Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

LargerBowl that is a FANTASTIC time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done RK excellent time. I know its disappointing not to go sub40 but you know now that you can definately do it in the next race. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play to you RK, great time, sub 40 next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Sub - 40 at the race series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

stmochtas wrote: »
    Sub - 40 at the race series.

Fingers crossed! :)

Ah well, onwards and upwards. Hopefully sub-24 for 5k in March (at the St Patrick's Festival 5k) and if I could find a 10k less crowded than the Great Ireland run I'd have a crack at that too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

**Shameful promotion**

~ BHAA Intel 10k and BHAA RTE 5 Mile in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

RK, great time there. I sometimes lie awake at night dreaming of times like that. That last mile certainly takes it out of you.

Best of luck for the next attempt.

See you on 14th March...

So, back to the grind. Legs were heavy as hell tonight after yesterday's efforts so I kept it short and slow. 4 miles @ 9.40/mile average pace. Rest day tomorrow because I'm in college from 12-8.30 and won't get home until after 10. Feckin' Dublin Bus.

Well I seem to have proved to myself just how much of an arse I made of the race on Sunday. Did 6 miles @ 8.29/mile average pace this evening and felt pretty good. It felt pretty hard and fast, but good. There is NO WAY that my race pace for 5 miles should only be 27 seconds per mile faster than that. Ugh. (On the good side, it probably hints fairly strongly that there's a decent spring 10k to come...)

I think I need to start doing more (and by more I mean actually doing some) speedwork. This may involve intervals at the Belfield track. I need to get more used to running at a decent pace, I'm far too one-paced really.

10 @ 8.58/mile average pace, that was bloody hard. Almost quit after 6, but decided I'd be a huge pussy if I did so decided to keep going.

I probably need to run my long runs a bit slower... /thinks back to running her DCM training long runs at almost 11 minute mile pace!

• Advertisement

4 miles today, 8.48/mile average pace. Just wanted to squeeze in a quick one before I head into town to meet up with friends. Legs a little tired after yesterday, I'll try and take it a bit slower tomorrow. Wore my new shoes today for the first time - my knees were giving me the batsignal yesterday that it was time to switch. It's a third pair of the same shoes (Kayano 15s), and oddly enough my first perception was of weight. I think once these ones are worn out I'm going to try and change shoes, especially because I'm not overly fond of the Kayano 16.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your pace is stunning at the mo, well done RK! (youll always be RK :))

Oryx wrote: »
    Your pace is stunning at the mo, well done RK! (youll always be RK :))

I'll be RK again when I *finally* get my accounts merged! Getting very sick of waiting, tbh.

Had to practically kick my own arse out the door today, I felt that unmotivated this morning. Glad I did though, 6 miles @ 8.40/mile average pace and it felt pretty damn good once I got moving :)

30 miles for the week, feeling pretty damn good about that. Nice start to February :D

4 miles this evening, average pace 9.00/mile. Nothing really out of the ordinary to report, apart from the fat bastard who was trying to edge me into traffic on the M50 bridge.

Rest day tomorrow, haven't had one of those since Thursday!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Firstly - yay for having my account back :)

6 miles this evening, average pace 8.35/mile. Felt tired for the first 3 miles but then settled into it and enjoyed it from there.

Trying to convince myself to bring running gear to college and do an interval session on the track one of these days... my first lecture isn't until 2 tomorrow, but my bed is very posessive and doesn't like to let me leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Have you tried a tempo type session for getting some pace into your legs. Pick a 3 mile loop. Start easy and slowly increase your pace until your running close to your 10k pace for mile 2 and then begin to slow for the last mile. This is a good, and fairly safe, way to introduce pace to your training without the formal track training.

@Gerard: Not yet. Might try one at the weekend though. :)

5 miles this evening (8.54/mile average pace). Note to self: a pain au chocolat just before you go for a run is not a good idea! Spent the whole run wishing I'd just finished off the contents of my water bottle instead. :mad:

I'd been thinking last night about doing the Cupid's Dash today, but through a combination of a crap night's sleep and reluctance to pay 30 lids for a 10k I decided to just turn over in the bed this morning.

Pity I didn't really... there was a 10k PB there for the taking. Did 5 miles this afternoon @ 8.24/mile average - which probably hints at a 52 minute 10k (or slightly faster under race conditions), a PB by about 2 minutes. Meh. We'll see what happens at the Great Ireland Run, though that's not optimal for a 10k PB given the crowds.

Will get out for a long run tomorrow, probably 10-12 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

We'll see what happens at the Great Ireland Run, though that's not optimal for a 10k PB given the crowds.

Of course it is! You just gotta be a bit more greedy and get a bit up nearer the front ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Of course it is! You just gotta be a bit more greedy and get a bit up nearer the front ;)

I should probably stop being so honest about where I start races, last year I spent the first 2km of the GIR dodging walkers despite starting in the 55-60 minute pen... I finished in 58 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I should probably stop being so honest about where I start races

Honest? I think you are being dishonest on yourself by starting so far back.....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Honest? I think you are being dishonest on yourself by starting so far back.....

I'll have to test that out at the 5k next month... hoping to go sub-24, preferably closer to 23.30, really could do without getting held up at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'll have to test that out at the 5k next month... hoping to go sub-24, preferably closer to 23.30, really could do without getting held up at the start.
    Or you could try a race like today (Cupid) or Sportsworld 5m. Smaller fields, less of the big race atmosphere but a pleasure to run.

aero2k wrote: »
    Or you could try a race like today (Cupid) or Sportsworld 5m. Smaller fields, less of the big race atmosphere but a pleasure to run.

I'm actually considering doing the Sportsworld 5 miler. I've got unfinished business over that distance after Raheny. Those 13 seconds need to be crushed! :pac::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'm actually considering doing the Sportsworld 5 miler. I've got unfinished business over that distance after Raheny. Those 13 seconds need to be crushed! :pac::mad:
    The Sportsworld is a great race - I reckon it's a similar level of difficulty to Raheny. I've no doubt you'll obliterate the 13 secs, you've a great track record of sustained progress.

So I meant to get out for an LSR yesterday, but felt like absolute crap for most of the day so it didn't happen. I ended up doing a core strength workout at about 11pm last night while waiting for Winter Olympics coverage to come back on and I think that's left me sorer than a 10-12 mile run would have!

Either way, 4 miles this evening, 8.48/mile average pace, wish I'd had time to go longer, but because the water was being cut off at 8pm I really didn't have time to stay out for longer if I wanted to get a shower after my run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

My god is your water still being turned off at night? That would drive me totally mad!

It's being turned off at night about once a week at the moment. I'm getting extremely annoyed with SDCC at the moment, even their own graph suggests that it's unnecessary because average consumption is below what they were able to supply last year without any problems.

Someone's making money from this somewhere, and doesn't want to get off the gravy train.

• Advertisement

6 miles this evening, 8.59/mile average pace. Felt tired, and had some weird nose congestion which felt impervious to snot-rocketing. Down with that sort of thing.

Advertisement