Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I just got UPC 30mb, anyone know what the download limit is on this package? and how strict are they with going over it?

Thanks
    And if you go over that 250gb regularly, they'll put you on the Broadband Extreme package for 80€ for 30Mbit with no limits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

although it does seem to depend on whether or not you are in a high usage area. it's been posted before that if you're not in an area where the bandwidth is saturated that you can go over this limit without penalty, but whether or not you are in one of these areas is a matter of trial & error on your part to test the water and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DarasBB

Just installed Fibre Ultimate pack from UPC with 30mb broadband.

Did the test just a moment ago.
    1038084182.png

I was having broadband from Imagine 4mb for the last 2 years.
    Every time I was doing the test I was getting same result or better
    71093274.png

Can anybody tell me is it going to be like this (sh*te) all the time? I want to get what I'm paying for like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Thats the same 30Mb package I have although the only fiber for miles around is in my diet ;)...I'm still on the old copper cable NTL installed 10yrs ago,..your speeds should be far better than what your getting,...also try a server based in holland...see below
    1038199482.png 28513826.png 1038209848.png
    all results are on a wireless setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

DarasBB wrote: »
    Just installed Fibre Ultimate pack from UPC with 30mb broadband.

Did the test just a moment ago.
    1038084182.png

I was having broadband from Imagine 4mb for the last 2 years.
    Every time I was doing the test I was getting same result or better
    71093274.png

Can anybody tell me is it going to be like this (sh*te) all the time? I want to get what I'm paying for like everybody else.

Wired or wireless connection?

• Advertisement

Trevor451 wrote: »

Cable from the wall to the router and from router to pc.

Recently couldn't connect to ANY website for 10 mins, so replying from my mobile.
    I have 7 days to test broadband, telly and phone, as I didn't resign from imagine yet. So far I'm not pleased with those speeds.

When I'll get connection back again I'll try server in Holland.

Ps. UPC just rewired whole estate providing with digital tv and internet for the whole EdenGate in Delgany. No HD tho :(

Trevor451 wrote: »

Imagine is wireless (aerial on the balcony).

lensman wrote: »
    (...) also try a server based in holland...(...)

1038245527.png

VERY dissapointing... unless some gobsh*te in UPC set it up for 8/2GB instead 30/3...

Cable from the wall to the router and from router to pc.

Recently couldn't connect to ANY website for 10 mins, so replying from my mobile.
    I have 7 days to test broadband, telly and phone, as I didn't resign from imagine yet. So far I'm not pleased with those speeds.

When I'll get connection back again I'll try server in Holland.

Ps. UPC just rewired whole estate providing with digital tv and internet for the whole EdenGate in Delgany. No HD tho :(

Get on to UPC & register your dissatisfaction with THEIR internet service & state that the min 1yr contract between both parties does not begin until they supply the BB speeds advertised by UPC & paid for by you the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Get on to UPC & register your dissatisfaction with THEIR internet service & state that the min 1yr contract between both parties does not begin until they supply the BB speeds advertised by UPC & paid for by you the customer.

Just because you say something after you agree to speeds up to 30Mb does not make it legally binding.

• Advertisement

I did send them an email from my UPC on-line account, and I'll wait for response.

I did send them an email from my UPC on-line account, and I'll wait for response.

If you did so within the cool off period then your covered ( legally)

If you did so within the cool off period then your covered ( legally)

I did, as they installed upgraded package only today, and I have 7 days to fully test service they provide me with and resign if I'm not happy with it.

I did, as they installed upgraded package only today, and I have 7 days to fully test service they provide me with and resign if I'm not happy with it.

They will sort it out,..they might need to address your modem online & reconfigure it,... BB is the only service they do well,

They will sort it out,..they might need to address your modem online & reconfigure it,... BB is the only service they do well,

I hope so, as some Jujith from UPC customer support already answered my email.

1041701870.png

I had to press and hold for 15 seconds "Reset" button on the back of the router, so it can be rebooted and download the newest set up from UPC servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

1108871498.png

UPC 30mb, been like this for 6 weeks or so

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Onkle wrote: »
    1108871498.png

UPC 30mb, been like this for 6 weeks or so

Don't use the Limerick server.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is anyone using speedtest.upc.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I upgraded from 15Mb to 30Mb over a week ago and my download speed has been hovering slightly over the 20Mb mark ever since. It's weird because when I was on 15Mb all last year and my speed was consistently hitting the 15Mb mark. What changed?

1109035410.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Spear wrote: »
    Don't use the Limerick server.

I only noticed that after, I ran the Dublin one after I finished and I got 5mb, still far from good enough at near midnight on 30mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Those speedtests arent a true representation I have found, wireless lag, firewalls etc... all slow them down loads.

I have the 30meg from UPC and on a site I get stuff from I cap my connection out at 32megs consistently.

Id upgrade to 100meg but its a little too pricey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

So i'm goign to ring them up and try to downgrade from 30MB to 20MB. Anything i should know before doing so? Why kind of question they are going to throw at me or downgrade charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

I recently got the 30mb connection. Speedtest.net is showing that I am indeed getting the full 30 megs, but other sites (rapidshare.com premium account) are giving me a download speed of 750kb/s max.

This can't be right. Anybody have any ideas of why i can't max out my download speed? I sould be getting 3750kb/s maxed out with a 30mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

UPC very slow here too (swords).

I was on their 25mb package until last month and consistently got 25mb download speeds from usenet. We decided to get UPC TV aswell in the house at the start of the month so they upgraded me to the 30mb package but recently I cannot get near even 25mb! Downloading right now from a dedicated usenet server at 16-17mb/s! Speedtest is showing 20mb.

Has something gone wrong...is it worth my while ringing them as I think they'll just say it's congestion for this time of day?

I am having a strange problem. I am getting 30 meg download , but my internet explorer / firefox is really really slow. Image's dont seem to load.

I am having a strange problem. I am getting 30 meg download , but my internet explorer / firefox is really really slow. Image's dont seem to load.

Sounds DNS Related and easy fixed with Free DNS alternatives, what version of windows / mac (hope not) do you run?

fionny wrote: »
    Sounds DNS Related and easy fixed with Free DNS alternatives, what version of windows / mac (hope not) do you run?

Its windows 7

Right to configure another DNS:

• Start / Control Panel,
    • Network and Sharing Centre (under Network and Internet if you use the categories thing)
    • Click Change Adaptor Settings (Left hand Side of Screen)
    • Right Click the Adaptor(whichever is listed as connected)
    • Select Properties
    • Select Internet Protocal Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties
    • Click Use the following DNS Sever Addresses
    • In Primary Enter: 208.67.222.222
    • In Secondary Enter: 208.67.220.220
    • Click OK
    • Job Done

You might also clear the Cache in your browser and try.

If you need to revert all you need to do follow the above and select Obtain Automatically again.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

fionny wrote: »
    Right to configure another DNS:

• Start / Control Panel,
    • Network and Sharing Centre (under Network and Internet if you use the categories thing)
    • Click Change Adaptor Settings (Left hand Side of Screen)
    • Right Click the Adaptor(whichever is listed as connected)
    • Select Properties
    • Select Internet Protocal Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties
    • Click Use the following DNS Sever Addresses
    • In Primary Enter: 4.2.2.1
    • In Secondary Enter: 4.2.2.2
    • Click OK
    • Job Done

You might also clear the Cache in your browser and try. If those dont work try the following instead:

If you need to revert all you need to do follow the above and select Obtain Automatically again.

Hope this helps.

If I could make love to you I would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement