Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside BDO World Darts Championship

Options
  • 29-12-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

4 days left to the Lakeside World event. Out of the 32 players taking part there's at least 8 players with a genuine chance of winning this championship in my opinion. First game on Saturday is Tony O'Shea v Robbie Green,a hard game for O'Shea to start off with. Ted Hankey plays Gary Robson Saturday evening and i reckon Hankey will be exiting the tournament that night. A good tournament in prospect,it kicks off on Saturday on BBC1 at 1 30pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

A good tournament and i think for most darts fans its a tradition to watch this but over the last few years its lost its atmosphere(maybe its just me) with all the changes regarding scores and losing some of its best players. At least it looks more open than the PDC Worlds and on form i suppose Waites would have to be the fav for me with Adams,O'Shea and Hankey also in with a shout as always. Robbie Green if he gets through his first game and the luck of the draw i think he can go far but for me i'd have to go with Waites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

ive a 5er on McCloskey and Waites outright, could be a good tournament, but it wont be near the standard of the PDC

from the quarters onward the PDC WC is super averages, super darts and i wont be surprised to see a second 9 darter

doubt we'll see a 9 in BDO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

any Irish lads in the BDO worlds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

damo180 wrote: »
    any Irish lads in the BDO worlds ?
    There is 2 Irish players taking part Martin McCloskey from Donegal and Daryl Gurney from Derry. McCloskey plays 11th seed Steve West in the 1st round next Monday at 8 40pm and in my view has a great chance against a player who has lost in the 1st round in his previous 2 appearances. Gurney plays 14th seed Scott Mitchell the same evening and i reckon Daryl will beat Mitchell and set up a 2nd round clash against Martin Adams,a repeat of last year's 2nd round clash when Gurney was unlucky not to beat Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭shockframe

ive a 5er on McCloskey and Waites outright, could be a good tournament, but it wont be near the standard of the PDC

from the quarters onward the PDC WC is super averages, super darts and i wont be surprised to see a second 9 darter

doubt we'll see a 9 in BDO

what about wade v nicholson last year.80 averages for both if i remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

I remember posting about this last year, the averages in the bdo's last 16 and last 8 were higher than the pdc equivalent or at least on a par. It was only the last 32 where the pdc stood higher as the semi's and final were kinda skewed by Taylor.

Leaving Taylor out of the averages the players in the BDO have equal if not higher averages than the PDC players. The 2008 BDO World final was played between Mark Webster and Simon Whitlock and in the final both players were averaging in the mid 90's. In the PDC final that year John Part won with a 92 average and his opponent Kirk Sheperd averaged 85. Both Webster and Whitlock are through to the quarter finals of the This year's PDC Worlds at their first attempt,this proves that the BDO has top class quality players. Unfortunatley the BDO doesn't have the money to match the PDC.

it should be a good tournament.there is a lot of potential winners.at this stage o'shea and waites would be favourites.adams should be there or thereabouts but having made at least the semis since 2004 he may be due an early exit.

as an outsider chisnall has been in good form,gurney can blow hot and cold but he looked promising last year.ten berge is a player who hasnt shown his best yet but could be a serious dark horse.

its not as bad as some people make it out.at least 13 of the first round games will be watchable.much depends on the inevitable talk on switchovers throughout the tournament.a lot of talk about o'shea and waites especially so will these players be put out by an early exit.

anyways enjoy it.look forward to the lakeside every year.darts is darts.

There is some brilliant 1st round clashes at Lakeside this year and i could see a good few 1st round games going the distance. I've put a few euro each way on Scottish player John Henderson. He's had a good year on the BDO tour winning the German,Belgian and Didam opens and has the potential to average around the 100 mark. Waites,O'Shea,Adams and Hankey will be among the favourites to win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

whats the prize money throughout rounds in this?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    whats the prize money throughout rounds in this?

is there prize money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

2010 prize money - Men:

Champion: £100,000
    Runner-up: £30,000
    Semi-finalists: £11,000 x 2
    Quarter-finalists: £ 6,000 x 4
    2nd round winners: £ 4,250 x 8
    1st round winners: £ 3,000 x 16
    TOTAL: £258,000
    2010 prize money - Women:

Champion: £6,000
    Runner-up: £2,000
    Joint 3rd: £1,000 x 2
    Joint 5th: £ 500 x 4
    TOTAL: £12,000
    Highest Checkout:
    Men & Women: £3,000
    9-Dart 501:
    Men & Women: £52,000
    Total available prize fund: £325,000

just to add look out for ian white.adrian lewis said recently that they were practising together before the world championships.whites odds have slashed i believe since lewis said that.

shockframe wrote: »
    just to add look out for ian white.adrian lewis said recently that they were practising together before the world championships.whites odds have slashed i believe since lewis said that.
    A lot has been said about Ian White the last week or 2 but about 3 weeks ago i saw him playing in a Dutch tournament on a live internet stream and to be honest he didn't look like a player that will win a World Championship. He was well beat in the 2 games he played and averaged in the low to mid 80's only.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Tony O'Shea should win the lakeside with ease,just as long he gets by Robbie Green,I reckon this will be his hardest match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

That is 1 top heavy prizepool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Cash is King and money talks. Get ready for the defections.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

Darryl Fitton a good each way bet he is always there or thereabouts plus he is in good form coming into the tournment ?

superref wrote: »
    Darryl Fitton a good each way bet he is always there or thereabouts plus he is in good form coming into the tournment ?
    Fitton won a Dutch tournament 3 weeks ago where all the top BDO players were playing. He beat Martin Adams in the final with an average in the high 90's and he beat Alan Norris in the semis with an average around 103! Defintley a player to look out for.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Fitton won a Dutch tournament 3 weeks ago where all the top BDO players were playing. He beat Martin Adams in the final with an average in the high 90's and he beat Alan Norris in the semis with an average around 103! Defintley a player to look out for.

fitton is a good player but he has failed to live up to expectations before.not to mention a tough first round game.

o'shea has a great chance should he win tomorrow but with talk of a switch to the pdc id be wary of backing him.

looks like the dream final - hankey v adamsicon6.gif

• Advertisement

Day 1 of Lakeside kicks off today in a few hours time with Tony O'Shea v Robbie Green 1st game on. A lot of talk about O'Shea making a move to the PDC but personally i reckon he'll stay with the BDO because his in his late 40's now and making a move now might be of no great advantadge to him at this stage of his career. Robbie Green is a brilliant player and O'Shea will have to play at his very best to beat Green. The very much talked about Ian White also plays today against Stephen Bunting and White is odds on to win this game and is as low as 14/1 with 1 bookmaking firm to win the Lakeside outright. Hopefully we'll have a good day of darts and it's live on BBC 1 from 1 30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

hink the form and level headedness(is that even a word?) os Scott Waites in the GSOD could see him make an impact. I don't know how his form has been since, but if anything like he had few months back could nick it.

He's joint favorite at 7/2 :confused:

Waites I reckon is 100% certain PDC mover! If anyone remembers his interview after the GSOD match playing against Spankey. Aul Ted was giving his usual guff about crowds, blah blah and Waits stood next to him and stared at the floor. He looked like he didn't want to be there and was afraid of being asked(obviously not to upset anyone). Even when Ted looked to him for support he kept quiet.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Day 1 of Lakeside kicks off today in a few hours time with Tony O'Shea v Robbie Green 1st game on. A lot of talk about O'Shea making a move to the PDC but personally i reckon he'll stay with the BDO because his in his late 40's now and making a move now might be of no great advantadge to him at this stage of his career.

late 40's, so he has maybe 5 years at the very top? A player of his quality could make £500k in that time....which would set him up for the rest of his life.

Personally.....I would consider the potential to earn that kind of money as a great advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭CORRO77

The only reason these players are still playing in this is that they know there not good enough to play with the taylors lewis barneys of this world if they were they would leave the BDO.No disrespect to the players in the Bdo There good players in there own right but put them in the Pdc and see just how good they really are.Half of them i have never even heard of you have the usual suspects fitton hankey adams o shea walton.Why are they still playing for buttons in the Bdo.

anybody know of a good link to watch it.

CORRO77 wrote: »
    The only reason these players are still playing in this is that they know there not good enough to play with the taylors lewis barneys of this world if they were they would leave the BDO.No disrespect to the players in the Bdo There good players in there own right but put them in the Pdc and see just how good they really are.Half of them i have never even heard of you have the usual suspects fitton hankey adams o shea walton.Why are they still playing for buttons in the Bdo.

Every year we have this stupid debate.look sky have been saying this every year since 1994 but time and time again the bdo players prove themselves to be decent players.

were you one of the many people who said in 2006 that the likes of barneveld,king,anderson,webster,whitlock,stompe couldnt cut it in the pdc.

BBC showing favourtism towards wolfie already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

this is fairly pathetic after watching the pdc the last few days!!

dotsflan wrote: »
    this is fairly pathetic after watching the pdc the last few days!!

ok granted it wasnt whitlock and wade standard and the missed doubles were terrible but it had its moments aswell.good few 180s.the last 16 is where it gets going.

green should have won that.o sheas scoring was very poor.

not a bad game here either.woods is a good scorer but brutal on the doubles.ten berge just needs to hold his throw.

• Advertisement

must have put the jinx on ten berge.brian woods was very good around 95 average.

disappointed for ten berge but he has a future in the game.a bit erratic on the throw.similar to klaasen.

Advertisement