Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options
  • 18-12-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

As we are heading for what looks likely to be a rough week of very cold weather can you post weather/road conditions in your area as often as possible. It will be helpful for those of us out and about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have head for Lifford tonight. Irlpic. Bring a flask. I have to catch the 7.30 bus from Ballybofey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

We had a few wee flurries in Ballybofey in the last hour but it seems to be over for now and the roads are not affected.

I think the worst is to come tomorrow night and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

irish1967 wrote: »
    I have head for Lifford tonight. Irlpic. Bring a flask. I have to catch the 7.30 bus from Ballybofey. :)

I'm heading out in Letterkenny tonight. Hopefully it will not be too bad as i need to get a taxi home again.

Ballybofey, as said, is grand at the moment but the roads are fairly dry and if it does snow tonight the craic could be good:)

i have found this link very good in the past (better than Met.ie) for predicting what is about to hit you in your areas.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

In middle of gap now. All clear. Road dry. Slight mist. Temp 0.5c.

• Advertisement

Light spits of rain in Ballybofey now. Could make roads dodgy later !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

bits of ice about anyway. almost landed on my ass getting out of my car up the mountain top. footpath just looked wet to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

irish1967 wrote: »
    As we are heading for what looks likely to be a rough week of very cold weather can you post weather/road conditions in your area as often as possible. It will be helpful for those of us out and about.

Check out the link below from the NRA website. It gives actual road conditions at five different locations around Donegal and is updated at least once an hour.
    It will tell you temperature of road and whether it has been gritted or not.
    DB
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing in Letterkenny :D

Only light but it seems to be sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Harps wrote: »
    Snowing in Letterkenny :D

Only light but it seems to be sticking

Just back in the house (Letterkenny) and have been reading this forum for ten min.
    Just looked out the window and there is a layer of snow since I came in !!!

Looks to be stopping now but what a shock:)

• Advertisement

Typical.... Not a flake here in Donegal Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just back in the house (Letterkenny) and have been reading this forum for ten min.
    Just looked out the window and there is a layer of snow since I came in !!!

Looks to be stopping now but what a shock:)

Yeah I love that feeling when you look out the window not expecting anything and everythings white! Happened to me when I got out of bed back at the start of the year and I couldnt believe it!

Nothing since that 10 minutes earlier, clear skies but its still on the ground so if theres a decent shower then it's look good in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Real heavy dry snow in Killybegs now and its lying thick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Very heavy in Letterkenny, good inch anyway and there looks to be more on the way over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

just started snowing near donegal town lying good

Was just chatting to someone in Lifford... she was watching cars sliding past the house sideways... take care on the main Lifford - Letterkenny Road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Holy crap, the roads are dangerous. It just took me 1hr and 15 minutes to drive from Ramelton to Drumkeen. Road is just pure white, not even a track cleared by other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Loads of snow in Lifford and Strabane

N15 Kilygordon Dec 20, 03:10 -0.8° C. -1.7° C. Snow 91% 0 km/h Westerly Heavy rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

Donegal gets honourable mention....

I guess this scuppers the car boot sale in B'Shannon. Ah well...

very bad in donegal town now and all back roads are serious bad was just in collecting some people in the land rover i wouldn't of made it in the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

snowing very heavily in dunfanaghy, ground is pure white

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

very bad in donegal town now and all back roads are serious bad was just in collecting some people in the land rover i wouldn't of made it in the car

just home from a works night out roads lethal everywhere (copany to doanegal town and out again ) managed to get a lift to 1 hill from home 1.8 miles past the millpark towards drimarone, now home safe ( as is the driver of my lift )

Very few cars on the donegal bypass. About 2 inches of powdery snow. Freeeeezing cold. Think it's s day for the fireside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Roads very bad down here in the Rosses lots of ice

Be careful out there folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have to drive to Derry airport for 1.30pm, anybody know what the roads are like between Letterkenny and Derry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

was just on the port road and dual carriage way in letterkenny. the plough had been out roads are decent enough now.

last night was crazy in the town. we were all out on our staff party and after the clubs finished the place was covered in a blanket of snow and most of the taxi's had gave up and gone home. alot of stranded people stuck in the town. lucky i called the housemate to rescue me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

This seems to happen almost every year.

Would it not be a good idea for people to have a set of winter tyres i.e. studded tyres or friction tyres. We have studded wheels on our cars in Finland for 4-5 months during the winter and it makes driving a whole lot easier. An inch of snow, like someone mentioned earlier, is nothing compared to what we get here and yet we never have the chaos that you are having right now. I remember myself how difficult it is to drive in Donegal in snow but I can drive here in 2 feet of snow (when roads are cleared) without a second thought. I know I'll hear the argument that we, in Finland, are prepared for snowy conditions but as I said earlier, this seems to happen almost every year in Ireland. I know if I moved back to Ireland in the future, one thing I would definitely have is a set of winter tyres.

i always put snow tyres on the car from dec on they not the ones with studs but still do the job and their just 25 euro each , i also have a land rover witch is fantastic on the snow its unreal the hills it will go up in the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Here is a link to the Donegal County Council's road gritting winter routes policy.

Click on your area to see exactly what roads they service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There was about an inch and a half of snow fell overnight in the twin towns area. The main roads are OK having been gritted but I had a look at a couple of the side roads and they are still whiter than a lambs arse.

Drive carefully if you have to travel on any of the county roads.

Advertisement