Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Of all the ways to spend a Friday, I was being computer bitch at a women's studies conference in UCD today... on my feet all day, and decided to run home afterwards. 6.5 miles @ 9.30/mile pace (I run quite awkwardly with my backpack, and it slows me down), and at the end it was a race against time to make it in the door by 8 so I could have a shower before our water was turned off.

Worth it in the end though, because right now I'm lashing into yesterday's chili and it's really good in a garlic and coriander wrap. Will do some planks later while watching the Winter Olympics to fulfil the core strength requirement of the Lent pledge, and will start my financial maths problem set (due Monday) too to fulfil the other requirement!

Have also just realised that I may end up having to scratch the 5k next month... it's on 14 March, my friend is getting married on the 12th and there's a party for my parents' 25th anniversary on the 13th! The wait for Kirby's First Non-**** Race Of 2010 continues...

I totally haven't been sleeping enough lately...and I think I'm crashing today because of it. I'm absolutely knackered after a 4-miler (8.35/mile pace) and I'm tempted to nap after my shower. Annoying because I wanted to get some work done today...

6 miles today, 8.55/mile average pace. Didn't really have the time for an LSR today, had a lot of college work to do and it's my sister's birthday so just wanted to get out for whatever I could. 26.5 miles this week, Lenten pledge still alive but mileage is a little disappointing because I really should be in the 30s.

Some kid almost deliberately crashed into me on a road bike after 5 miles (why the **** he was on the path on one was a whole other matter), let's just say I pretty much turned the air blue.

Reasons why kirby hates children ++.

4 miles this evening (9.10/mile average pace). Felt pretty bleugh, but I'd had a feed of leftover birthday cake not too long before I went out so that probably explains things a bit.

Have a crapload of work to do this week too :mad:

• Advertisement

Haven't run since Monday. After my run then, my left knee was niggling at me a bit, so I decided to give it a couple of days off just to make sure it's alright. Meant to run tonight, but have a bastard of a headache :mad:

Will get out tomorrow and hopefully everything will be ok. *fingers crossed*

Ugh. FAIL. Headed out for a planned 6 miles today, but started feeling like absolute crap after about 2 miles. Ended up taking a shortcut through the estates after 5 miles because I just wanted to get home.

Frustrating as all hell. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh ****!! Are you in danger of completing your lenten pledge? You might be going to hell!! :eek: :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youre very :mad: these days, so you seem to be going through a 'Im crap at this phase'. Except youre not. You are making me feel like Im standing still, and your times are flying. So chin up. One bout of binge eating birthday cake does not a non-runner make. :D

Oryx wrote: »
    Youre very :mad: these days, so you seem to be going through a 'Im crap at this phase'. Except youre not. You are making me feel like Im standing still, and your times are flying. So chin up. One bout of binge eating birthday cake does not a non-runner make. :D

I think it's just a bad week really, I know it just happens from time to time but it's still annoying when it does.

Think the Lenten pledge is going to be broken this weekend, I'll be lucky if I hit 20 miles for the week tbh. Just not feeling the love at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RK it's a tough time of year for students with work piling up and exams just over the horizon. The more you have to do the harder it is to do any of it. I know mine seem to be dropping out in droves at the minute :(
    It's hard to keep it all going I think. Look at how much you've improved RK- you said yourself it's not that long ago that you were doing 11 min/mile lsrs and look at you now! Don't beat yourself up for having a low week.

Didn't run yesterday, but got out for 4 miles today (8.54/mile average pace). Wasn't as bad as Friday, but the perceived effort felt very high for what is a very regular distance and pace for me. *shrug*

Tucking into strawberry jelly with strawberries now, so all is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Didn't run yesterday, but got out for 4 miles today (8.54/mile average pace). Wasn't as bad as Friday, but the perceived effort felt very high for what is a very regular distance and pace for me. *shrug*

Tucking into strawberry jelly with strawberries now, so all is good :)

Rainbow, As a long time lurker here I always liked you log for the ability to bounce back when things got rough - I can relate much better then to the guys who throw in a 20 miler over lunch time if they skip coffee. So you've battled through before - inspire us again :)

Well after being all productive and stuff and getting my stats programming assignment done this evening I decided to treat myself to a short, easy run. Set out for 4 miles... after 1.5 I came crashing to earth. Landed relatively hard on my right knee and somehow managed to take all the skin off my knee, but not rip my tights (wtf?). Looked around afterwards and didn't see anything that I could have tripped on, so that means I either tripped over my own feet (highly unlikely) or fainted (I sincerly bloody hope not, but it's a distinct possibility because I felt really dizzy when I stood up and feel horribly drained now...). De Mammy is now nagging me to go to the doctor, I wonder if I should...

, I wonder if I should...

Poor Rainbow :( but yes you should. You know you've been out of sorts and if you think you might have fainted you should definitely get checked out. It can't do you any harm anyway.
    Look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

+1 on what littlebug says- take care of yourself RK

Hope you're ok. get yourself to a GP for sure, you'd know if you tripped over something (or your own legs for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hey Rainbow, hope you are feeling ok girl...not a nice feeling to find yourself hitting the floor like that! To be honest there is no point in hanging around wondering if you should go to GP, you have a lot of stuff on with college and everything so better to get check up now rather than let yourself get more sick or run down

Gonna head to the student health service tomorrow and see when I can get an appointment. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long...

Hopefully I don't have to wait too long...
    Famous last words. Got there at 1.30 and got out at 4.20. Ouch.

Either way - the bad news? I'm off running until 11 March. :mad::(

The really bad news? I have to go to St Vincent's for a round of tests. This is not gonna be fun. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

11th March isn't too long away, only 9 days...but I know it's frustrating being told you can't run when you want to. Hope it all turns out ok.

Ugh :( But look.. by the sounds of your reports of the past week you could do with resting for a few days. 9 days isn't really long at all in the grand scheme of things. Better to be safe and get checked out than sorry and you'll be back to your former glory in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Have also just realised that I may end up having to scratch the 5k next month... it's on 14 March, my friend is getting married on the 12th and there's a party for my parents' 25th anniversary on the 13th! The wait for Kirby's First Non-**** Race Of 2010 continues...

Just reading through your training log. I'm sorry you are not feeling too well hope all turns out good for you.

I also have a wedding to go to on the 12th. In Clare, is it the same one you are going to!!!???!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Sorry to hear the news RK but you were right to get it checked out. They'll give you a good check-up which is no harm.

baza1976 wrote: »
    I also have a wedding to go to on the 12th. In Clare, is it the same one you are going to!!!???!!
    Nope, this one's in Meath.

Well, I'm still in running jail. Went to Vincent's for the tests ordered by the doctor on Thursday, and got told to come back yesterday morning for one they couldn't fit in on Thursday. Have to go back to them on Monday morning for a stress test and then back to my doctor in UCD on Thursday. No running until Thursday anyway.

My knee is still quite badly bruised from the fall and still a little bit swollen. Still quite badly grazed too. It's not a pretty sight, and it means I'm probably going to have to go get some new tights to wear with my skirt suit for the wedding because I won't be able to wear the sheer ones I was planning to wear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Running lay-offs are tough, but stick with it. Fitness doesn't fall away as much as you fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Aw RK, that royally sucks. Hope you feel better soon, good luck with the doc and hope you're back to yourself pronto.

Well I had to do the stress test thingy this morning, got a bit of a weird look for some reason from the nurse when I asked to switch to running shorts and a pair of Kayanos rather than do it in my jeans and Converse All-Stars. They've *tentatively* ok'd me to run, but suggested that I wait until Thursday until I see my doctor in UCD. Knee is still a bit gross, but the swelling and bruising has gone down a lot and the grazes are healing.

Hoping to be back running very soon, but I think I can forget about the MSB 5k on Sunday, unfortunately. No real point in doing it when I've been off my feet for nearly 2 weeks. Good luck to anyone who is doing it though, it was a lot of fun last year.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the recovery, I am just coming back from injury myself but will probably run the MSB anyway, since i have already paid for it!!

Will probably look at the UCD one as more of a good PB race, so I guess I'll see you there (can give you a lift if needed too).

Advertisement