdc players at the moment.

unfortunetly he did'nt win today tho did him after he beat fitton at 10/1 and taught l was on a winner when it went 4-4 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭shockframe

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I've been following BDO darts for many years now on BBC and i have to say this the coverage this year was brutal! Those 2 presenters were shocking,the camera work was terrible and Tony Green's commentary was a joke! Green made so many mistakes commentating it was ridiculous and he went completely off topic many times during games! The BBC don't hold darts high up on their list of priority sports. The ending transmission of the Chisnall-Hankey game at 4-4 just proves they have no interest in the sport!

Couldnt agree more.It was absolutely tragic on so many levels.Fleet lucky to hit the board against adams,tony "its all appning-cor ah dear" green,the ghastly image of the blazer crew with a combined age of a million in a set not dissimilar to a 1980s breakdancing exhibition,so many poor players,making alan norris a commentator.murray/walker-absolutely terrible.i could go on.

for me personally i have always preferred the lakeside over the pdc because having taking a serious interest at the end of 98 with a fairly tame taylor walkover it was the mason-adams game in 99 that got me hooked on the sport.since then though nothing has changed.player after player has defected and only 5/6 players from 1999-2001 have remained.the same prize money is on offer now as it was then in the earlier rounds.only 1 proper tournament on tv with a token gesture for a second banana tournament in november.no incentive to show more events on tv with a reliance on poxy opens in europe which may or may not cost twice as much to travel as they pay out.the same old faces are there running the thing due to sheer pettiness.whats worse is they have done nothing since the split to improve the welfare of the players who have sacrificed their social/family lifestyles to play.also its sad for players like fitton and o'shea who have missed out on lots of financial benefits by staying in a joke of a system.not only this but the competition has been so mediocre since last year that holland has pulled out from viewing it which is a shame because holland was vital for the games growth(having said that barney is the only one capable of winning world titles)

this year was the first time since that mason and adams match that i can honestly say that i have enjoyed the pdc championship more.i dont have much time for sid waddell/harrington/sky or even uncle barry but they have made the game the spectacle it is now.

we are now living in i think darts 2nd golden era.great walk ons,underrrated characters (mardle,manley,hankey),the barney-taylor rivalry,massive crowds,high viewing figures,frequent nine darts and phil taylor.this has all came about in spite of the bdo not because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

shockframe wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more.It was absolutely tragic on so many levels.Fleet lucky to hit the board against adams,tony "its all appning-cor ah dear" green,the ghastly image of the blazer crew with a combined age of a million in a set not dissimilar to a 1980s breakdancing exhibition,so many poor players,making alan norris a commentator.murray/walker-absolutely terrible.i could go on.

for me personally i have always preferred the lakeside over the pdc because having taking a serious interest at the end of 98 with a fairly tame taylor walkover it was the mason-adams game in 99 that got me hooked on the sport.since then though nothing has changed.player after player has defected and only 5/6 players from 1999-2001 have remained.the same prize money is on offer now as it was then in the earlier rounds.only 1 proper tournament on tv with a token gesture for a second banana tournament in november.no incentive to show more events on tv with a reliance on poxy opens in europe which may or may not cost twice as much to travel as they pay out.the same old faces are there running the thing due to sheer pettiness.whats worse is they have done nothing since the split to improve the welfare of the players who have sacrificed their social/family lifestyles to play.also its sad for players like fitton and o'shea who have missed out on lots of financial benefits by staying in a joke of a system.not only this but the competition has been so mediocre since last year that holland has pulled out from viewing it which is a shame because holland was vital for the games growth(having said that barney is the only one capable of winning world titles)

this year was the first time since that mason and adams match that i can honestly say that i have enjoyed the pdc championship more.i dont have much time for sid waddell/harrington/sky or even uncle barry but they have made the game the spectacle it is now.

we are now living in i think darts 2nd golden era.great walk ons,underrrated characters (mardle,manley,hankey),the barney-taylor rivalry,massive crowds,high viewing figures,frequent nine darts and phil taylor.this has all came about in spite of the bdo not because of it.
    Well said. I've been a BDO fan for many years but this year's tournament was poor and the PDC version was by far and away a superior World championship compared to the poor fare on offer at the Lakeside.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

As mentioned above really poor performance by the camera men tonight but that didnt take away from how exciting the final was. Although not even coming close to matching the PDC for skill level, the final tonight was as exciting if not more exciting than the PDC equivalent..

I think chizzy should stay where he is until he's comfortable on the big stage because he'll have a much bigger chance of gaining experience in finals on the BDO circuit than the PDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭stretch26

shockframe wrote: »
    Id say its more to do with the political side of things to be honest than ability.

I wouldnt be a massive fan of either but they are both world champions.to say they wouldnt make the top 32 is incorrect.hankey won the lakeside in 2000 when barneveld,mason,baxter,painter,fordham,stompe,king,mardle were all involved.fair enough there was no taylor but every other player i mentioned were possibly the strongest in the world at the time.

adams has come on leaps and bounds over the years.again people will say it was because barney left but adams was in form anyways.he hammered simon whitlock and beat an impressive field of o'shea,stompe,hankey and king to win in 2007.not too many players would have lived with him in the opening 4 sets today either

i dont think they would be strong enough to win everything in the pdc but to suggest that they wouldnt be good enough to compete with average players like lloyd,osbourne,tabern,van der voort,stompe,dudbridge etc is ridiculous.

well said mate. i think adams would hold his own in the pdc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

stretch26 wrote: »
    well said mate. i think adams would hold his own in the pdc

Adams averaged 95.01 in the final, Chisnall 93.42 compare that to the PDC Taylor 104.38 and Whitlock 100.51.

An average of 95.01 is only better than 2 of the PDC last 16 winning averages, and better than none of the later stage winning averages at the PDC. This doesn't point towards adams doing well in the PDC, in fact it points to quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

Inquitus wrote: »
    Adams averaged 95.01 in the final, Chisnall 93.42 compare that to the PDC Taylor 104.38 and Whitlock 100.51.

An average of 95.01 is only better than 2 of the PDC last 16 winning averages, and better than none of the later stage winning averages at the PDC. This doesn't point towards adams doing well in the PDC, in fact it points to quite the opposite.

104.38 you are using up to 15 darts per leg (14.4 darts/leg).

95.01 you are using up to 16 darts per leg (15.81 darts/leg).

1 dart difference - oh yeah, he wouldn't hold his own at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I'm sure the same things were said of Whitlock before he switched

vindaloo1 wrote: »

Statistically speaking a diff in average of nearly 10 score results in a hammering in almost all instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭theroversreturn

bigger trebles = bigger averages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

bigger trebles = bigger averages

Hankey, is that you? :cool:

• Advertisement

vindaloo1 wrote: »

That one dart diff is huge.

Under 15 darts per leg means you are out in 5 visits.

Over 15 darts per leg means you need 6 visits.

If those averages were consistent over every leg the 14.4 Dart avg would win every single leg of a match with or without the throw.........

Advertisement