Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside BDO World Darts Championship

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

Inquitus wrote: »
    That one dart diff is huge.

Under 15 darts per leg means you are out in 5 visits.

Over 15 darts per leg means you need 6 visits.

If those averages were consistent over every leg the 14.4 Dart avg would win every single leg of a match with or without the throw.........

14.4 darts consistent average means throwing 14 or 15 darts.
    15.8 consistent average means throwing 15 or 16 darts.

You would not win every single leg with or without the throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Sorry vindaloo but Inquitus is right

90% of legs in a match with a 10 point different in the averages will go to the higher average

the most important aspect here is that extra visit, if you have to visit for a 6th time, 95% of the time i'll have ended the leg before you get a chance to come back.

Since we can expect that even with a 95 avg you will in fact throw 12 - 15 dart legs, that means you will have 16-19 dart legs to average it out.

you are talking about LITERALLY blowing hot and cold, whilst the 104 average is consistently blowing hot because he's on average winning on his 5th visit EVERY TIME.

There's literally no contest

Nobody is disputing the fact that the higher avarage would win out.

I would argue that you would not win every leg with or without the throw.

The argument can be changed to "If those averages were consistent over
    every leg", but that would be highly unlikely to happen.

yeah but your lower average of that difference would "nick" a leg or 2, not much tho, would largely be VERY outclassed and be lucky to get away without a whitewash

ive seen taylor whitewash many an opponent with nowhere near as big a difference in the averages

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lewis averaged well over 100 against Taylor and he only won 4 legs in the entire match.

Adams would be destroyed with a 95 average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

how are lads even puttin up a fight for the bdo still?
    get ur heads outa the sand

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Lewis averaged well over 100 against Taylor and he only won 4 legs in the entire match.

Adams would be destroyed with a 95 average.

Wade was under 100 against Whitlock (97-105?) but won 3 sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

sc86 wrote: »
    how are lads even puttin up a fight for the bdo still?
    get ur heads outa the sand

Webster and Whitlock, BDO last year, Semi finalists, with Whitlock in the final, in the PDC this year. O'Shea put up the best performance against Taylor in the Grandslam and Waites made the final. BDO certainly has its fair share of pub players but considering they are mostly still holding down jobs and playing darts its not as crap as some people would try to make you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

yes but webster said himself he had being struggling in the pdc since the switch and that he has had to raise his game alot to compete against better players, ur pickin out single games which is wrong you should look at the bigger picture or if you want to do that then hankey who was the bdo world champion at the time diddnt even get out of the group stages in the grand slam..

4 years ago there was very good players in both and not a real difference in level bar taylor, now though theres a huge difference, just look at the 32 player lineup from the totesport players championship

the standard to be competitive in pdc just keeps rising every year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

There is no doubt in my mind that Adams and O'Shea would get into the top 32 in the PDC. Thet are class players and generally BDO players seem to do better than everyone thinks they would when they transfer over.

I'd probably go as far to say that Adams and O'Shea would threaten (note the use of italics) the top 10 in the PDC and that Hankey, Fitton, Chisnall and Waites would get into the top 32 also. It'd take 2-3 years for them to get up the rankings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fitton may get into the Top 32 in the PDC but he wouldnt be a definite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 keithiws

we are all for getting that most of the top 32 pdc players are former bdo player and many never one the tiltle and any of the player who have joined the pdc only are not able toget ranked as they havnt play the circut before. thats said by going by the new pdc oom

keithiws wrote: »
    we are all for getting that most of the top 32 pdc players are former bdo player and many never one the tiltle and any of the player who have joined the pdc only are not able toget ranked as they havnt play the circut before. thats said by going by the new pdc oom

No offence mate but there is a thing called a comma. You may be making a very good point but i don't have a clue what you are saying.

unknown13 wrote: »

Of the 6 BDO players i mentioned, he is probably the most naturally talented. I personally think he could be a big player if he switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Degag wrote: »
    No offence mate but there is a thing called a comma. You may be making a very good point but i don't have a clue what you are saying.
    A missing comma is the least of his worries. I haven't a clue what he's trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭stretch26

Inquitus wrote: »
    Adams averaged 95.01 in the final, Chisnall 93.42 compare that to the PDC Taylor 104.38 and Whitlock 100.51.

An average of 95.01 is only better than 2 of the PDC last 16 winning averages, and better than none of the later stage winning averages at the PDC. This doesn't point towards adams doing well in the PDC, in fact it points to quite the opposite.

whitlock wasnt averaging 100+ when he was in the bdo, hes averaging that know cause he is constanly playing the better player. and if adams was in the pdc playing the top players constanly it would sharpen up his game like it has done for whitlock and king etc, who have never won the bdo

i have to agree, to talk about webster, whitlock and anderson comparing current form to BDO form is a non runner

they were lesser players back then

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

i have to agree, to talk about webster, whitlock and anderson comparing current form to BDO form is a non runner

they were lesser players back then

Its easy to say that but the fact they can turn full time pro as a result of the money in the PDC means they can train longer/harder and up their level. Mervyn King made it into the top 5 after his switch, never won a BDO title. Nobody would have said he was good enough to do that before he switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well until a player actually makes the switch it's all just speculation.

The whole point here surely is that the BDO cannot sustain a professional level of darts

they cannot fund Darts as a career, they are an AMATUER ORGANISATION

King couldnt practice all day every day back then, he now can, it allows him to
    1) Have darts as a career
    2) bring his game on
    3) Raise the standard of darts to a professional level
    4) Maintain that level

Can you have a Career in the BDO, No, can you bring your game on, only to a level at which point you would need to be in the PDC to make the next step up, Back when they couldnt be professional they couldnt win a world title. but there could be guys in the BDO on the dole practicing all day long with the current state in the recession.

They still arnt playing against the worlds best players week in week out. There is a plateua that the BDO brings and if players want to progress into PROFESSIONAL level darts and have a career in the sport, they need to leave the badly run amateur level BDO and join the PDC.

The one Caveat is that only the top 32 really could potentially go full time, and even then i would say top 16 would be sure of that, with the order of merit over 2 years you can see most of the the top 24-64 players are only earning about 10-20k a year, this is ok money but when you factor the cost of being on the tour its not great. You need Sponsors and to do well in any tournaments and events that give money not on the order of merit to survive.

and if only the top 16 can survive in the PDC there are only 16 full time professionals, the rest must be holding down some form of job whilst practicing to PDC level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

One thing I will say whilst I know the pdc is stronger.

Despite the ****ty coverage, the poor commentary and the stage that looks like it came off an abba tour. I really enjoyed the BDO championship despite the slipping standards this year. Some great competitive matches right from the first round to the final. Chisnalls matches were great, as was all of Wagners bar the whopping off O'Shea. McCloskey and Steve West was fantastic. Gurney vs Mitchell and Martin Philips vs Scott Waites. Some great matches despite not having 100+ average or in some cases even 90+ averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

unknown13 wrote: »

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement, I would bet my life he would be a top 32 player, I also think that the BDO gets unfair stick, the gulf between the two organisations is getting bigger but to suggest the top players in the BDO would struggle after they swiched to the PDC is laughable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads would you stop all this rubbish of certain BDO players not making it into the top 32. Fitton, O' Shea, Waites, Adams and Hankey would all break the top 32. It might take them a couple of years but they would do it. There are plenty of players currently in the top 32 that are distinctly average.

Advertisement