Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside BDO World Darts Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The BBC coverage is infurating, during one leg all we could see was a black screen and a sudden appearance of a throwing hand. No darboard or no player. Then in another leg they don't put up the scoreboard but instead show the family of the player throwing. Do they think this is "cool" TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Roanmore wrote: »
    The BBC coverage is infurating, during one leg all we could see was a black screen and a sudden appearance of a throwing hand. No darboard or no player. Then in another leg they don't put up the scoreboard but instead show the family of the player throwing. Do they think this is "cool" TV?

I can handle that but it's their two presenters that really are ruining it for me.

This nordie lad is doing my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Chisnall's a pretty decent thrower but not exactly the brightest peanut in the turd :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Some great darts from Chiisnall there.

Seems like a realy nice bloke aswell.

Delighted hes in the final (not only because l backed him :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Roanmore wrote: »

Most of the commentary seems to consist of them either talking irrelevant rubbish about the players lives or talking about morons in the crowd

• Advertisement

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I can handle that but it's their two presenters that really are ruining it for me.

This nordie lad is doing my nut in.

It's Colin Murray, he used to be a Radio 1 jock, think he still is, i know the BBC gave him a TV contract, i presume they haven't got a show for him so instead of paying him for nothing they've stuck him on the darts.

Can be an irritating cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Always beien a fan of BDO and PDC butr if im honest the standard of BDO is very poor compared to to its rival.

I think a player who get to quarter final of PDC would have great chance of winning the BDO imo.

Still delighted to see Chisnall win comes across really well and great heart in him. Hope he wins it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

who beat scot waites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Always beien a fan of BDO and PDC butr if im honest the standard of BDO is very poor compared to to its rival.

I think a player who get to quarter final of PDC would have great chance of winning the BDO imo.

Like Baxter,Whitlock and Stompe you mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

sc86 wrote: »
    who beat scot waites?

Martin Phillips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

and for the 1st time this week someone is playing relatively decent darts against Adams!

C'mon Phillips!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Glad O' Shea didn't win because I really can't stand him with the way he acts. Chisnell seems to find the treble twenty well but doesn't seem to be great on the doubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭CORRO77

Has to be the worst world darts i can ever remember some really shocking games,players, commentary,aftermatch interviews, bbc coverage has all added to it been a poor relation to the pdc.sooner the better the 3 or 4 decent players left in the bdo move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

CORRO77 wrote: »
    sooner the better the 3 or 4 decent players left in the bdo move on .

Not going to happen O' Shea simply isn't consistent enough to do well in the PDC, Adams and Hankey hate the PDC with passion.

Waites is the only one that could potentially move over and do well because he has proven he can do well in the PDC with his UK open performances and Grand slam performances.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Not going to happen O' Shea simply isn't consistent enough to do well in the PDC, Adams and Hankey hate the PDC with passion.

Waites is the only one that could potentially move over and do well because he has proven he can do well in the PDC with his UK open performances and Grand slam performances.

The only reason Adams and Hankey hate the PDC so much is that they're the big fish in a small pond at the moment, they both know full well that if they moved over to the PDC full time they'd both struggle to get into the top 32

And Adams is Olly Croft's love child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

scudzilla wrote: »
    The only reason Adams and Hankey hate the PDC so much is that they're the big fish in a small pond at the moment, they both know full well that if they moved over to the PDC full time they'd both struggle to get into the top 32

And Adams is Olly Croft's love child

Id say its more to do with the political side of things to be honest than ability.

I wouldnt be a massive fan of either but they are both world champions.to say they wouldnt make the top 32 is incorrect.hankey won the lakeside in 2000 when barneveld,mason,baxter,painter,fordham,stompe,king,mardle were all involved.fair enough there was no taylor but every other player i mentioned were possibly the strongest in the world at the time.

adams has come on leaps and bounds over the years.again people will say it was because barney left but adams was in form anyways.he hammered simon whitlock and beat an impressive field of o'shea,stompe,hankey and king to win in 2007.not too many players would have lived with him in the opening 4 sets today either

i dont think they would be strong enough to win everything in the pdc but to suggest that they wouldnt be good enough to compete with average players like lloyd,osbourne,tabern,van der voort,stompe,dudbridge etc is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

shockframe wrote: »
    Id say its more to do with the political side of things to be honest than ability.

I wouldnt be a massive fan of either but they are both world champions.to say they wouldnt make the top 32 is incorrect.hankey won the lakeside in 2000 when barneveld,mason,baxter,painter,fordham,stompe,king,mardle were all involved.fair enough there was no taylor but every other player i mentioned were possibly the strongest in the world at the time.

adams has come on leaps and bounds over the years.again people will say it was because barney left but adams was in form anyways.he hammered simon whitlock and beat an impressive field of o'shea,stompe,hankey and king to win in 2007.not too many players would have lived with him in the opening 4 sets today either

i dont think they would be strong enough to win everything in the pdc but to suggest that they wouldnt be good enough to compete with average players like lloyd,osbourne,tabern,van der voort,stompe,dudbridge etc is ridiculous.
    Great post. The 2 gents mentioned above would not beat Taylor but would surely hold their own with many PDC players. If you look over the last 2 months at what Stompe, Whitlock and also Waites ... when he crossed over for the Grand Slam ....have done to the "established" PDC players yet they've never done as Hankey "twice" and Adams have done and win at Lakeside.
    I've always thought that take Taylor out of the PDC the rest are all beatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Well up to a week before Mervyn King made the switch he was still singing from that hymn sheet, ie I'll never play for the PDC. Think he threatened to walk out of the WC if people didn't stop the speculation because he said he was going nowhere. So although Adams will never move out of some misguided loyalty imo. Hankey is only 41, a few good years with Barry Hearns crew could set him up for life. Don't be surprised to see him jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Well up to a week before Mervyn King made the switch he was still singing from that hymn sheet, ie I'll never play for the PDC. Think he threatened to walk out of the WC if people didn't stop the speculation because he said he was going nowhere. So although Adams will never move out of some misguided loyalty imo. Hankey is only 41, a few good years with Barry Hearns crew could set him up for life. Don't be surprised to see him jump.

there was loads of talk the past 2 years over Fitton and O`Shea as well, but they never took the plunge, i was surprised with Fitton, he seems to be stuck in a bit of a rut in the BDO at the minute, a move would do him the world of good

as for the current bdo players holding their own in the pdc, im not so sure, i think the top 6/8 pdc players have really pushed on, and are at a higher level, on a more consistant basis than the bdo lads, thats just my opinion mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

What do people think of the final?

Looks almost a coin toss. It could be argued that Chisnall has more talent will turn into a better player long term but Adams has experience and not many would have lived with him in the first 4 sets of his semi. He seemed to really pull it out of the bag when Phillips threatened as well

Was even money each of two last night on betfair but now Chisnall is slight favourite

• Advertisement

as for the current bdo players holding their own in the pdc, im not so sure, i think the top 6/8 pdc players have really pushed on, and are at a higher level, on a more consistant basis than the bdo lads, thats just my opinion mind

I agree. Of course on their day they could force a good game....but you could claim the same for the top 32(or more) PDC players! I don't think anyone from the current BDO crop could push into the top 6 rankings in the PDC.
    What do people think of the final?

Looks almost a coin toss. It could be argued that Chisnall has more talent will turn into a better player long term but Adams has experience and not many would have lived with him in the first 4 sets of his semi. He seemed to really pull it out of the bag when Phillips threatened as well

Was even money each of two last night on betfair but now Chisnall is slight favourite

I hope Chisnall wins as I can't stand the sight of Adams!

Noticed that they were very close in the bookies opinions. Think experience may play a big part for Adams though :( but hope Im wrong. Adams has had quit an easy ride to the finals compared to Chisnall and has not really been pushed whereas Chisnall has, so fingers crossed that will see Chisnall going in with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

there was loads of talk the past 2 years over Fitton and O`Shea as well, but they never took the plunge, i was surprised with Fitton, he seems to be stuck in a bit of a rut in the BDO at the minute, a move would do him the world of good

14 100+ Averages in the PDC
    Only 1, in the first (and shortest) round, in the BDO so far.

Hard to find the averages from the BDO this year online, but I'd say if you collated the averages of the 2 comps a good 90% of the Top 30 would be from the PDC event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I really hope Chisnall wins the final. Adams is a top class player but his constant refusals to play in the Grand Slam is really annoying. Why would a full time professional turn down a chance to earn a minimum £4000 for playing in the group stages of the Grand Slam? He might be showing loyalty to the BDO by not appearing there but in my view he's doing a disservice to darts by not playing,he's more than capable of reaching the semis of the Grand Slam but it seems Adams is living in the past! Back to the subject i reckon we're in for a close game with Chisnall to win 7-6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Adams won't play in the Grand Slam because he fears humiliation. Not many people remember that Adams had a season in the PDC in 2001 when it wasn't near the standard it is now and he struggled. His best being a semi-final place at the World Matchplay and he quickly jumped ship back to the BDO when he realised he wasn't good enough. He likes to claim it's loyalty to the BDO but if that's the case why did he move in the first place? He knows that he is a big fish in a small pond and he likes being the big man and that's the reason he won't switch.

As for the final I'll be rooting for Chisnall and I think he will do it.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    He might be showing loyalty to the BDO

Someone said earlier in this thread(or another thread) that the GSOD only clashed with a BDO event 2 years ago and there were no events schduled for the last GSOD so he could have played without any interference.
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    Not many people remember that Adams had a season in the PDC in 2001 when it wasn't near the standard it is now and he struggled.

I didn't know that :eek: How come bbc have been going on non stop about his 'record breaking' 17th consecutive year at the BDO world championships? :confused: Did he not even stick the PDC for a full year?

Devastator wrote: »
    I didn't know that :eek: How come bbc have been going on non stop about his 'record breaking' 17th consecutive year at the BDO world championships? :confused: Did he not even stick the PDC for a full year?

No he didn't last the full year. I know for certain he played in the World Matchplay and the World Grand Prix but switched back just before the BDO World Championships because he wasn't doing so well in the PDC. As for floor tournaments etc. I don't know how many he played in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Adams played in the PDC between 99 and 01, before eligibility for tournaments was restricted to PDPA players only. Contrary to popular opinion he did quite well. Semi finals of world Matchplay in 2001 losing to Taylor. He won the Scania open in 99 beating Taylor, reached the 1/4 final of the Grand Prix in 2001. He also reached a semi in 97 losing to Taylor. I have no idea if he entered all tournaments during this time but I doubt it as he was cetainly in the BDO worlds.
    I think the idea that he couldn't compete with PDC players is silly. He's a very good experienced player while perhaps not at the highest level he would certainly be involved at the business end of TV tournaments.
    There seems generally to be a lot of antagonism towards him but personally I've always liked the guy. He holds a lot of store in being England Captain and I think thats the main reason he never left. Why he doesn't compete in th GSOD only he knows but its a free world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Didn't think Adams would have pulled out that first set after Chisnall's first two legs. Missing double 5 for the set with three darts in hand was shocking enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

will someone please tell the camera man keep the camera on the board he keeps moving it everywhere except the board

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

nice finish wolfie

Advertisement