Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

Yes Met Eireann have issued a weather warning!

Applicable to the following counties:
    Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon & Longford.

A spell of sleet and snow will occur late tonight and for a time on Wednesday with accumulations of 3 to 6 cm possible.

Most of the snow looks likely to fall during the morning & rush-hour before
    clearer drier weather arriving in the southwest around midday will extend northeast to all areas during the evening!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The little forecast map at the bottom of the page here shows it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

snowing heavy now ! another fun drive in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take care out there please

Yes, once more all is white up here..... Getting used to it these days....

Wind rising so there may be drifting later if it continues to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Another thick layer of snow this morning in Ballybofey. Looks like at least 5cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Covering here too. Ice under snow on car. Take it easy out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Noooooooooooo! :( Deja vu here in Lifford - or groundhog day. Will this winter never end? Seems forecast for Sunday is worse :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same here in Lettekennyy, snowing heavily as Im typing this as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

was heavy this morning in B'bofey, but little or nothing in Donegal Town, and Sligo was sunny and clear. Snow clearing up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Wan't too bad (between newtown and manor) here a light dusting over the ice, but it just started snowing very very heavy, probably as heavy as ive seen it falls all witer and thats saying something:eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah been snowing constantly very heavily since my post above nearly 2 hours ago..not really sticking where its already melted but its getting quite thick now where its falling on the stuff left over from last night. If its this prolonged tonight its fairly going to be bad tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Snowing fairly heavy at the moment in the twin towns buts its lying only on the stuff that was there this morning and on the higher ground.

Starting to brighten a little now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

slowed a wee bit now but this is a picture from half an hour ago

4370024981_e52e20ecaf_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

parts of lk are at a standstill now still, had a guy in the shop there earlier saying it took him two hours to get from kilmac to the dry arch. supposed to be alot of small crashes up the mountain top direction too. i am not looking forward to the drive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Drove from Derry to L'kenny tonight at 8pm, and it was clear roads until Murray Motors. Coming in the dual carraigeway was very slushy, with everyone going at less than 40mph.
    The gritters are out, but housing estates are not being done, so be cute in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Takes over an hour to get from Ballybofey to LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

anyone know if anything serious happened up at the mountain top this eve? the traffic was just unreal....a disgrace that they were allowed to get that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I left Bonagee at 7pm heading to Kilmacrennan, arrived there at 9pm.
    The road up from Dunnes of Ilistrin (sp) to the mountain top was pure ice, alot of cars and a few lorries got stuck.
    I was really glad to see the numbers of people, men and women out pushing cars, gritting the roads even putting blankets down in front of car so they could get some grip.
    A tractor was pulling the lorries, vans and an ambulance up the hill and most of the cars were able to drive up with a bit of a push.
    I came back towards Letterkenny again at 10 and everything was cleared, still a few cars on the roadside that people had abandoned but road had been gritted and was easliy passable.
    If any of the guy or gals that helped out are reading this a big thank you for all you efforts, good to see that there is still decency around.

Theblueirish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I left Bonagee at 7pm heading to Kilmacrennan, arrived there at 9pm.
    The road up from Dunnes of Ilistrin (sp) to the mountain top was pure ice, alot of cars and a few lorries got stuck.
    I was really glad to see the numbers of people, men and women out pushing cars, gritting the roads even putting blankets down in front of car so they could get some grip.
    A tractor was pulling the lorries, vans and an ambulance up the hill and most of the cars were able to drive up with a bit of a push.
    I came back towards Letterkenny again at 10 and everything was cleared, still a few cars on the roadside that people had abandoned but road had been gritted and was easliy passable.
    If any of the guy or gals that helped out are reading this a big thank you for all you efforts, good to see that there is still decency around.

Theblueirish
    Took me over an hour to get from Kilmacrennan to Lettekenny, normally a 10 minute run. Going down from the Mountain top to Letterkenny tried to change down from second to first gear and that was enough to put the car into a slide.

Unbelievably, some cars were overtaking between the centre islands. The last one to overtake me couldn't get stopped and ended up on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

The weather is better today. RTÉ must not have been updated:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0220/weather.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

eman66 wrote: »
    The last one to overtake me couldn't get stopped and ended up on the footpath.

Cue a Nelson Muntz "Ha Haaa" :)
    nelson-muntz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eman66 wrote: »
    Took me over an hour to get from Kilmacrennan to Lettekenny, normally a 10 minute run. Going down from the Mountain top to Letterkenny tried to change down from second to first gear and that was enough to put the car into a slide.

Unbelievably, some cars were overtaking between the centre islands. The last one to overtake me couldn't get stopped and ended up on the footpath.

Why would you change into 1st gear while the car is moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

fullstop wrote: »
    Why would you change into 1st gear while the car is moving?

To slow the car down without using the brake obviously! Do you drive yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Nice one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

:D More than one slip evident on this thread ...

Over 2 months now!! I thought this thread would be long since dead and according to weather boards it ain't over just yet !

Only sleet here all day, changed to rain in the afternoon and thankfully melted all the compacted stuff on the pavements

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You wouldn't put it into first...second gear would suffice, no? Did you or did you not say this to me once...'never put the car in 1st gear when it's moving', which I was also told by my driving instructor when learning to drive. Or is this an attempt at trolling me as usual? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

fullstop wrote: »
    You wouldn't put it into first...second gear would suffice, no? Did you or did you not say this to me once...'never put the car in 1st gear when it's moving', which I was also told by my driving instructor when learning to drive. Or is this an attempt at trolling me as usual? :rolleyes:

I do often if the snow is bad enough and you come to a junction the only way to slow down to just above 0 is to use first gear, its a rare occassion and you'd only be doing 7-8mph anyway, but it's possible.

• Advertisement

Gents I have spent time in the driving or learning to drive forums may I suggest you continue this discussion over there. Thanks.

Advertisement