Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

bryaner wrote: »
    Because I want everything perfect.
    Ok, how is it not perfect with the firewall on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Blowfish wrote: »
    Ok, how is it not perfect with the firewall on?

Because there is packet loss and that's not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Because there is packet loss and that's not perfect.
    Once again, there is no packet loss, except in the case of pingtest.net.

pingtest works by sending 250 ping packets within a few seconds to your IP. Sending so many in such a short period is stupid as naturally enough the traffic ends up looking like a mini DoS attack. The router picks up on this and drops the echo, hence the silly numbers.

The proof that the firewall isn't actually dropping packets is quite simple (ignoring the fact that your connection would be unusable if it was actually dropping 90+% of packets).

Open up a command prompt and punch in 'ping -n 100 heanet.ie'. That basically does the same thing as pingtest in that it sends off 100 pings, except it (quite sensibly) only sends them once a second, hence doesn't resemble a flood attack so won't trigger flood protection. Here's my results:

53817632.jpg

0% packet loss with ip flood/firewall enabled. Precisely as you'd expect. The reason you are seeing high packet loss from pingtest is simply because pingtest is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Blowfish wrote: »
    Once again, there is no packet loss, except in the case of pingtest.net.

pingtest works by sending 250 ping packets within a few seconds to your IP. Sending so many in such a short period is stupid as naturally enough the traffic ends up looking like a mini DoS attack. The router picks up on this and drops the echo, hence the silly numbers.

The proof that the firewall isn't actually dropping packets is quite simple (ignoring the fact that your connection would be unusable if it was actually dropping 90+% of packets).

Open up a command prompt and punch in 'ping -n 100 heanet.ie'. That basically does the same thing as pingtest in that it sends off 100 pings, except it (quite sensibly) only sends them once a second, hence doesn't resemble a flood attack so won't trigger flood protection. Here's my results:

53817632.jpg

0% packet loss with ip flood/firewall enabled. Precisely as you'd expect. The reason you are seeing high packet loss from pingtest is simply because pingtest is flawed.

Yup fair enough. All the same I'd keep my computers firewall up and not worry about the routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Landlord86

Currently with Irishbroadband on a 4mb upload/download. Getting 4mb constantly and never recieved anything about download limits etc. And i download constantly.
    Been thinking about changing for a while.
    Wondering if its worth it to change to the 30mb.
    few quick questions:
    Is the upload speeds hindering?
    what speed do you really get in stillorgan, dublin, on a regular basis?
    Any word about download limts/typical user clauses etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Landlord86 wrote: »
    Currently with Irishbroadband on a 4mb upload/download. Getting 4mb constantly and never recieved anything about download limits etc. And i download constantly.
    Been thinking about changing for a while.
    Wondering if its worth it to change to the 30mb.
    few quick questions:
    Is the upload speeds hindering?
    what speed do you really get in stillorgan, dublin, on a regular basis?
    Any word about download limts/typical user clauses etc?

the upload is between 2mb/s and 3mb/s max as far as i know
    download limit is currently at 250GB with upc which is great is you download alot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yup fair enough. All the same I'd keep my computers firewall up and not worry about the routers.
    that makes no sense whatsoever. The SPI firewall on most routers will stop the overwhelming majority of incoming attacks before they ever make it to your software firewall and in the vast majority of cases it is your first and best line of defence against this type of attack and should not be disabled.

no, they're not 100% effective against every type of attack and are completely useless if someone on your LAN downloads a trojan (which is why you should also have a software firewall on all your PC's).

think of it as the 10 foot high electrified barbed wire perimeter wall & gate going around your property. even if your house itself has the best security in the world, it's still just one layer of protection if you leave your front gate wide open. and what happens if something goes wrong with your house security?

there's not a software firewall in the world that is 100% infallible either, like everything else in the computer world, they're not immune to having vulnerabilities that can be exploited or bugs that can cause them to fail entirely.

nobody is ever 100% safe from attack, but what you can do is make sure you're not a soft target and the only way to do that is with multiple layers of protection.

the CIA, FBI, NSA & NASA have all been hacked. do you honestly think a simple software firewall is going to keep you safe? where do you think the people who hacked those systems practised their 'art' before they went for the big ones?

multiple layers of protection is the only way to go.

a safer browser with ad-blocking etc. good antivirus, good antispyware, good software firewall, good router with SPI firewall and other security and if you have a bunch of PC's on the same connection a good filtering web proxy that you can add blacklists to is also a good idea.

several 99% effective methods of protection is going to do a damn sight more to keep you safe than one 99% effective layer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Hi Guys

I got 30 mb UPC installed in yesterday,really happy with it sofar

Its probably the only broadband that I didnt really have to mess with to get it working properly,I only had to change the DNS settings because the pages were loading slow on my IMac

Speedtest is showing 27MB wired and 20MB wireless,should I be losing 7 MB because of wireless?

Im downloading at about 2.5MB so its pretty fast but have to limit it at that as it drops down if it goes near 3

Is there any tweeks I should make to the router,I hear of people knocking off firewalls

Any opinions on a few tweaks and the loss through wireless would be great

Ta

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Im losing about 6 or 7mb over wireless as well so could be the norm.

Getting 3.1mb upload though so happy out regardless

they're not exactly known for being the best over wireless. 20mbps is about normal going by what i've seen on here in the past.

bear in mind though that even under prefect conditions the best you can expect out of bog standard 802.11g is a sustained throughput of 30-35mbps due to the creative accounting of wireless manufacturers to 20mbps out of a crappy wireless device isn't that bad really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

On 30 Mbs connection as well. The speeds you quote seem to be the norm. Even on newsgroups the best I get is 2.3 - 2.4 MB/s down on a wireless connection. The upload speed seems fixed at about 3.1 Mbs wired and wireless. I love having this type of "complaint".:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Landlord86

Was just looking at the conditions of the fibre swift broadband on the UPC site.
    it states:
    "Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 5Mb, 15Mb and 30Mb. Broadband speeds are the maximum possible speeds only."
    Thus since average expected is 30Mb, and maximum is 30Mb; it means that you must be getting 30Mb constantly to get an average of 30Mb.
    Therefore, if you are getting below the 30Mb, they are breaking their own conditions and thus voiding their contract.
    Or am I totally off base :)

Oh, and does anyone know where to get the UPC " acceptable usage policy"?
    And what do they mean by "uncongested"? It cant mean 1:1 ratio. So what does it mean?

I love having this type of "complaint".:)

Its funny how things change isnt it,A few months ago I was on eircom and getting 0.8Meg

Now Im getting 23-25 Meg and still want more,roll on 100........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Anyone else get a text this morning from UPC telling them they've been upgraded (from 10-15) for being a "loyal customer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Solyad wrote: »
    Anyone else get a text this morning from UPC telling them they've been upgraded (from 10-15) for being a "loyal customer"?

Got it last week, auto upgrades have begun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

So far so good 14.9 down, 1.5 up... we shall in the evening when it gets busier around here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Got the text this morning and rebooted the router at 4pm.

Before "upgrade", I was getting 8Mb down and 1Mb up for a 10Mb connection.

After the "upgrade to 15Mb", I was getting 5Mb down and 1.5Mb up and it is consistently the same all evening.

Load of balls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Lads just wondering, if I rang UPC on Monday how long would it take for them to come out and install it etc???
    Is there much hassle with setting it up and connecting with a ps3/xbox?
    I have a belkin router, could I keep that or is it easier to use the router UPC give you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Lads just wondering, if I rang UPC on Monday how long would it take for them to come out and install it etc???

If you get the combined modem and router make sure you turn off the firewall.

After that the only thing you have to worry about are your game skills.

I have a belkin router, could I keep that or is it easier to use the router UPC give you?

The usually takes 3 days to come out,then about 30 mins install

My PS3 connected immediately

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Also got the text a couple of weeks ago for being a loyal customer I'm very lucky in that I have consistently got what I am paying for my gf on the other hand has an unstable connection that drops and reconnects every 15 minutes but they never notice unless they are watching something online so they never bothered getting it fixed ...... sorry for my ramble:P just mentioning how different the level of service is between houses about 1km apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Will 15MB customers get an upgrade?

CorkMan wrote: »
    Will 15MB customers get an upgrade?
    15mbps WAS the upgrade. it was 10mbps before that. the 20mbps package went up to 30mbps, the 10mbps went up to 15mbps and the 3mbps went up to 5mbps.

there are more upgrades on the cards which (going by other UPC territories) will be along the lines of 20mbps, 50mbps & 100mbps with a basic 5mbps or 10mbps (or both) package at the bottom.

the current 15mbps and 30mbps packages will likely become 20mbps and 50mbps with the 100mbps coming at a premium of maybe 50-100% on top of the 50mbps package.

this is all guesswork of course, it could be completely different, but that's my best guess based on what other UPC territories have got up to now, compared with what we have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Got my auto upgrade to 15Mb today - finally. Woohoo!

Got my auto upgrade to 15Mb today - finally. Woohoo!

Jesus, its been available since January, some peeps aint in a hurry :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but if you wanted it in January you had to sign up for another 12 months and then endure the various teething issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I'm getting no difference over wifi v wired. I'm about 20 feet away from the modem in the next room. I've even lowered the power output of the modem to 50%. You might want to check that in the modem settings if you're not getting fast wifi. Experiment incrementally taking note of the default values.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

Damien360 wrote: »
    Got the text this morning and rebooted the router at 4pm.

Before "upgrade", I was getting 8Mb down and 1Mb up for a 10Mb connection.

After the "upgrade to 15Mb", I was getting 5Mb down and 1.5Mb up and it is consistently the same all evening.

Load of balls

Yeah when I had the 20Mb I would get 17 to 19 constantly. Since upgrading to 30 I get an average of about 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Will the 20mb users be upgraded to 30mb? Our line is still on 20mb, and is very stable and consistant, about 18-19.5mb on speedtest.net every time I check. Never opted in for the last upgrades as the parents were still still deciding on providers and the year contract would have been a pain. Dont really want to ask for the 30mb upgrade now as a lot of people seem to have issues with the speed, and Im happy with the consistant 20mb. Might just wait for the next upgrades.... Or will we be auto upgraded to 30mb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

They upgraded me to 15mb. All good here and nice to have a free upgrade :D

Getting nearly the 15mb. Thanks UPC :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement