Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Using an SA at the moment.
    If they upgrade, do they upgrade to a wireless router?
    i don't think anyone knows yet.

cisco do a modem only option of their docsis3 cable modem/router kit, so who knows.

maybe after the fiasco with the cisco kit they'll go with someone else for the upgraded kit.

my nephew lives in the Netherlands so I'll see what he can dig up about the kit they're using there on the Dutch forums as that's probably the best reference to go by, but by no means the only option for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

vibe666 wrote: »
    i don't think anyone knows yet.

cisco do a modem only option of their docsis3 cable modem/router kit, so who knows.

maybe after the fiasco with the cisco kit they'll go with someone else for the upgraded kit.

my nephew lives in the Netherlands so I'll see what he can dig up about the kit they're using there on the Dutch forums as that's probably the best reference to go by, but by no means the only option for them.
    I've heard its thomson branded wireless N router/modem.

DingDong wrote: »
    I've heard its thomson branded wireless N router/modem.
    thanks DingDong, you do have a bit of a knack for hearing stuff. ;)

any news on the 'when' part? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

vibe666 wrote: »
    thanks DingDong, you do have a bit of a knack for hearing stuff. ;)

any news on the 'when' part? :o
    No idea but they will be taking it slowly. They dont want a repeat of the 30Mb upgrade. The new DOCSIS 3 modem/router looks quite nice too (model TWG870)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭timefora_J

If you go onto the upc.nl and click on more info on the BB products you'll see a pic of the modem/router, looks the same as the Thomson you posted :

fiber_power_60_box-wifi.jpg

twg870.jpg

Jsut wish that had one in black, thats gonna stand out like sore thumb with the rest of my kit

• Advertisement

timefora_J wrote: »
    Jsut wish that had one in black, thats gonna stand out like sore thumb with the rest of my kit
    2 words.....Duct Tape! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Had my 30MB install yesterday -

Loving the upload speed - download is touch and go for me. Im happy when im hitting 20 - 22MB as i expect a certain loss on wireless but not hitting it yet (early days i know)

896447539.png

But what has me very concerned is this

21238829.png
    21238863.png
    21238932.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Had my 30MB install yesterday -

Loving the upload speed - download is touch and go for me. Im happy when im hitting 20 - 22MB as i expect a certain loss on wireless but not hitting it yet (early days i know)

896447539.png

But what has me very concerned is this

21238829.png
    21238863.png
    21238932.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek: Have you read the whole tread?? Turn off the firewall in the Modem and you'll go from 90%+ in packet loss to 0% packet loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Nice one mate

Much better

21240404.png

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Nice one mate

Much better

21240404.png

No Probs!
    Glad it sorted out the problem for ya... I dunno why UPC insist on leave that fooking thing on TBH. It's giving false impressions of their otherwise good service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I never even knew they increased their speeds and only found out the other day. Called up to change from the 20 to the 30 and your man said i could do it online. Anybody know how you do it online? Do you just go to the the Broadband tab and select order on the Fibre Max package? It comes up looking for bank account details when i do that. Thought i would have just had to enter my UPC account number and they sort it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Would this be what he meant?

http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Speed_Changes/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

should upc stop puuttin firewalls on the routers as the packet loss is imense with it enabled doesnt make any sense really to be honest:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

jay93 wrote: »
    should upc stop puuttin firewalls on the routers as the packet loss is imense with it enabled doesnt make any sense really to be honest:confused::confused:

I started a thread a few weeks ago about the Firewall on UPC routers.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055912177
    Some silly person posted a rude unhelpful reply.

After that post the thread sank without a trace.:rolleyes:

Whats even more funny is somebody thanked him for the silly post.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

Could someone hand me the link to the upgrade form?
    thx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Rickard wrote: »
    Could someone hand me the link to the upgrade form?
    thx

Here it is
    http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Speed_Changes/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jay93 wrote: »
    The firewall is a good thing, you shouldn't disable it at all as it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

The Pingtest is seen as a ping flood attack. Dropping the packets is the proper response. It doesn't affect your connection adversely in any way.

Blowfish wrote: »
    The firewall is a good thing, you shouldn't disable it at all as it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

The Pingtest is seen as a ping flood attack. Dropping the packets is the proper response. It doesn't affect your connection adversely in any way.

Unless you playing Xbox or Playstation.

I have helped countless people on this board who could not play an online game on their console until the firewall was turned off.

Your PC has a firewall and consoles don't need one.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Who more than likely just need to forward the correct ports. You don't need to disable the firewall completely for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I have helped countless people on this board who could not play an online game on their console until the firewall was turned off.

Your PC has a firewall and consoles don't need one.

You can hardly call that a UPC problem now!

ANY wifi router bought today will have its own built in firewall and this more than likely will effect gaming and will need to be disabled / tweaked or ports forwarded. It would be truely irresponsible for anyone to supply a wireless outer without any protection built into it.

• Advertisement

Who more than likely just need to forward the correct ports. You don't need to disable the firewall completely for that.

I am good with computers but messing with a firewall just makes my brain switch off.

My photos and personal stuff are backed up and turning off the firewall on the router only has never caused me a problem.

If my computer gets a virius that is what the reinstall disc is for and all my files are backed up.

Firewalls on roters cause problems for lots of people.

Edit my ping test.21699589.png

Firewalls on roters cause problems for lots of people.
    Like whom?
    Ranicand wrote:
    Edit my ping test.21699589.png
    And here's mine:
    21703897.png

The thing is, with those results there is no performance difference between our connections, in the general case or even when it comes to pinging (though mine does actually look slightly better, it'd need more tests to verify).

The main difference between the two is that I'd have an extra layer of protection in case my machine is compromised by malware etc.

Whether you want that extra protection is up to yourself obviously, however stating that disabling the firewall will improve your connection is blatently false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Like whom?
    And here's mine:
    21703897.png

The thing is, with those results there is no performance difference between our connections, in the general case or even when it comes to pinging (though mine does actually look slightly better, it'd need more tests to verify).

The main difference between the two is that I'd have an extra layer of protection in case my machine is compromised by malware etc.

Whether you want that extra protection is up to yourself obviously, however stating that disabling the firewall will improve your connection is blatently false.

Couldnt have put it better myself tbh, firewall on or off you have the exact same connection to your modem ether way. Pingtest.net is simply for people who havent a foggy one on how to actually use the tools already in their comp but yet have heard from a friend of a friends sisters father about this "brilliant" site to check your line and have a whinge afterwards! .... its the worst form of chatter over a garden hedge which leads to complete bull being spouted.

If you want to game through a router... learn how to configure your router to allow this (any router including and isp supplied on or a third party one) not just remove protection to do so... its like saying "My dog has terrible trouble getting in the doggy door.... ah I'll just leave the door open sure!" (and then going whinging about "those dammed doors causing so much trouble")... Great idea. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

It's not the firewall. It's the flood detection setting that lowers the ping test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Just upgraded from the 3 to 5 meg

V Happy

908643651.png

21853538.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gone from the old 20mb package to the new 15mb one. Dont need 20mb, even though they charge a €10 downgrade fee.

908759648.png

FWIW heres pingtest but the router blocks a lot of it. Actual performance is rock solid, apart from the odd wireless disconnection from the router.

21859166.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I started a thread a few weeks ago about the Firewall on UPC routers.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055912177
    Some silly person posted a rude unhelpful reply.

After that post the thread sank without a trace.:rolleyes:

Whats even more funny is somebody thanked him for the silly post.

Just checked that post, all I can say Ranicand is that there is always one! Or sometimes sadly more. You have always been good help to me cheers.

Like whom?
    And here's mine:
    21703897.png

False NO!! Disabling the firewall on my cisco router got me from 70% packet loss to 0% packet loss.

There is no need for a firewall on the router assuming your computer is fully protected.

bryaner wrote: »
    False NO!! Disabling the firewall on my cisco router got me from 70% packet loss to 0% packet loss.
    Ok, explain to me how that actually improves your connection then.

The only time packets are dropped is when being ip flooded. The only times this is likely to happen is during the pingtest or when someone is ddosing you. The pingtest is a test and not indicitive of normal traffic so it's irrelevant that packets are dropped during it. When being ddosed, why would you not want the packets dropped?

• Advertisement

Ok, explain to me how that actually improves your connection then.

The only time packets are dropped is when being ip flooded. The only times this is likely to happen is during the pingtest or when someone is ddosing you. The pingtest is a test and not indicitive of normal traffic so it's irrelevant that packets are dropped during it. When being ddosed, why would you not want the packets dropped?

Because I want everything perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement