Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing for the second time here this morning.... brrr... anyone know what the road is like from here to Killybegs

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

lorry in the ditch on the sharp bend before the dummy's bridge (should be moved by now various tractors pulling it out)
    donegalman1 - whats the green party got to do with it ?
    its your local councillors that set the budgets and "manage" all of this its those people you need to complain to - but lets be fair we dont have the equipment for 3 weeks of weather like this (i know i dont, if it happened every year i'd have winter tyres in the shed and snow chains in the car, if i bought snow tyres now theyd be perished by the next time this happens)

you can keep tyres for a long time just keep them cool, dry and especially in the dark, UV destroys rubber,some tyres you buy new be laying in tyre centers for years , if you look on the side of tyres you will see the date they were made it goes be the week/year so it will be a number like 4908

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

the gritters werent putting anything on the roads last night but they were driving around. coming out fox hills up the mountain top today my car slammed into the curb and totally bent in the rim on my wheel. thank god for spare wheels!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Looks like another layer of snow is on the way:eek:

just home there from work, could hardly see the roads the snow was coming down that heavy in letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Is it just me or does anybody now believe in "Global Warming" ?
    Global freezing would be more like it. :D

danjo wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anybody now believe in "Global Warming" ?
    Global freezing would be more like it. :D

all i can think about is that south park episode "The day after tomorrow" :D

Temp here now. -0.4. Spare a thought for county Carlow. Just hit -14.6 and still dropping. !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭donegal lass 4

Hi,
    Anyone know what the roads are like between sligo and killybegs, I'm due to go home today, will be travelling at 1pm or so.
    In particular around grange (sligo), ballyshannon and mountcharles and in around donegal town.

thank you if anyone can reports back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

Donegal Town to Killybegs was ok at 6.30am this morning..I met the gritter heading into bruckless so it should be fine now

• Advertisement

main roads are passable with care , more snowfall last night fresh coasting in donegal town this morning

Yeah... new snow.. different look about the place this morning. This is the first morning I haven't been able to see the sun come up. Foggy / misty grey cold morning. Forecast is for 'possibly' more snow around noon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Same here, snowing the last 10 minutes and the sky looks full of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Same here, snowing the last 10 minutes and the sky looks full of it.

which hill is that, quite plentiful here you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

emmemm wrote: »
    which hill is that, quite plentiful here you know.
    Annagry/Gweedore

be carefull on back roads their very bad today just sheet ice on most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

be carefull on back roads their very bad today just sheet ice on most of them

yep watch yourselves
    fun this morning trying to guess what was slush/ slush with ice under, tarmac or ice with dirt on it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah our estate is hazardous atm. I didn't attempt to take workvan down the mild hill to my house this evening, as there wouldn't be a hope in hell of it getting back out in the morning! It's safe to say that rear wheel drive Transit's are useless in these conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Went up to a guys house near Knock crossroads, Ballybofey and the car started moving a lot on the road. There were 2 narrow strips (ruts) on my side of the road as I was driving up and these were just the right width for car wheels but there was still frozen ice/slush in the middle of the tracks and to the side also. Very difficult to see them in the dark now as they have turned colour.

I was meeting another car and obviously held a little more to the left hand side but this then put all 4 wheels on the ice and she was slipping and sliding out and in of the ruts.

I got as far as yer man's gates and turned in to go up the driveway. Got about 5 metres only and I could go no further. reversed out and went home again.

Watch out people for the back roads particularly those that are on high(ish) ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Gonna be driving up to Letterkenny/Milford on Saturday, reckon it's still gonna be bad?

• Advertisement

Apart from a bit of overnight snow (possibly) tonight there is a thaw here yesterday and today and it will continue slowly but will pick up a bit more momentum as the temperatures rise towards the weekend. Id imagine you will be fine.

Just a thought - tune into highland radio online and listen out for the weather details on the hourly news headlines.

Or ocean fm for south o' the gap :)

Slightly off topic but iron bridge in Donegal Town closed this morning due to burst pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Freezing in Letterkenny tonight again.:(

its back ! snowing out side donegal town :D

Yeah streets are white. Only in center and north of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Nooooooooooooooooo! :( Enough already! Snow in Lifford again - though last night's melted fairly easily earlier today. I hope tonight's will vanish as quickly. We've only just got back to normal and the roads are full of craters. Damned white stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sheet ice all over the drimarone road this morning - rained at about 6:30am tok 20 mins to get enough of the windscreen clear to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yesterday was pretty; my new policy is that if the road up here is white, I stay home.

Getting too old for these adventures.

So I enjoyed the snow...

It was thick with ice and compacted snow.. and now all has gone in the night of rain.

• Advertisement

Dont despair as there's a bit o' the white stuff forecast for tomorrow morning.

Advertisement