Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Your prerogative - I suppose you'd be better off going with a more expensive, slower solution from a competitor with no hope of an upgrade for years....:rolleyes:

When UPC up their speeds, they usually change all of the packages, and give current customers to opportunity to upgrade to the new speeds.

Whats with the :rolleyes? UPC's last upgrade was a sorry mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

BostonB wrote: »
    Whats with the :rolleyes? UPC's last upgrade was a sorry mess.

Well I stayed with the package I had, and experienced 0 problems.

Your statement there has absolutely no bearing whatsoever as to the point mmillie or myself was making.

The rolleyes were in relation to complaining that an ISP might dare to upgrade their service.

The irony being this is thread of 100+ posts complaining about the same upgrade. So its entirely relevant.

The irony being this is thread of 100+ posts complaining about the same upgrade. So its entirely relevant.

Look I'm not getting into this with you, as you quite obviously have your own agenda and haven't bothered reading the post I was referring to. The poster was considering not going to UPC because they were under the illusion soething faster/cheaper was coming out, and they'd be tied into a 12 month contract at the slower speed.

It has NOTHING to do with the recent upgrade issues, NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

The rolleyes were in relation to complaining that an ISP might dare to upgrade their service.

Who was complaining that an ISP might dare to upgrade their service?

I was going to simply hold off.

• Advertisement

mmille24 wrote: »
    Who was complaining that an ISP might dare to upgrade their service?

I was going to simply hold off.

You (or at elast thats the gist I got form your post anyway - apologies if I picked it up wrong)
    I'm moving into a new apt soon, really debating whether I should hold off on getting UPC broadband. I don't want to get something and be locked in for 12 months, and then a few weeks later they make everything cheaper with faster speeds.

When they upgrade, they generally move ALL customers to the new packages over time.

i.e with the recent upgrade, if you were on 10mbit, you will be moved to 15 etc

And from what I've seen, you're generally better off holding onto the established service than going for their 'next fan-bleedin'-tastic' upgrade, as there are nearly always issues when they roll out a new service.

I certainly would let that put you off ordering from UPC, their speeds are generally good, and service is pretty good too.

Probably the best of a bad bunch tbh, or check with Magnet (over phone line), you will need to ensure there is a phone line & socket installed though. They will re-activate the line via Eircom.

In fairness, you rolled eyes on the idea of a competitor being better. You answered the question about the upgrade without roll eyes.

I wouldn't assume UPC is better. It should be better, but it isn't always. Tis all.

In fairness, you rolled eyes on the idea of a competitor being better. You answered the question about the upgrade without roll eyes.

I wouldn't assume UPC is better. It should be better, but it isn't always. Tis all.

I think you're paying to much attention to the roll eyes ;)

Entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    UPC is cable broadband, you get a wireless router with the 15mb and 30mb packages.

I've been a customer for years (so obviously I'm a leper in their eyes), don't have a wireless router.
    I have one of my own but it's not working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patricko

Hey Guys,

Maybe someone can advice me what to do with my problem. I upgraded the bandwidth to 30Mb. Before I did it, I had heard that there are some problems with performance of the Netgear router( with 30Mb). So, I asked the person from customer service if it will be working with upgraded bandwidth, the answer was yes.
    But now, through the wireless connection I can't achieve wanted speed. When the laptop is connected with the UPC modem directly, I have on the speedtest 26Mb - this what should be.

I spent hours with UPC customer service, they asked me several times to run sped tests, and plug out/in modem and router. Even though I told them that problem occurs only using wireless connection. Finally, they told me that it's a router issue, and I should call to Netgear.
    The Netgear support told me that they can't help.

Did you have a similar problem before ? Why I should buy the new router by my own money ? if they say that upgrading bandwidth without any cots. I got the router from them, so I assume if they upgrade the speed, it should also work with the router.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

patricko, help us out here, what speeds are you getting over wireless? I doubt that you will get anything close to 26Mb/sec over wireless, you might get 10-12Mb over WiFi depending on location, router, laptop etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What's happening here is that the faster speeds that UPC are offering are exposing the limitations of the wireless standard - if you want to get the most from these new speeds it's Ethernet that you need to look to.

I am sorry i wasn't too specific. I had a speed like 26Mb when i had wired connection between my pc and the UPC modem. But using wireless connection through the netgear router I have roughly 16Mb.

My question is what then if I change the router to any with 802.11n, where the bandwidht is 108Mb, and it shouldn't become the bottleneck.

I think it should help, if so, who should pay for that ?

16Mb is fine for wireless. I've an 802.11n router in my room and I still don't get the full bandwidth, why? My laptop doesn't have an 802.11n card, it only has a 802.11g

Secondly, you want a different router, you'll have to pay for it. UPC are delivering very close to the 30Mb when you hook a cable up. They don't support routers.

patricko wrote: »
    I am sorry i wasn't too specific. I had a speed like 26Mb when i had wired connection between my pc and the UPC modem. But using wireless connection through the netgear router I have roughly 16Mb.

My question is what then if I change the router to any with 802.11n, where the bandwidht is 108Mb, and it shouldn't become the bottleneck.

I think it should help, if so, who should pay for that ?

An ISP's obligation is to get a bb signal to your router or modem. It is as simple as that. Some provide a wireless router as part of their special offers but there is no onus on them to support your wireless problems within the house or apartment where you are.

If you want to upgrade your wireless that's your problem. And remember if you want to upgrade to the N standard all the pcs/laptops connecting to the network will have to be N also or you lose the benefits.

I have a network adapter with the standard n as well. I think with the 802.11n router I should observe better performance.

Also I do understand that UPC is the internet provider, and they provide only the cable with desired bandwidth.
    But I got from them the router as well, when I signed the contract for 20Mb bandwidth. And I was said that when I upgrade to 30Mb it will be working fine, and I don't need to pay any additional money. Just the contract extension is required for another 12months. But it seems I need to buy a new router, what costs me additional money. Probably will buy the new one today, instead of spending another few hours on phone with customer service.

Thanks for all your replies to my post.

dub45 wrote: »
    An ISP's obligation is to get a bb signal to your router or modem. It is as simple as that. Some provide a wireless router as part of their special offers but there is no onus on them to support your wireless problems within the house or apartment where you are.

If you want to upgrade your wireless that's your problem. And remember if you want to upgrade to the N standard all the pcs/laptops connecting to the network will have to be N also or you lose the benefits.

Surely, if they're supplying the router, it should be capable of transmitting a signal with enough bandwidth to support the full bandwidth of the BB package you have?

i.e 30Mbit/s with UPC - surely they should supply an 802.11n router.....

Otherwise you'll only get the full bandwidth using an ethernet cable... (I could be totally wrong here, as technically, you can just use the cable, but that's not very practical for a lot of people these days).

Surely, if they're supplying the router, it should be capable of transmitting a signal with enough bandwidth to support the full bandwidth of the BB package you have?

i.e 30Mbit/s with UPC - surely they should supply an 802.11n router.....

Otherwise you'll only get the full bandwidth using an ethernet cable... (I could be totally wrong here, as technically, you can just use the cable, but that's not very practical for a lot of people these days).

What's the logic for the 'surely'? They are supplying a 'speed' to the customer it is up to the customer how they want to use it?

And even if UPC supplied N routers there is no guarantee that their customers will know how to maximise the potential of such equipment. How many of their customers are likely to have N wireless cards or even have the foggiest notion of what it means?

And if UPC start supplying N routers it is going to increase their costs and ultimately their prices.

i.e 30Mbit/s with UPC - surely they should supply an 802.11n router.......

Supplying a Wireless N router won't guarantee you get the full signal either.

You location might have thick walls, or interference beyond UPC's control.

Its up to you to learn about it.

• Advertisement

What's the logic for the 'surely'? They are supplying a 'speed' to the customer it is up to the customer how they want to use it?

And even if UPC supplied N routers there is no guarantee that their customers will know how to maximise the potential of such equipment. How many of their customers are likely to have N wireless cards or even have the foggiest notion of what it means?

And if UPC start supplying N routers it is going to increase their costs and ultimately their prices.

Logic fir surely = supply a service of 1 speed, but realistically the customer can only receive 2/3 of it. That's the 'surely'.

'Surely' that was obvious, no?

If they are supplying the equipment to utilise the service 'surely' the equipment should be able to transmit the full service to the customers computer?

Now as I said, technically, you could just use the ethernet, or buy another router. But this is an extra cost to the customer, just to receive the full benefit of the service they are paying for.

Case in point - Magnet. Supply a Wireless G router - but you MUST use this router (nothing to stop you using that as modem, and getting another router though). But, it means you cannot avail of the full service through the supplied router (via wireless).

If they are to continue this, they should at least inform the customer that the supplied equipment may not be able to transmit their full BB speed via wireless.

Supplying a Wireless N router won't guarantee you get the full signal either.

You location might have thick walls, or interference beyond UPC's control.

Its up to you to learn about it.

Thats being pedantic. At least the router can ACTUALLY transmit the full bandwidth of the BB signal, anything after that is nothing to do with UPC - not their problem if you live in a lead house with 4 foot thick walls. A G router cannot even transmit the full bandwidth of their 30MBit/s service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What if interference from your neighbours wireless means that even the 'N' spec routers don't supply the bandwidth you need - where do you go then?

WiFi usage is dependent on the environment it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A G router cannot even transmit the full bandwidth of their 30MBit/s service.

Aren't all G routers sold with 54Mbps capability?

Logic fir surely = supply a service of 1 speed, but realistically the customer can only receive 2/3 of it. That's the 'surely'.

'Surely' that was obvious, no?

If they are supplying the equipment to utilise the service 'surely' the equipment should be able to transmit the full service to the customers computer?

Now as I said, technically, you could just use the ethernet, or buy another router. But this is an extra cost to the customer, just to receive the full benefit of the service they are paying for.

Case in point - Magnet. Supply a Wireless G router - but you MUST use this router (nothing to stop you using that as modem, and getting another router though). But, it means you cannot avail of the full service through the supplied router (via wireless).

If they are to continue this, they should at least inform the customer that the supplied equipment may not be able to transmit their full BB speed via wireless.

It is not up to UPC to give their customers a technology briefing. After all garages selling cars don't provide driving lessons. An isp sells a product to a customer and the onus is on the isp to provide the product as contracted for.

There is no onus on the isp to get that product around the house via a wireless network at a particular speed. And even if they gave out the most up to date wireless equipment there is no guarantee that any particular speeds could be achieved due to the multitude of factors that affect wireless performance.

You have only to read a few reviews of wireless equipment to see how much the performance of it can vary. (Particularly the 'N' stuff.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I currently use a Netgear WNR2000(Supplied by NTL at one point) with a Intel 4965 n card(€10 off ebay) in my laptop. It only an entry level N router but I get excellent results Link. Even on my old WGR614 I managed about 16-18Mb.

Aren't all G routers sold with 54Mbps capability?

Yes but there is a big difference between capability and day to day performance sadly.

This is an interesting read (slightly out of date now probably but still worth the effort)

http://www.cites.illinois.edu/wireless/speed.html

It is not up to UPC to give their customers a technology briefing. After all garages selling cars don't provide driving lessons. An isp sells a product to a customer and the onus is on the isp to provide the product as contracted for.

There is no onus on the isp to get that product around the house via a wireless network at a particular speed. And even if they gave out the most up to date wireless equipment there is no guarantee that any particular speeds could be achieved due to the multitude of factors that affect wireless performance.

You have only to read a few reviews of wireless equipment to see how much the performance of it can vary.

Look, I'm fairly well versed on the tech. My problem (well its not even a problem really) is that from a consumer point of view, they should at least supply the equipment capable of providing the service to the customer.

As I said, anything past that is not of their concern. This has nothing to do with the complexities of wireless networks and the environment in which it is employed.

If they are supplying a wireless router to a customer, and advertising it as such, it is very reasonable to assume that that wireless equipment they are supplying/advertising is capable of supplying the bandwidth that you've paid for.

I'm not stating anything else regarding what the customer does past that.

The fact of the matter is, even if your PC is 10 feet from the router, in the same room, with no interference, an 802.11g router is not capable of supplying 30Mbit/s to your PC.

Look, I'm fairly well versed on the tech. My problem (well its not even a problem really) is that from a consumer point of view, they should at least supply the equipment capable of providing the service to the customer.

As I said, anything past that is not of their concern. This has nothing to do with the complexities of wireless networks and the environment in which it is employed.

If they are supplying a wireless router to a customer, and advertising it as such, it is very reasonable to assume that that wireless equipment they are supplying/advertising is capable of supplying the bandwidth that you've paid for.

I'm not stating anything else regarding what the customer does past that.

The fact of the matter is, even if your PC is 10 feet from the router, in the same room, with no interference, an 802.11g router is not capable of supplying 30Mbit/s to your PC.

And the fact of the matter is that even if UPC supplied an N router they cannot guarantee that the pc will get the maximum speed anyways. For all you know there could be a 'b' card in the pc! Even if the pc had a n card there can be compatibility issues which affect performance between different manufacturers' products. (This shouldn't happen but it does)

For most people wireless is a convenience. If you want performance then you go for ethernet.

Now if UPC were claiming in their advertising that the 'super fast speeds' were available over the wireless equipment that they provided that would be a different issue.

And the fact of the matter is that even if UPC supplied an N router they cannot guarantee that the pc will get the maximum speed anyways. For all you know there could be a 'b' card in the pc! Even if the pc had a n card there can be compatibility issues which affect performance between different manufacturers' products. (This shouldn't happen but it does)

For most people wireless is a convenience. If you want performance then you go for ethernet.

Now if UPC were claiming in their advertising that the 'super fast speeds' were available over the wireless equipment that they provided that would be a different issue.

Obviously, but once again, thats nothing to do with UPC - but at least the equipment supplied would be capable of transporting those speeds.

They advertise a free wireless router. It should be safe to assume that the router supplied is at least capable of supporting the product you've paid for.

It doesn't, that's the issue. I'm not sure if they state anywhere that the case either.

Obviously, the more tech savvy of us would just use our own equipment and there wouldn't be a problem (the UPC routers are crap anyway, but get the job done for most).

• Advertisement

The equipment is capable of handling those speeds ....via the Ethernet interface...

Nowhere in the UPC terms and conditions does it say anything about the performance of the router. In fact if you ring the helpdesk and complain about speeds, the first thing they'll do is if you have a modem & router is to plug the PC into the modem, bypassing the router altogether. Obviously this isn't possible when it's all-in-one unit like the Cisco's, but they will then ask you to plug directly into the unit and not using wireless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement