Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I've been off my feet for nearly 2 weeks. .

I am nearly in the same boat as yourself i was meant to be off running for 2 weeks but couldnt stand it after a week a 3 days i had to go for a 5k run. I am fairly certain i shouldnt have as i had a couple minor relaspes.

Ya should still do the 5 k if your able to run and just go slowly

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Ya should still do the 5 k if your able to run and just go slowly

Going slowly in a 5k kinda defeats the purpose, tbh! I think I might just have a nice easy run up here on Sunday morning, and shoot for a PB at the Rás UCD on the 27th. Time to lay off the chocolate! :pac:

Argh. Not all my test results are back, and the doctors are being really conservative about when I'm able to get back running. I'm not allowed to run this weekend, and I have to ring them on Monday to see if the test results are back then. I'm not even allowed to do any other exercise apart from gentle walking.

Time to go cry into my DCM '09 shirt, I suppose. Doctor nearly shat a brick when I said I wanted to do it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Oh dear...

Well on the plus side you've been training and studying and going for it so hard all year that hopefully a bit of enforced rest will prove just the ticket.

It's crazy though isn't it how much our perspective on things can change! When I was in school wild horses couldn't have made me run voluntarily. Now I totally understand your frustration and dismay at not being able to exercise for a week or two! I'd be climbing up the walls as well.

Hopefully all of this will be over soon, I just want to be able to get back to normal mileage asap! Starting to feel like a blimp here, and munching my way through the guts of a packet of Toffifee is not helping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Feeling your pain RK, (and very jealous of the tofifififiee, lurve them);) Enjoy your enforced rest, you'll be back pounding the pavements shortly!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So far this week Ive eaten a 1kilo bar of whole nut, and two mega bags of malteasers, a cherry cheesecake and assorted crisps and junk. So dont feel bad, theres something in the air giving us all the munchies.

I hope that your problems will turn out to be simple to sort, and you get back into your running asap. And you will find youll come back strong after a rest, usually, (thats why marathoners taper isnt it?) so dont stress.

Oryx wrote: »
    So far this week Ive eaten a 1kilo bar of whole nut, and two mega bags of malteasers, a cherry cheesecake and assorted crisps and junk. So dont feel bad, theres something in the air giving us all the munchies.
    Well there's a ridiculous amount of chocolate in the shops at the moment, silly Mother's Day and Easter! It's not my fault I have sweet feckall willpower in the face of delicious goodies...

Meh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pfft you're ill, injured and stressed you're ALLOWED to comfort eat :)

Just called my doctor to see what was going on... "We're still waiting on the rest of your test results, call us back on Thursday". :mad: :( :rolleyes:

father_ted_001_003_002_0011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just called my doctor to see what was going on... "We're still waiting on the rest of your test results, call us back on Thursday". :mad: :( :rolleyes:

ugh. I'm sure every day feels like a week at this stage :(

littlebug wrote: »
    ugh. I'm sure every day feels like a week at this stage :(

It really does, I'm really itching for a good run at this stage. I really hope I can get back on the road this week, there are some serious cobwebs that need to be blown away! Worst thing is it's not even that I'm injured, no dodgy knees, shin splints, hamstring tendons or anything which could do with the rest, it's purely the wait for the test results.

I'm going to be an annoying bitch and ring them again tomorrow, I don't think non-runners really understand what this feels like.

Really hoping to be able to do the 5k in UCD on the 27th, I've registered for it. No chance of a PB really, but it'll be nice to race again. 25 minutes and I'd be as happy as a pig in the brown stuff.

So it's Thursday, I called again... they're still waiting on one result. And now I've got a cold too. FML?

Starting to think I should rename my log Constant Inactivity :mad:

Been thinking about ya and wondering if youd got back into it yet. I cant imagine what a headwreck it is. Hope you get the all clear asap and get to do that race on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Lets set up a group kirby where we can complain and moan and watch endless father ted and get fat until we are able to run again. It might shoulder the burden for both of us!!

On a serious note - chin up. What's this small dry spell compared to the rest of the year to come and the year after that and the year after that. You catch my drift.

You know, as well as i do, that when you are back out on the raods for 2, 3 days this whole episode will have been largely forgotten.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Lets set up a group kirby where we can complain and moan and watch endless father ted and get fat until we are able to run again. It might shoulder the burden for both of us!!
    Let's do it. I suggest we call the group "They've taken the roads in". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Can I join? What with my swollen, clicking knee.

Like UL Student said, it's not the miles that you run in a day or a week that count. It's the miles that you run in year :) And I don't think there's a single runner out there who isn't all too familiar with the injury-recovery-injury cycle. Sigh.

Can I join? What with my swollen, clicking knee.

Of course! Sit down and have a nice cup of tea.

One of the really infuriating things about this layoff is that I'm not injured - it's just my doctor being cautious. It'd be easier to understand if there was something that was at me every time I stepped outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Any news yet RK?

Blueskye wrote: »
    Any news yet RK?

+1
    I was wondering about you today too. I hope you're ok?
    Hopefully you'll be up and out again soon. I just passed you on the 1000 mile thread. Really.... you can't let an auld wan like me get ahead of you :pac:

• Advertisement

Still waiting to hear from my doctor, and my cold has now been dragging on for a week too and is just lingering. It's very frustrating. Tbh I think I can really forget about good performances in any spring races at this stage, and just concentrate on getting properly back up to full fitness by the time DCM training starts.

ugh that's horribly frustrating RK. Take time to get over the cold anyway. I had about 5-6 weeks out last year and thought I would be back to taking walking breaks but I wasn't . Yes I had lost some fitness and I was a lot slower but it came back. You can make decisions on races when you start back again and see how you feel. You might be right back up to speed in a couple of weeks. (only joking about the 1000 mile thing btw... I know you'll pass me again in no time;))

Well... good news at last :D

As of this evening, I can run again :D:D:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately due to a need to get some college work done this evening (and some rather uncooperative weather, it's absolutely pissing rain here), the run is going to have to wait until tomorrow morning, but still... YAY!!!

My doctor said that all my tests showed up normal, so the faint while running was really "just one of those things" that can't be explained. He also said to take it relatively easy with getting back into running, to start with about 12-15 mpw and slowly build during April back to where I was. In terms of racing, he's suggested that I don't target a time in any races until May - so that basically means that there's no real point in me doing the Great Ireland Run. I'm registered for the Rás UCD on Saturday, but I'm just going to run it fairly easy.

Happy and relieved kirby is happy. :) <(^_^)>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to hear it RK:) Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great news RK, you must be relieved to be getting back out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great news, you'll be back to full pace in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RK, just catching up on your log now, thats great news. had a stress test done myself recently which is bit weird as i had palpitations and breathing problems. great that everything is clear

Glad you got the all clear RK. Was concerned. Im entered in the great run but have WAR the day before, so if Im there, Im plodding. We could always plod together and chew the fat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

That's a relief. Welcome back. :)

Advertisement