Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After another day in the library, I met up with Menoscemo this evening for some intervals at the UCD track. 10x400, unfortunately I'm a bit slower than him and my times for each ranged from 1:43 to 1:50. Quite an enjoyable session, in spite of the lung-burning! :)

5.4 miles covered in total. I really should do more speedwork, variety being the spice of life and all of that.

4 easy miles this evening (9.24/mile average pace), still feeling the aftereffects of yesterday in my legs but glad I got out anyway.

Crap day of thesis work though today, working with huge datasets is leaving my laptop deeply unimpressed.

5 miles this evening (9.04/mile average pace) - really wasn't feeling the love tonight, but got through it anyway. Came home to steak, which cured all ills. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

After another day in the library, I met up with Menoscemo this evening for some intervals at the UCD track. 10x400, unfortunately I'm a bit slower than him and my times for each ranged from 1:43 to 1:50. Quite an enjoyable session, in spite of the lung-burning! :)

5.4 miles covered in total. I really should do more speedwork, variety being the spice of life and all of that.

Think I was there when you were doing those - about 6:45?, you looked vaguely familar - I was on the in field stretching.

Yup, would have been around then. :)

• Advertisement

LSR fail. Went out this evening with the intention of doing 10 miles, only managed 5 (9.15/mile average pace, kicked up the pace for the last mile because I just wanted to get home). Just feeling pretty craptacular/hormonal/bleh today. Meh.

6 lovely miles this evening (9.02/mile average pace). Felt great all the way around, which was particularly satisfying because I was screwed out of my run yesterday by a rather large amount of rain turning up just as I was about to head out.

One little issue though - my shoes are almost knackered (Kayano 15's almost worn through at outside edge of the heel) and I don't want to break in a new pair before the Women's Mini-Marathon next week, particularly because I have to go for something new as I can't stand the Kayano 16. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

6 lovely miles this evening (9.02/mile average pace). Felt great all the way around, which was particularly satisfying because I was screwed out of my run yesterday by a rather large amount of rain turning up just as I was about to head out.

One little issue though - my shoes are almost knackered (Kayano 15's almost worn through at outside edge of the heel) and I don't want to break in a new pair before the Women's Mini-Marathon next week, particularly because I have to go for something new as I can't stand the Kayano 16. :eek:
    I switched from the kayano's to the GT2140's and found them really good. The support is just as good as the kayano's. I've about 350mls on them and have had no problems. (so far!!!).

Wasn't really feeling great for most of today, but still wanted to get out for a bit so I went for 4 miles at about 9pm. (9.00/mile average pace)

Got a silly comment from some kids too along the way - "Here missus, are you running by yourself because you had a row with your husband?". Nearly cracked up laughing at that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

"Here missus, are you running by yourself because you had a row with your husband?"

Haha! Classic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck in the mini Marathon on Monday RK, PB for sure and I'd say you'll be pushing 50 minutes :D

I'd *love* to be pushing 50 minutes, but I reckon it'll be more in the 51-52 minute range. Save the 50 minute time for the Pearl Izumi, and do it on home turf! :D

Picked up my number and goody bag at the RDS today, the amount of pink stuff around the place was really starting to hurt my brain and I pretty much had to get out of there as soon as I collected my stuff. If anyone's along the route on Monday, if you see number 642 please say hi :)

I think the shoe issue could be close to being solved, went to Runways today to try and get some new shoes and I quite liked the Brooks Adrenaline when I tried them on. Just waiting for my size to be ordered in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck RK ... not that you need it! Don't count yourself out of a PB until you cross the finishing line :)

Current PB is outside 53 minutes, this is practically a guaranteed PB unless some walkers manage to wangle some white numbers and block my start :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck on Monday RK, hope you hit the pb and have a good race :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck on Monday. Enjoy it!

5 hot and sweaty miles this evening (9.18/mile average pace). Pretty unexceptional run...

But I'd like to just say a gigantic F*CK YOU to South Dublin County Council about their work on the bus lane on the Firhouse Road though, they ripped out a perfectly good asphalt path and bike track section between the M50 bridge and just after Ballyboden St Enda's and replaced it with a section where the choice is concrete so hard that running 1 mile on it makes my knees hurt, concrete shaped like cobbles, and bike track that appears and disappears seemingly at random. This section has always composed a section of any training run longer than 5 miles that I've done, and I'm going to have to find somewhere different to run now because I'm going to end up injured if I don't find somewhere else.

KIRBY SMASH.

Um... I broke a tooth this evening. Why do my teeth seem to like playing up when I've got a race coming up? :(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Bad luck :( Does it hurt?
    Best of luck on Monday! What's your current pb? (too lazy to read back through the thread :rolleyes:).

It doesn't hurt, thankfully. It happened when I bit into a Butler's chocolate and it took a chunk of tooth with it :mad:

Current PB is 53.03, from the Great Ireland Run back in April. Should beat that easily. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Current PB is 53.03, from the Great Ireland Run back in April. Should beat that easily. :)

You'll slaughter that :) It's much flatter isn't it? Not getting held up by the walkers in the running section will probably be key. Sub 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

It happened when I bit into a Butler's chocolate and it took a chunk of tooth with it :mad:

I knew it, chocolate is evil!!*

Best of luck on Monday, enjoy the day out... It's not an ideal race for PB hunting because of the crowds, but really hope you hook it together and get a time you're happy with :)

*May or may not have something to do with my chocolate allergy and my hatred of the smell of the stuff...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Right to the front of the pen RK and I mean RIGHT to the front. You ARE aiming for sub 50 so you'll fit right in at the front of that pen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

+1 Get right to the front! If you're even back 10 meters you'll be held up.

Did this one a few times, and it's really more of a social event than a 'race' (unless you're one of the elites, that is:)) Sure enjoy it anyway. The atmosphere is always fantastic!

Well, I ran like **** today. Watch time 52:22.

Managed to get right up the front for the start, was actually about 20 feet away from the balloons. Weather was absolute gash, started raining at about 2.15 and only got heavier the whole way through. Bounced around a bit at the start, with all the ubercheesy "girl power" anthems on it's hard not to! :pac:

Started way too quickly, first km in 4.29 is inside 5k pace for me, let alone 10k. Settled down a bit to about 4.50-4.55/km pace after that, until between 3 and 4km my stomach decided it didn't want to play today. Felt a massive lurch, and pretty much instantly had to slow a little to avoid bringing my breakfast up all over the road. Seriously considered dropping out then, that's way too early in a race for my stomach to start complaining. Didn't though, and went through 5k in 24.45. Urge to barf got stronger and stronger as I headed up towards Belfield, and I actually did throw up in my mouth a little going up the Belfield flyover. Hit 6km then in just outside 30 minutes, and things just kept going from bad to worse. Next 2km were dreadful, just being passed by loads of people that I knew I was faster than, and any time I tried to pick up the pace I felt sick again. Skipped the water station too. Went through 8km/5 miles in just over 41 minutes, 9k in just inside 47 minutes and finished in 52.22 by my watch. Don't think I've ever been so glad to see a finish line in my life.

Legs are 100% fine now but my stomach is still a little delicate. Very frustrated with all of this, tbh. I really do think that on a different day, I have sub-50 in my legs, but my stomach needs to get on board and STFU for a while! :pac: Hopefully the Pearl Izumi in September will give me a better result on home soil.

On the race in general? I wouldn't do it without a white number (sub-60 and sub-45 pen), that's for certain. Got a very good start due to getting to the startline about 25-30 minutes early and getting quite a decent way up. Things do spread out nicely if you're a 45-55 minute 10k runner, and it just feels like a decently spread out big race. It's probably a better shot for a PB than the Great Ireland Run for women at that sort of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done for keeping it going, and that's not too bad a time in the end (beats my GIR time!). Any idea what happened with your stomach? Anything different in your preparation?

Well I broke a tooth on Saturday evening (on a chocolate in Butlers, of all things) so I haven't really been able to eat anything too chewy, hard or flaky since then, and it's made me a little nervous about eating. Also didn't get any coffee this morning before the race due to getting up 20 minutes before my bus was due, so that might be a factor for one who is as much of a caffeine addict as me!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well you certainly got a good head to keep slogging and get to the end. Dya think it was the fast start or something else that set your stomach off? Well done on a tough race, it sounded hell.

Oryx wrote: »
    Dya think it was the fast start or something else that set your stomach off?
    I think the broken-tooth-enforced diet change was probably the main cause, and the fast start didn't help either. I'm not normally a very fast starter (usually to being too honest with my start position and getting boxed in a bit because of this), but wanted to get going quickly today. I really need to work out exactly what caused this though, because I really, really want to go sub-40 for 5 miles next month in the Adidas race series 5-miler!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hope you're feeling better! It sounds like the whole 10k was a nightmare for you so its some achievement that you finished it and only 2 minutes slower than you would have aimed for on a good day. So well done! :)

Advertisement