Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

yeah Donegal Town is lethal. Roads footpaths grass... I have never seen anything as slippy. Just sent 35 mins walking what would normally take 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Shiny, slippy, lumpy-bumpy roads here on the outskirts of Lifford - worse than they've been since the big freeze ... and that's saying a lot. The thaw/refreeze effect is a nightmare - maintaining your balance is impossible and I'm definitely sober ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Even down there?

Are they not clearing any?

After yesterday's attempt to get out I am now resigned to my confinement.

It is not snow any longer; white compacted solid ice.

The dogs love it; they gnaw at it.

Fascinating to watch them

Take care
    irish-stew wrote: »
    not sure about donegal town, but some of the back roads outside it were at their worse today out of the whole weekend, and where there was slush and compact snow there was almost sheet ice

be care full anyone driving in it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I can't even get the car out of the estate I'm in, out Old Laghey Road today.

I did manage it yesterday, but the car did slide all over the place, so decided best not bothering today! Only vehicles having success atm seem to be 4x4's.

Can't even walk on the footpath. Heck, even the grass is a solid lump of ice and snow.

I think all estates should have a gritbox or something for such times. Though I guess these conditions are somewhat rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

looks like another night of freezing , donegal town was deadly last night and today aswell past post office and bosco center don't bother going out unless ya really need to

• Advertisement

Gee.. yep, bitter cold up here...

Are they not gritting? Oh they ran out didn't they?

A couple of cars got up here as the ice had frozen hard on the road.

Stay safe and warm
    looks like another night of freezing , donegal town was deadly last night and today aswell past post office and bosco center don't bother going out unless ya really need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

My feet are currently up in front of fire and only intend moving to beat the girlfriend on the wii again:p

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Diversion signs up on the Gweedore side of the Errigal road. Seemingly the council have run out of grit for the road.

Freezing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »

I think all estates should have a gritbox or something for such times. Though I guess these conditions are somewhat rare.

was having the same conversation with some one the other day, used to see them about, but to be honest, would people make much use of them, if you did need them you would probably find the grit gone

wentt past the bosco centre yesterday, 7up on ice could have saved them selves a fortune and had the ice rink there instead of letterkenny
    Graces7 wrote: »

Stay safe and warm

had seen no grit laid around the down since before xmas day, apart from the odd member of the public taking apon them selfs to grit the section of road outside their drive or around the local comunity, but am most surprised none of the pavements are gritted, surely at this point it would be cheeper than the cost of A&E admissions

byte

irish-stew wrote: »
    was having the same conversation with some one the other day, used to see them about, but to be honest, would people make much use of them, if you did need them you would probably find the grit gone
    Well, I know I'd make use of one, if there was one. Can't really take the car out atm.

Ardeskin Heights is the only location in town that I know of to have a grit box, which they do use. Mind you, that's quite a steep hill - wouldn't fancy trying to slide the car down that brae!

• Advertisement

Do what I do... save the ashes from the fire and spread them.

Even 4x4 cant make it up here today. there is ZERO grip. Have to ry walk into town tomorrow for essentials:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

irish1967 wrote: »

Even 4x4 cant make it up here today. there is ZERO grip. Have to ry walk into town tomorrow for essentials:(

That's exactly what my resourceful Mum used on a lethal, slopey bend near my house. She spread the ashes from the fire onto the road. It works a treat and I reckon my Mum has saved a few accidents from happening. She also used the coombe (spelling?) from the peats. It works better than the ashes because it's bumpy and has more grip but I suppose not everyone has access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Graces7 wrote: »

Stay safe and warm

seems like one of the local members of the council out the killybegs rd got their rather long drive gritted by 4 polish men in a van!!!!

post fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

feelpablo wrote: »
    seems like one of the local members of the council out the killybegs rd got their rather long drive gritted!!
    Id take a photo of that if I were you and give it to an "opposition" councillor and ask for an explanation when there are hundreds of people basically with cars trapped in their driveways at the moment.

muffler wrote: »
    Id take a photo of that if I were you and give it to an "opposition" councillor and ask for an explanation when there are hundreds of people basically with cars trapped in their driveways at the moment.

+1

byte

Hmm, interesting suggestion.

Dunno what the neighbours would think of me scattering ashes on the street, but damnit, if it gets us mobile...

I did it early today and within half and hour 2 other neighbors were doing the same. Let's face it. It's going to rain and wash it away. We can be sure of that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Yes, try and enjoy the good side of it because very soon it will return to the same old same old that we constantly give out about.

Ps. Up the Harps and Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

irlpic wrote: »
    Yes, try and enjoy the good side of it because very soon it will return to the same old same old that we constantly give out about.

Ps. Up the Harps and Ireland!

Any signs of a thaw today?

danjo wrote: »
    Any signs of a thaw today?
    Yes, actually!

May be short lived though but in any event the depth of frozen snow/slush/ice seems to be finally decreasing a little.

• Advertisement

Don't be deceived; all that is happening is that gravity is compacting it more.:)

We have a wee bit of green grass exposed here now, but the rest is solid ice, and I have not been able to get out for nearly two weeks now.

Bitter wind chill added.
    muffler wrote: »
    Yes, actually!

May be short lived though but in any event the depth of frozen snow/slush/ice seems to be finally decreasing a little.

Yeah. It seems we are in for at LEAST another 2-3 weeks of this. Frost early next week forecast to be severe. We r looking at more -10s. Haven't got out even one night this holidays and looks like new years eve will be a no go area also. Wind howling outside here now. Don't think it technically froze last night but windchill was brrrrrrrr. Stock up folks while you still can. (I know u are stuck grace) I checked out that you are 3.05 miles from me as the crow flies.

3.5 miles on the car clock also..

Just seen the car of the man who promised to fetch gas and coal pass townwards; he has "special tyres" he said, and a very good driver too.

If he remembers:)

Yep the wind chill is really something else.

I think I can last another three weeks foodwise. If I give the dogs and cats all the meat.. as I usually do!

Yeah. It seems we are in for at LEAST another 2-3 weeks of this. Frost early next week forecast to be severe. We r looking at more -10s. Haven't got out even one night this holidays and looks like new years eve will be a no go area also. Wind howling outside here now. Don't think it technically froze last night but windchill was brrrrrrrr. Stock up folks while you still can. (I know u are stuck grace) I checked out that you are 3.05 miles from me as the crow flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Our road is passable now, judging by the traffic, so I intend to get supplies in today and hole up again for the impending arrival of the next ice age :(
    Wider family New Year's Eve celebrations (an annual event) in Letterkenny have been cancelled due to travel fears so it's going to be a night by the fire (again). It could be worse - a lot worse. We have water during the day (off every night now), plenty of logs, enough food for an army, a few films recorded and (best of all) the Internet :D
    But Irish1967 I hope you're wrong about the duration - I really couldn't bear it to last for another few weeks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

was just out the lifford road for the last two hours and when i got up the mountain top there was a light blanket of snow. doesnt seem to have fallen in any of the lower areas. untreated roads are almost undriveable at this stage

snowing a bit in the donegal town area now , i was on the drimarone road earlyer today their unreal bad altidooh is very bad but i made it over it :D

And some snow in "The Gap" in the last couple of hours.

A bare inch up here.. my green grass and soft earth are now white and hard again in the moonlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Does anyone know what the main road from Dungloe to Ballybofey is like today.

• Advertisement

if forcast is right we'll soon be snowed in bad in the next few days

heres a cool looking lake i took a pic of last week

SDC13590.jpg

Advertisement