Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow / Ice Reports December 18th onwards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A mate is snowed in-he lives in a particularly 'hilly' part of Letterkenny. I'm due to drive up on the 23rd/24th-I hope I will be able to get up the road to the homeplace-tis on quite a slope.

i always put snow tyres on the car from dec on they not the ones with studs but still do the job and their just 25 euro each , i also have a land rover witch is fantastic on the snow its unreal the hills it will go up in the snow

I saw this recommended recently, can't say whether or not it is any good myself, but it looks like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I saw this recommended recently, can't say whether or not it is any good myself, but it looks like a good idea.

looks very handy nearly too good to be true , the problem here is that there is snow then tar snow tar snow tar , spining the wheels on the snow then hit the tar bye bye auto sock, but maybe its tougher than it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A mate is snowed in-he lives in a particularly 'hilly' part of Letterkenny. I'm due to drive up on the 23rd/24th-I hope I will be able to get up the road to the homeplace-tis on quite a slope.

is there any parts of letterkenny that are not hilly, would i be gussing you might have to get out and walk to the 'top'

;)

have heard the wintery showers are due to die out in the next couple of days before the return of wind and rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

snowing heavy now again here between newtown + manor, -2 according to car therm too. i duno how accurate if at all it is though (auris):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stayed put up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The main road through the twin towns doesnt appear to be gritted and apparently the Stranorlar - Lifford road is the same. The roads are now frozen so anyone traveling needs to be extra careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Lightening here in Annagry for the last half hour. Moving to the south now. Hail & sleet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

looks very handy nearly too good to be true , the problem here is that there is snow then tar snow tar snow tar , spining the wheels on the snow then hit the tar bye bye auto sock, but maybe its tougher than it looks
    Q3.
    http://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-faq.php

I'm sure you wouldent get too many miles out of them on tarmac but they seem to be easy enough to take off and put on if you do get onto a well cleared road. They would be good for getting from the side roads to the main roads, probably the most dangerous part anyway.

over looking donegal bay

SDC13573.jpg

back road just out side donegal town

SDC13567.jpg

SDC13575.jpg

SDC13578.jpg

snow tyre :D

SDC13574.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Was meant to drive up to Dungloe via Letterkenny today, decided against it cos on AA roadwatch had severe ice warnings on their website and I'd be driving at night time so I think it would be a bad idea.

over looking donegal bay

back road just out side donegal town

SDC13575.jpg

SDC13578.jpg

snow tyre :D

Your a brave man driving up there Deer Hunter DL

some pics of the Blue Stacks if ya can see them ha ha

had to take the landrover up this road don't think the car would make it

SDC13586.jpg
    SDC13584.jpg
    SDC13583.jpg
    SDC13582.jpg

SDC13579.jpg

www.yr.no is predicting a very cold Christmas Eve & Christmas morning for Donegal.

Frightening cold actually with Letterkenny predicting -9 on the 25th.

FYI (taken from the weather section of boards)
    The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

Annagry, shown below with -7 on Friday morning.
    screenhunter004m.jpg

Letterkenny showing -9 Christmas morning
    screenhunter003n.jpg

Keep warm everyone.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

www.yr.no is predicting a very cold Christmas Eve & Christmas morning for Donegal.

Frightening cold actually with Letterkenny predicting -9 on the 25th.

This is a great site.
    Thanks for posting,

danjo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

just starting to snow like mad in letterkenny now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Shame Im not around there for Christmas, back in the Rosses where we've got nothing but the odd hail shower.

Much depth now? Was still a good 5cm in places when I left yesterday afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

-5:eek: when leaving the Mrs to work in Ballybofey this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town skating rink now open !! All town roads are crazy slippy... be careful out there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Every road i've been on this morning around Ballybofey has a thick layer of ice on it, bar the main street. Still freezing hard here.

• Advertisement

How is Lifford->Letterkenny? Have they been treating the road or just the Dual Carriageway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

irlpic wrote: »
    Every road i've been on this morning around Ballybofey has a thick layer of ice on it, bar the main street. Still freezing hard here.

Ye, freezing fog here in Glenfin. Heading off to Letterkenny now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

How is Lifford->Letterkenny? Have they been treating the road or just the Dual Carriageway?
    I was on that road last night and it was fine.

SLIDEY ??? What makes you think that????
    tandd.jpg

smashey wrote: »
    I was on that road last night and it was fine.

Cheers-am about to hit the M50 now, Driving Home for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Freezing fog all the way from Bridgend to Barnesmore Gap this afternoon, and also from Laghy to somewhere outside Ballyshannon.

The sun shone when we passed through Barnesmore -despite its bad reputation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

suns gone down now and its freezing big time in letterkenny.

22/12/09 @9am - View of Errigal from beside An Chuirt Hotel Gweedore

screen01dec240309.jpg

Killygordon regestering as coldest place on NRA site at 5pm..... -7.4 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish1967 wrote: »
    Killygordon regestering as coldest place on NRA site at 5pm..... -7.4 !!!
    Im not surprised. Stopped in Liscooley just after 5 for petrol and had to use a key to flip open the petrol tank cap - it was stuck solid. Then the door handles just about pulled out with a fair bit pf force. No water for windscreen either despite the fact that I have window washer/anti freeze mix in the bottle.

Advertisement