Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Will the 20mb users be upgraded to 30mb? Our line is still on 20mb, and is very stable and consistant, about 18-19.5mb on speedtest.net every time I check. Never opted in for the last upgrades as the parents were still still deciding on providers and the year contract would have been a pain. Dont really want to ask for the 30mb upgrade now as a lot of people seem to have issues with the speed, and Im happy with the consistant 20mb. Might just wait for the next upgrades.... Or will we be auto upgraded to 30mb?

Similar experience here.
    I'm now considering calling them and asking them to bump me down to 15meg.
    I can't imagine I'll notice a difference and it would save me 12.70 a month or 25e every bill.

Has anyone experience of downgrading? Any problems??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

Im a bit disapointed UPC, Im paying for a 30mb circuit and this is all you give me

933890644.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/933890644.png

I really need the 30 as promised

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

I am paying for 30 and only getting

20.56 upload
    2.99 download.

:mad:

Me thinks its time to spend time waiting for the nice people in UPC to answer the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

sue97 wrote: »
    I am paying for 30 and only getting

20.56 upload
    2.99 download.

:mad:

Me thinks its time to spend time waiting for the nice people in UPC to answer the phone.

What server were you testing with?
    Are those values the wrong way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

got a message from upc today telling me the upgrade me from 20mb to 25mb any one else got upgraded today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've been on the 20 mb package for well over a year now and i got a text today saying i was just auto upgraded to 25 mb and needed to restart my modem. After the restart i got 24 mb downspeed. So it did jump up a bit as i was getting 19 odd before it. But i thought i should have been an upgrade to 30 mb? Is it worth calling them up to get the extra 5 or will that start a new 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

jos22 wrote: »
    got a call from upc today telling me the upgrade me from 20mb to 25mb any one else got upgraded today ?

you sure it wasn't upgraded to 30Mbps?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    you sure it wasn't upgraded to 30Mbps?

the message say 25mb. speed test are currently 19 -21mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Interesting development, it could be that they are starting the process of matching the packages the use elsewhere.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Interesting development, it could be that they are starting the process of matching the packages the use elsewhere.

may be but then you think the 20mb user be upgraded to 30mb since that price we are paying for. wonder how they upgrade those on the old slower speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

yeah me too got the 25mb text and I had contacted them a few weeks back and it was another 12months to get the 30 mb. Might be happy with 25..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Got the phone text today ! a bit late after it was down all last night during the upgrade ( first time down in 2 years ) ...but speedtest now showing over 23mb post upgrade which is cool. Hope I now get another 2 years of stable connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

and I was told on the phone there is a contractual obligation with the 30mb upgrade. Im not taking this until the 100+mb comes out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Also just got a txt this morning for FREE upgrade from 20Mbps to 25Mbps... Interesting development... Quite a long wait considering I've been loyal more than 8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Aren't you entitled to 30 if you are on 20? So why are they bumping people to 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Got the text also. It was just a blanket text to areas receiving the upgrade. As already stated its only to 25mb as its a marketing scheme. They upgrade existing customers to 25mb so it may get existing customers to request the 30mb upgrade which locks you into another 12 month contract. This is also why the price is the same for both 25mb and 30mb, more incentive for the customer to request the upgrade to 30mb.

Its all about marketing and keeping customers as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

How much do they charge you when you brake the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

How much do they charge you when you brake the contract?
    Think its about €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

Bump

999665502.png

Tested on a server in Brummy. When I test it on a server in Ireland I only get 25-28mb, rather weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bump

999665502.png

Tested on a server in Brummy. When I test it on a server in Ireland I only get 25-28mb, rather weird.
    Speedtest.net might not be 100% reliable there are a bunch of reasons it could be like this the server in Ireland might not be able to upload to you fast enough or it could be the patch between you and the server or it could be a speedtest error

• Advertisement

I keep getting like 50%+ packet loss. I'm using a wired connection aswell anyone have any tipson how to improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I see UPC have upgraded there basic pack from 5Mb to 8Mb. I got a free upgrade last time from 3Mb to 5 Mb but i had to fill out a foum on their site. . I am still on 5Mb. Will i automatically be upgraded to 8Mb or is there another form i have to fill out somewhere. cant find it on the UPC website anywhere.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I keep getting like 50%+ packet loss. I'm using a wired connection aswell anyone have any tipson how to improve this?
    assuming you're the same as everyone else who makes the complaint, you aren't actually getting 50% packet loss. your router is dropping packets from pingtest.net because one of their tests looks like and IP flood attack.

if you really want to get better ping results from pingtest.net then turn off IP flood detection in your router, but the only thing it will affect is your pingtest.net results, it will have no other positive effect on your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I see UPC have upgraded there basic pack from 5Mb to 8Mb. I got a free upgrade last time from 3Mb to 5 Mb but i had to fill out a foum on their site. . I am still on 5Mb. Will i automatically be upgraded to 8Mb or is there another form i have to fill out somewhere. cant find it on the UPC website anywhere.:(
    Hey give them a call that form you filled out last time was a 12 month contract extension if you call them though they should either point you toward where to sign your 12 month extension or they'll fire you up to 8

vibe666 wrote: »
    assuming you're the same as everyone else who makes the complaint, you aren't actually getting 50% packet loss. your router is dropping packets from pingtest.net because one of their tests looks like and IP flood attack.

if you really want to get better ping results from pingtest.net then turn off IP flood detection in your router, but the only thing it will affect is your pingtest.net results, it will have no other positive effect on your connection.

Alright cheers mate. So there is no difference when I'm playing Xbox? I have all the right ports forwarded and a static IP address for my Xbox - so having the firewall off is just useless?

Ninja edit; has anyone had any problems on Xbox live? I can rarely ever keep a 4 bar when I'm playing Cod . I'm on the 30mb package btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

I hate this "latency bar" things on console games. :/

Why can't they just show your latency? It's almost impossible to find a console game that displays your latency for you.

If you guys know any game that this is possible, please share your latency with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 razor_sharp

1010086763.png

1010097055.png

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

1016220118.png

Bloody router keeps restarting(Cisco 2425)! Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I just got UPC 30mb, anyone know what the download limit is on this package? and how strict are they with going over it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I just got UPC 30mb, anyone know what the download limit is on this package? and how strict are they with going over it?

Thanks

250GB per rolling 30 days that includes upload and download.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement