Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

First of all, the bad news. I got on the scales today for the first time since late February. I wish I hadn't... I'm up to 68kg which means my weight is going in totally the wrong direction. Blargle. Stupid Easter and stupid running-free March. After the Great Ireland Run on Sunday, I'm going on a diet. Really want to get back to 63kg, which is where I was before Christmas, and hopefully down to 60kg in time for DCM.

Next, about Sunday... I have no idea really what to target. My 10k PB is 53:55, which was set at the Pearl Izumi 10k 7 months ago, when I was in the middle of DCM training. Ideally, I'd have been shooting for the sub-50 at this stage, but 2010 has been one giant clusterfudge after another for my running and I really don't have enough miles in my legs for that. It's also only 3 weeks since I was cleared to get back running. I think target any PB (anything inside 8.40/mile pace) as a primary goal, with sub-52 as a "this would be really sweet" goal. As I said, I really haven't been able to put the work in for a really good 10k now, so the sub-50 can wait for the Women's Mini-Marathon (I *did* get a runner number, thankfully) or my home race - the Pearl Izumi 10k, or possibly I should give the FrontRunners a bit of support and do the Parkwest 10k in July!

So yeah. Back to tonight. Took a bit of effort to boot myself out the door as I was totally full of lasagne and garlic bread from earlier, but was glad I did when I went out. 6 miles @ 8.45/mile average pace. This makes kirby happy. 4-5 miles on Friday and that's it before the GIR...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Dude! You are running stellar times at the moment of which I am seriously jealous so please, please don't obsess about the scales. Obviously whatever you are eating is working just fine and I'll bet if you're anything like me you now have absolutely bulging quads and calves which have to have a bit of heft. :)

Yup, I'm totally getting that with the quads and calves, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a decent pair of skinny jeans at the moment! I think it's time to accept that I'm better off with bootcut and kickflare jeans because they just skim over my big muscly calves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Same here. I haven't managed to lose the winter weight at all despite the extra miles :( What's 5kg in old money? I'd like to lose 5-7 lbs to be where I was at last summer. I have been eating a lot of crap though:o

5kg is about 10lbs. *blush* I'm currently about 2-3lbs heavier than I was at DCM last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are you gonna do the Sportsworld 5 mile in the end or not? There are sooooo many races coming up. I will have to do that fronrunner one in parkwest aswell. I am moving back to my appartment in parkwest at the end of the month and this will be literally starting on my doorstep. Not doing it would be like you missing the Peal Izumi.... so there's that, the adidas series (the 5 mile is the week before parkwest) the Great Ireland run, the leixlip 5k, the Sportsworld, the dushauglin 10k (heard it's great) the Rathfarnham 5k and the Pearl Izumi!!!

Not sure If I will have time to train for DCM this year (though I secretly really want to) but there won't be much need for speed work with all this racing anyway.

Sorry for rambling, congarts on the modship.

Yeah I'm probably going to do the Sportsworld one, I realised just there that it's the weekend after I finish my exams so it'll be useful for blasting out all the study cobwebs! I've also got unfinished business over the 5-mile distance after Raheny.

Main goal for me this year is a sub-4 DCM, but that doesn't mean I can't do a bit of shorter stuff along the way...

Oh you're a mod! Congrats. No better level headed, fair minded woman for the job!

2-3lbs you'll lose in a good week. I just am not a big salad fan but I'm afraid it's the way to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

congrats on getting mod!

Good luck with losing weight!

I'm still amazed at the pace you can run those miles! :)

Well first off...
    RK, Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Race Series, your race series number is 501.

You have entered Irish Runner 5 mile, Frank Duffy 10 mile & Adidas Dublin Half Marathon.

RK, Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon, your marathon race number is 11413.

Necessary business ;)

Anyway, back to this evening. 4 miles with 4 short strides was the order of the day. 8.34/mile average pace overall, and it felt feckin' great. :)

• Advertisement

Great Ireland Run: 53:03 chip time, too drunk for a full race report. PB anyway \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well done :D Enjoy the beers!

Great Ireland Run: 53:03 chip time, too drunk for a full race report. PB anyway \o/

Sober now (yes RQ, I am a lightweight). Race report time. :cool:

I wasn't expecting anything great from this, given that it's only just over 3 weeks since I was cleared to run again. Also, my longest run since then was 6 miles, so I knew the end of the race would hurt. With all of that in mind, I'd have been happy with pretty much any decent finish.

Decided to start from roughly the middle of the 45-55min pen. This meant that about the first 3km was extremely congested (it took just over 4 minutes to cross the startline, and almost came to a dead stop just at the roundabout). Decided to try and go off at about 5.00-5.15/km pace and see what happened - the congestion meant that my pace was towards the upper end of that at first. There was an awful lot of people cutting a corner between 2 and 3km too, I'm surprised it wasn't marshaled. Hit 5km in about 25.30. At that stage the hills started. Normally I like to drive a bit on the hills during a race, because I like the feeling of passing loads of people, but the crowds made this difficult and I really didn't quite have it in the legs anyway. 6-9km were pretty brutal on the legs, but tried to pick it up a bit anyway at the end. I honestly think the last km was either short or I did it faster than I thought, because I *think* my last km split was 4.45 which is basically 5k race pace for me.

Chip time 53:03. PB by 52 seconds, and another step along the way to a sub-50 10k. Hopefully sub-52 at the Women's Mini-Marathon which is a flatter course in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done RK, great time. I noticed the corner cutting between 2 and 3 as well, it was a fair whack they took off it! And then of course the people on the grass had to get back on the road, which only made the congestion worse... Anyway, glad you had a good one after your enforced break.

Probably should have run on Monday, but I really didn't trust my stomach to behave itself. Didn't get to run yesterday either due to being in college until quite late in the evening, so today's run was my first one post-GIR. Definitely still feeling the after-effects of Sunday in my legs, so I tried to take it as easy as possible. Took me about 2-3 miles to really settle into my run today, but it was grand after that. 5 miles @ 9.18/mile average pace.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nice running RK, sounds like its going well for you. I missed the Great Run owing to not being able to walk till yesterday. :)

Ah well, can't do everything! WAR sounded amazing, would love to do something like that at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey Rk, just got round to reading your report on Sunday. Well done on a new PB. Your constant improvements are very very impressive.

Did 6 miles today (9.08/mile average pace). Pretty crap run, legs felt heavy and never really felt settled. Meh.

Also got left for dust by a woman older than my mum who was absolutely flying up the Firhouse Road... :pac:

4 miles today (8.54/mile average pace), felt much better than I did yesterday, probably helped that it was breezier and cooler. Still got hints of last Sunday in my hamstrings though.

Turns out the weight situation wasn't as bad as first thought, 2kg of what I thought I put on was water weight and is now gone. :D 66kg - could do with dropping quite a decent chunk of that though, gonna keep a closer eye on my diet over the next while.

Also, reading Xebec's race report from the K Club 10k, I kinda wish I'd waited a week and just raced today, I really should be running faster than 53 minutes for a 10k. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

RK, you're a mod, bloody hell, no better woman, congrats

Reading week before exams - let the runcrastination begin! :pac:

8 miles today in 1:13:42 (9.12/mile average pace), tried to keep it as relaxed as possible. Nice run, apart from the fact that the shop I'd been planning to buy a bottle of water from after about 5 miles had a "Back in 5 minutes" sign up :mad:

Longest run since I was cleared to run again, got a bit of sun on my face, got to listen to a decent chunk of Rush In Rio - more of this please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

Reading week before exams - let the runcrastination begin! :pac:
    That's a great new word!

Yet more procrastinatory running this afternoon, 5 miles @ 9.00/mile average pace. Felt pretty good, if a little tired after yesterday's efforts. Gonna go for a swim tomorrow, haven't been in the pool in way too long! I'm not a particularly good swimmer, I usually do about 60 lengths in a 45 minute session, but I do quite like the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks for the message on my log. I'm so happy with myself!

How did the swim go today? I love being in the water too but its ages since I've gone swimming.

Exams next week? Lots of running next week then:D I remember procrastinatory (may have made that word up) trips to Easons because I needed new pens... then I'd bump into friends and it would be rude not to go for coffee with them and then suddenly the study day was over! Thank goodness I'm well away from that now. Well sort of... I've a pile of exam scripts on my desk waiting to be marked :pac:

dolliemix wrote: »
    How did the swim go today? I love being in the water too but its ages since I've gone swimming.
    Went pretty well, apart from the fact that the chlorine irritates the hell out of my nose so it's a bit runny now! Discovered that my size 14 swimsuit from last year is too big on me and that I could do with a new one, it felt grand before I got in the water but once it got wet it was really loose. Did about 60 lengths anyway.

I'd love to get some proper swim coaching at some stage, I know my technique is terrible but I'd love to improve.

I'd love to get some proper swim coaching at some stage, I know my technique is terrible but I'd love to improve.

Ahem... I could easily see you moving into tris when this years DCM is done and dusted. A new challenge? ;)

Maybe... I'd love to do a tri at some stage, but the equipment cost is a bit prohibitive at the moment. I haven't been on a bike in 11 years though, and the thought of how quickly I'd mangle a road bike is a bit scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

i hear ya on the cost. i gots an entry level bike and itl have me broke for a looooong time :(.

*scuffles off to buy lotto ticket*

Advertisement