Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

:eek: Geez, I really cannot remember a Xmas this cold before - and I wasn't born today or yesterday either ;) The upside of being confined to base is that I have everything ready for the dinner tomorrow and all the presents are wrapped and ready ... for the visitors that might not manage to ski their way in here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Some photos from today behind Errigal. temp was down to -6 at lunchtime and that was with the sun shining. Bitterly cold but the boys still managed to build a snowman. Some wintery scenes below.

Errigal, taken from beside An Chuirt
    screen04dec241537.jpg

Lough Gainimh, frozen solid and not looking very sandy
    screen14dec241541.jpg

Errigal
    screen17dec242108.jpg

The Slashers house hidden in the trees.
    screen11dec241539.jpg

And the canal at Arduns/Gweerore
    screen15dec241542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I can't wait to get up to Donegal next week, and drive around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Killybegs harbour has frozen over solid for the first time since 1963. Going to freeze even more tonight

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Killybegs harbour has frozen over solid for the first time since 1963. Going to freeze even more tonight
    Thats amazing, whats the temp there?

• Advertisement

Its showing minus 3 in the car right now but it was minus 8 lastnight and it didnt thaw out all day. I went down to the slip on the shore road and threw a stone in and it just bounced off the layer of ice without penetrating it. The small boats that are at anchor look wierd almost as if the are sitting on a floor not on water. They cant move out of it even if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Minus 8.5 at the moment in Donegal Town. Scary stuff.

Its showing minus 3 in the car right now but it was minus 8 lastnight and it didnt thaw out all day. I went down to the slip on the shore road and threw a stone in and it just bounced off the layer of ice without penetrating it. The small boats that are at anchor look wierd almost as if the are sitting on a floor not on water. They cant move out of it even if they wanted to.
    Thanks rushnaldo, did you have the camera.
    bohsboy wrote: »
    Minus 8.5 at the moment in Donegal Town. Scary stuff.

minus four here now in Annagry, was minus six at about 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

HIc hic hic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hey, that is OUR ROAD!!

You must have passed the door here; wish I'd known as almost out of fuel and cannot get down in the wee car...

Wonderful photos; thank you
    some pics of the Blue Stacks if ya can see them ha ha

had to take the landrover up this road don't think the car would make it

SDC13586.jpg
    SDC13584.jpg
    SDC13583.jpg
    SDC13582.jpg

SDC13579.jpg

• Advertisement

Greetings from Letterkenny. Made it here no bother. Lowest temp was at Kees in Stranolar. -7.5. Top of gap was -7. Main roads all clear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Went out with kids this morning at 7am to see did rudolph make a mess with the carrots, checked temp in car and it was -11:eek:

-11 is the record for temp in Ireland in December . congrats on your record :)

Took these today after mass. Killybegs frozen. Remember this is salt water:)

4213220298_1d1e2ee910_m.jpg

4212454721_1a7f6d390b_m.jpg

4213218504_e9b7f163bb_m.jpg

4213216654_c4ced86847_m.jpg

4213215710_e353641154_m.jpg

4213214742_275cd575b9_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There is ice on the Foyle at Lifford bridge. I can't remember that happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Couple of nice seasonal pics taken on the Clady - Strabane road on Xmas eve. No snow on the road there.091224_145948.jpg091224_150014.jpg

And a couple of pics of the river Finn taken from the twin towns bridge earlier today. Quite a bit of the river is frozen and I never really seen that before.091225_113753.jpg091225_113847.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

smashey wrote: »
    There is ice on the Foyle at Lifford bridge. I can't remember that happening before.

Did you ever hear the wan about the iceberg that came up the Foyle away back one Christmas and sat under Lifford bridge for months.
    -They rekon there was wains still skating on it on Paddy's Day:D

That story came out of Porthall right enough, from my Grandfather who was a great man at the yarns, God rest him.

Snowing heavy here in Annagry now, started about 15 minutes ago

Took these today after mass. Killybegs frozen. Remember this is salt water:)
    Its unbelievable to have that happen in Donegal. Has the Gulf Stream ran away?

Lovely xmassy type scenes now in the twin towns with the snow falling :)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Lovely xmassy type scenes now in the twin towns with the snow falling :)
    Get he camera out

Get he camera out
    Here you go :)

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

muffler wrote: »
    Here you go :)

Thanks, thats falling heavy, only snowed for about 40 minutes here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Great pics on this thread - I took a few, but too much mulled wine to upload them at the moment :) Just about to indulge in the dinner of the year (hic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Carefull tonight folks, im just getting in from leving the girlfriend into derry for her christmas party and i left at 5.50 so a 45min jurney took double that, my car is reading 1degree but the roads are glittering like tinsel on a tree and are extremly slippery, went in the killea road home the bridgend road neither seemed gritted, then stopped to turn in my road and the car slid sideways down the road and jamed against a ditch, even when it was -9i was able to turn in my road. It must be because its thawing and the water on top of the ice is making it more slippery!

P.S. thanks to my friendly neigbhor at sharon glebe for pushing me round again:o

Yes indeed, the slight thaw and now freezing conditions again are going to cause more problems.

Funny enough today was the first day that I couldn't get reversed into my driveway - spin, spin, spin :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

some of the untreated/uncleared estates/roads around donegal town last night and this morning were lethel following the recent rain fall, paths included. even when taking to the grass to walk it was slippy, everything was like an ice rink.

hopefully some of it clears before the predicted snow and ice for later in the week and new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Agree with all the above, its very deceptive this evening. Not AS cold as earlier in the week but roads are again very very dangerous around Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

not sure about donegal town, but some of the back roads outside it were at their worse today out of the whole weekend, and where there was slush and compact snow there was almost sheet ice

be care full anyone driving in it

• Advertisement

Freezing here the last hour and back roads are sparkinng now and very slippery.

Advertisement