Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well, I'm back :)

4 miles this afternoon (9.10/mile pace), damn it feels good to be on the road again. Felt pretty much as tough as can be expected after nearly 4 weeks out, but such is life.

I'm happy now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good news. Just take it a little easy for a couple of weeks and you'll be back to where you left off in no time.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Just take it a little easy for a couple of weeks and you'll be back to where you left off in no time.

That's pretty much what my doctor was saying yesterday, to start off relatively easily and slowly build back to where I was over the next 3-4 weeks. I actually surprised myself with the pace I was managing today, I wasn't pushing it really at all and I wasn't too far away from the 9 min/mile pace that I was finding comfortable before all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Hooray! You're back in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well, I'm back :)

4 miles this afternoon (9.10/mile pace), damn it feels good to be on the road again. Felt pretty much as tough as can be expected after nearly 4 weeks out, but such is life.

I'm happy now :D

I actually saw you on your run waiting for a pedestrian light on the scholarstown road just before 2pm. I pulled up beside you, beeped frenetically and even wound down the window and shouted out it, but to no avail. You had an earphone in each ear and were in a world of your own. The people standing beside you must have thought I was some kind of weirdo :o

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    The people standing beside you must have thought I was some kind of weirdo :o
    Funny that :pac: ;)

Sorry about that, I really do tend to get into my own little world while running! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you back RK :) And straight back in at a crackin' pace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yay you're back! :D And glad to hear there's nothing wrong with you either (except, obviously, the running looniness we all carry deep inside...)

Well, despite being registered for the UCD Rás, I decided to just turn over in bed yesterday when my alarm went at 8am and my legs were actually a bit stiff from Friday's run! :eek: I don't trust my ability to run easy in a race situation, so probably for the best that I didn't go.

Did another 4 miles this afternoon (9.09/mile pace), nice afternoon for it. A little bit of residual stiffness still there, but that's slowly going away. I feel like I've lost an awful lot of fitness over the last month and that's a bit depressing. Hopefully I can get back to where I was over the next while, can't see myself being race-fit in time for the Great Ireland Run though so I think I'll focus on something in May or June, and build base so that I'm in a good place to start DCM training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Might be worth a shot, I've got unfinished business over the 5 mile distance after Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Found your thread!

Just reciprocating the encouragement you've given me! It's great that you're back and getting straight into it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you're back in motion. Know exactly how you felt, frustrating as hell. Take it easy as you ease back in, you should be able to go a good pace in the Great Ireland Run, two weeks is a long time, I was surprised how quickly my speed came back.

Another 4 miles today (9.04/mile pace). Lovely evening for it - cool and sunny, with a breeze that didn't quite rip through me as much as the wind did when I was coming home from college last night! Felt more comfortable than I did on Friday or Sunday, think I'm slowly getting back to where I want to be. Very slowly. :pac:

5 miles this afternoon (9.04/mile pace), longest run since late February - shocking! :eek: Very enjoyable run, even if it did remind me of how far I have to go to get back to full fitness. At least I can have a few guilt-free beers in my friend's house later tonight, we're having a Sacrilegious Night - watching The Life of Brian and lots of Father Ted while eating steak and having a few beers.

^^down with that sort of thing, careful now (sorry, just had to be said!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy! (One of my fav movies :))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you getting back on track RK, are you going to run the GIR?

Good to see you getting back on track RK, are you going to run the GIR?

Officially undecided, but leaning towards a no, I don't think I can get enough fitness back in the next 2 weeks to really do myself justice. It is tempting though, I did enjoy it last year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well like I said up there Im doing GIR, and I wont be racing it, if ya want someone to hold ya back ;)

• Advertisement

Things I've learnt today: Going out for a run when all you've consumed all day was a lot of Cadbury's Roses and a metric ****ton of coffee can produce strange bowel results. :mad::pac:

Did 6 miles this afternoon @ 9.02/mile pace, everything else felt like it could happily have chugged on for several more miles, apart from an urgent need to pay a visit to the ladies!

Oh well, now back to your regular scheduled Easter Sunday chocolate overdosing, and cracking up at the MTV 90's Dance Resurrection programme which is on in the background here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Haha, I hear ya!! And I've also just settled down to finish an enormous milk choclate butlers bunny who sadly lost his head at lunch time after 6 weeks of refraining!!

Love reading through the logs and your's is certainly an inspiration! Well done on getting through your injury and back out clocking up the mileage again. Very impressive!

4 miles this afternoon (8.59/mile pace), wanted to settle the brain down for an afternoon of studying. I would absolutely love to know how it's possible for a strong wind to blow straight in my face for all but about the last 400m of my 4 mile loop...

I would absolutely love to know how it's possible for a strong wind to blow straight in my face for all but about the last 400m of my 4 mile loop...
    Ooooh I had one of those runs this morning - no matter what way I turned, the wind was in my face. Very frickin' annoying!

Another 4-miler this evening (8.54/mile average pace). Pace is very slowly starting to come back, felt quite a bit more comfortable at this pace now than I did at a slower pace last week. This makes kirby a happy kirby.

In non-running-related news, I finally got my student loan sorted today. This means I can actually afford to register for races (amongst other important things :pac: ), will be registering for the Adidas race series and DCM very soon. :D

What's this? Temperatures above 5C? Surely you jest! First t-shirt and shorts run of the year today :D

6 miles (8.55/mile average pace), and I even got a little bit of sunburn on my cheeks. Nice run today, felt like I could have gone on for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Looks like you're making great times. Well done!

The stretch in the evening and warm weather is deadly

dolliemix wrote: »
    The stretch in the evening and warm weather is deadly
    Great motivation to train too, because you feel like you're wasting the nice weather if you don't go for a run. :)

Did 6 miles today (9.05/mile average pace), made sure to dig out the P20 because I actually got burnt on Friday! I'd kinda wanted to go further than 6 miles, but really wasn't feeling the love at that point so just cut it short at that point, went home and ate my weight in red grapes. NYOM :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, I meant to get up at a reasonable hour of the day today and run before college... slept through my alarm and woke up at 11.45. Whoops. :pac:

Got out for 5 miles this evening though (9.00/mile average pace), and a damn good 5 miles it was. Felt a lot stronger on tonight's run than I've felt in a while, though it might not have been my fastest or longest run lately it was certainly the one where I felt strongest. Now back to studying...

Also, this page of my log is seriously lacking in music, so here's the song that provided mid-run epicness :)

Advertisement