Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Haha, Glad its working for people, most ISP's DNS servers are absolutely rubbish no matter who your providers its worth changing.

I dont actually know who maintains the 4.2.2.1 dns servers but they are always good and really easy to remember. (Verizon in the US possibly)

The other set of IP's are from opendns.org

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

fionny wrote: »

I dont actually know who maintains the 4.2.2.1 dns servers but they are always good and really easy to remember.

They're not given full production maintenance any more, and are only minimally kept up as a courtesy to legacy users, and shouldn't be relied upon.

I did not know that, I will update my original post, Ive been using those addresses for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

Stupid question, if I changed the DNS on my Xbox; would that help in any way? Or am I just gettin' abit carried away.

Stupid question, if I changed the DNS on my Xbox; would that help in any way? Or am I just gettin' abit carried away.

Probably wouldnt help as DNS (Domain Name Resolution) basically just converts an address like www.google.com into an IP address. The Xbox would probably be configured with direct IP's in the first place and as such wouldnt speed anything up.

On the otherside it wouldnt hurt either.

• Advertisement

Probably wouldnt help as DNS (Domain Name Resolution) basically just converts an address like www.google.com into an IP address. The Xbox would probably be configured with direct IP's in the first place and as such wouldnt speed anything up.

Ah ok, sadly UPC 30mb just doesn't seem that fast on Xbox.

Give it a try anyway wont do any harm.

Also how is the Xbox connected? If wired is an option try that instead as it will be faster immediately.

Might be worth checking out if there are ports to be opened for the Xbox also.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6745637_open-xbox-live-ports.html

Its all about latency when it comes to gaming so wired is a much better option, also could get a better router.

Give it a try anyway wont do any harm.

Also how is the Xbox connected? If wired is an option try that instead as it will be faster immediately.

Might be worth checking out if there are ports to be opened for the Xbox also.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6745637_open-xbox-live-ports.html

Its all about latency when it comes to gaming so wired is a much better option, also could get a better router.

A new router is my best option, I've put a static IP on my xbox, opened all the correct ports etc. Didn't seem to do anything.

I bought one of these:

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20067060/Linksys_E2000_Advanced_Wireless_N_Router_/E2000_EW/default.aspx

Really solid router with wireless N and more importantly Gigabit Ethernet :) Not a bad price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

New UPC Speed issues thread here. All posts there from now on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement