Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

O...They advertise a free wireless router. It should be safe to assume that the router supplied is at least capable of supporting the product you've paid for.

They also call it fibre broadband. But its not fibre to the door.

Likewise they don't say you'll get the advertised speeds to your laptop via wireless. They could give you a 802.11b wifi router and still be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Are UPC still giving out plain old cable modems (without wireless)? Have the Cisco EPC2425 and I'm getting fed up with the random disconnects that can only be solved by restarting the router, especially when I have a linksys wrt54gl with dd-wrt firmware gathering dust in the next room. :mad:

Failing that, from a look through this thread it looks like some people are using their own cable modems - are you people just receiving broadband through it or do you have it on tv/phone/broadband packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Anyone know what their fair usage policy is for their 30Mb service? And does anyone have the url for getting the free upgrade(old 20Mb to the new 30Mb) online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭moonboy52

el dude wrote: »
    Anyone know what their fair usage policy is for their 30Mb service? And does anyone have the url for getting the free upgrade(old 20Mb to the new 30Mb) online?

250 GB per month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

el dude wrote: »

This has been discussed before.

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

It refers here in section 3:
    The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie

So you toddle on over to the page for the 30Mbit BB, which states:
    Monthly data usage is capped at 40GB for Fibre Power Broadband 5Mb, there is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb or 30Mb. All Home Phone and Fibre Power Broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy.

So, in reality, they cannot cap your limit, as nowhere they have stated what the actual cap is. All they state is that on their higher end packages, there is no limit.

You would be quite successful going to comreg should they attempt to discontinue / limit your service due to high usage.

You could also bring them to court if required under the Sale of Goods Supply of Services Act.

The upgrade online form does not appear to exist anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

moonboy52 wrote: »
    250 GB per month

just to make you aware the 250Gb is both download and upload combined, not just download.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    just to make you aware the 250Gb is both download and upload combined, not just download.

Of Course :)

My router has a download / upload monitor built in to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

IrishTonyO wrote: »

I'm aware that some people have been kicked up to the "extreme" package @ €80 a month for exceeding the limit..does anyone know if thats for persistent violations of the 250 Gb limit. I'm just a bit worried I might have brushed past that limit last month. I don't usually go near it but are one-offs permitted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

UPC blackout in the middle of the semi finals last night. What a joke.
    No signal. No broadband no phone and more importantly no TV, in the middle of the World cup semis!!!!

I have the service 3 mere weeks, and I'm not really happy.
    Constant testing (Wireless and Ethernet) at all times of the day
    for two weeks reveal a 12Mb average download (I have the 30Mb line)

One more issue with them and they can take their equipment back

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

I just ordered UPC broadband 15mb last night, and I was complaining about the fact they have new service coming up (100mb broadband) and I don't want to be locked in a bad package.

Anyway the woman said that anyone with 15mb broadband will automatically be upgraded to 30mb and anyone with 30mb would be upgraded to 50mb. Take it for what it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Of Course :)

My router has a download / upload monitor built in to it

Which router is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

BostonB wrote: »
    Which router is that?

I'd like to know the answer to that also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

That would be any router capable of running DD-WRT firmware.

BostonB wrote: »
    Which router is that?

WRT54-GS (v5.0)

As my router is the v5.0 version i had to use the cut down firmware called micro.

It does have the download / upload monitor so i am content.

My next router would be one that could run TOMATO or the full version of DD-WRT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have never called to upgrade (for from the 20 meg package (for free, to the 30 meg) because of this thread.
    My service has been working pretty well and don't want them to f**k it up should they upgrade it...

Is this scenario possible or am I getting ahead of myself?

Also, have any existing customers tried to get a new wireless router out of UPC?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Have never called to upgrade (for from the 20 meg package (for free, to the 30 meg) because of this thread.
    My service has been working pretty well and don't want them to f**k it up should they upgrade it...

Is this scenario possible or am I getting ahead of myself?

Also, have any existing customers tried to get a new wireless router out of UPC?

Got the 20 to 30 Mbs upgrade about two weeks ago. I get the full 30 when I'm connected to the modem. Stays at about 21/22 Mb down wireless which is to be expected. Upload speeds are a steady 3 Mb up both wired and wireless.
    Still using the same old netgear router. If I had an N router, then that combined with the N card in my laptop would put me in wireless heaven. Still hoping upc might give out new routers if they are going to ramp up speeds again in August.:rolleyes:

They have me on a 'Scientifica Atlantica' modem which isn't wireless.
    I had a wireless belkin of my own but it's not working right.
    Might give them a call and chance my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

On 30mb package, connection was like a yoyo today, usually it's fine. Noticed really slow download speeds too (speedtest.net). Do UPC throttle if you go over some hidden limit?

edit: fixed now...looks like my connection got an upgrade if Steam is anything to go by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anybody had any interference with analogue channels with UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Signed up to 15mb the other day. The modem was delivered this afternoon. So I set it all up and it all seemed to be going well but there is no internet! It says it isn't synchronized on modems web browser page. The DS light keeps flashing, the US and Online lights are not lit. Could anyone shed some light on my problem? The manual said it should do this for about 5 minutes, it is now an hour and 45 minutes! Any help would be much appreciated. Right now my guess would be needing to ring UPC so they can activate the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

They have me on a 'Scientifica Atlantica' modem which isn't wireless.
    I had a wireless belkin of my own but it's not working right.
    Might give them a call and chance my arm.
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

seriously, keep the sci. atlanta modem, it's by far the best option and just get a new router to use with it.

if you convince them to give you the cisco modem/router you'll regret it. search the broadband form for the word 'cisco' and you'll see what I mean.

you are infinitely better off sticking with the SA modem you have and getting a broadband router to go with it.

if you don't plan on going any faster than 30mbps then just get your own broadband router and connect it to the SA modem, but be aware that UPC are 'apparently' doing upgrades to give people the option of up to 100mbps next month and the 30mbps package will likely (IMHO, nobody knows yet for sure) be upgraded to 50-60mbps and the SA modems will be replaced on packages beyond 30mbps as they are not up to the job technically, going by what's been happening with UPC connections in the netherlands after their 120mbps upgrades.

i currently have a Linksys WRT54GS running the tomato v1.27 firmware and i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a modem only option when UPC do the 100mbps upgrades so i don't have to end up lumbered with whatever modem/router they give out (based on the cisco POS they currently give out).

Is that definite that the SA modems won't be able for the 50 Mbs speed (I thought they could handle up to 54 Mbs) ?

vibe666 wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

seriously, keep the sci. atlanta modem, it's by far the best option and just get a new router to use with it.

if you convince them to give you the cisco modem/router you'll regret it. search the broadband form for the word 'cisco' and you'll see what I mean.

you are infinitely better off sticking with the SA modem you have and getting a broadband router to go with it.

if you don't plan on going any faster than 30mbps then just get your own broadband router and connect it to the SA modem, but be aware that UPC are 'apparently' doing upgrades to give people the option of up to 100mbps next month and the 30mbps package will likely (IMHO, nobody knows yet for sure) be upgraded to 50-60mbps and the SA modems will be replaced on packages beyond 30mbps as they are not up to the job technically, going by what's been happening with UPC connections in the netherlands after their 120mbps upgrades.

i currently have a Linksys WRT54GS running the tomato v1.27 firmware and i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a modem only option when UPC do the 100mbps upgrades so i don't have to end up lumbered with whatever modem/router they give out (based on the cisco POS they currently give out).

Thanks for your post. The last technician that was here advised I just call them up and say that the wireless router that I have isn't working (even though I didn't get it from them, he said they wouldn't have a clue) and to ask them to replace it.
    I guess he wasn't of the same opinion that the cisco ones are sh1t, or didn't care to mention it.

tbh, I'm just technically fairly clueless, I have a belkin wireless router and the only thing wrong with it is that I have no idea what the password is for it.
    I've been given various advice from people about how to login to it and I've googled and tried all sorts of default combinations but none have worked.

I probably just need to reset it but I've never set one up before and am wary of ****ing it up and being unable to get online or leaving it wide open.

Is that definite that the SA modems won't be able for the 50 Mbs speed (I thought they could handle up to 54 Mbs) ?
    I'm assuming that a cable modem with a gigabit ethernet interface would be needed for packages greater than 100Mbps; using fast ethernet on a 100Mb package is at the bleeding edge of the technology.

I'm still on 10Mbps here, has anyone been automatically upgraded to 15 yet? Doesn't bother me either way as 10 is still plenty for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm assuming that a cable modem with a gigabit ethernet interface would be needed for packages greater than 100Mbps; using fast ethernet on a 100Mb package is at the bleeding edge of the technology.

I'm still on 10Mbps here, has anyone been automatically upgraded to 15 yet? Doesn't bother me either way as 10 is still plenty for me.

I queried the upgrades due to this thread a few months back (must be February) and got an email telling me it would happen automatically in a few weeks. Still on 10Meg and it is fairly reliable. Wary of any upgrade to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The last technician that was here advised I just call them up and say that the wireless router that I have isn't working (even though I didn't get it from them, he said they wouldn't have a clue)

Please do bear in mind the person giving you this advice was a white van man who generally reads the sun in car parks eating food from petrol stations for their lunch break.

Also bear in mind that UPC have only ever given netgear routers (anyone here can confirm that) so you claiming you got a belkin from them will only result in a bit of embarrassment.

From my experience white van men will tell you ANYTHING you want when they are in your house but the real story is soon shown once you call their office.

Netgear/Scientifica Atlanta/Cisco, not all netgear?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Netgear/Scientifica Atlanta/Cisco, not all netgear?

No.

Cisco = Linksys and Scientific Atlanta

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/EU/en/home

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac0/ac1/ac259/scientificatlanta.html

and Netgear = netgear:)

www.netgear.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just going by what they did in the Netherlands where they have 5, 25, 30, 60, 90, 120mbps packages and have been replacing the SA modem on the 60mbps packages upwards when they upgrade people.

maybe here they'll do a 50mbps package instead of 60mbps being as ATM they're only going to 100mbps, not 120mbps as they are in NL.

it might also make sense for them to do that as both the SA modem and Cisco EPC2425 modem/router that Irish UPC customers currently have were recently granted EuroDOCSIS2.0 certification last July, meaning they are both suitable for up to 55mbps connections.

i guess we won't know for sure till they actually roll out the upgrades though.

• Advertisement

Using an SA at the moment.
    If they upgrade, do they upgrade to a wireless router?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement