Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Assuming I can survive the Family Drinkfest 2009 tonight (extended family getting hammered together in my granny's house, combined with my little cousin's 18th birthday, ugh), the plan is to get out for 10-12 tomorrow weather permitting. I need a good long run at this stage, I've only had one double digit run since DCM...

Well the planned 10-12 turned into 6, due to sleeping way too late and having to help De Mammy with some cooking (she's got friends coming over tonight) and with making her new Sony Reader actually work. Threw in some strides for the hell of it, ended up with an overall 8.48/mile average pace which I'm pretty happy with considering I've done virtually nothing but eat for the last few days.

Only 21 miles for the week though, which is a bit crap considering I kinda wanted to do about 30-35 this week. New Year's resolution: HTFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play RK for getting out after the drinkfest! I got one of those Sony readers as well, not too sure if I like it though..think I like proper books...

Shoe shopping is giving me a huge pain in the face. Have been to about 10 different shops now and Kayano 15's in my size seem to have disappeared off the face of the planet. Was especially gutted because they are only €63 in JJB in Tallaght at the moment but they only had a size 6 left :mad::(

I'm reluctant to go for the newer ones because of price, and because they look like ****.

Finally got out today for my first run of the week. It seriously burns that it took until Thursday - stupid effing weather! Did 5 miles today (8.48/mile average pace), my legs don't appear to be too impressed with me taking a few days off.

Bit of a kick in the pants though to be .3 of a mile away from hitting 950 miles for the year, will a run for the bus later fill in the difference? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

just run around the house like an eejit for a few minutes and you'll get there. (just ignore the men in white coats)

Well I've had it up to my fooking eyeballs with this weather. It's still far too icy to run around my area, and there's currently only the 75 bus going in and out of my area to take me somewhere else to run (I can't drive). Discovered yesterday though that the gym at the Meadowbrook pool in Ballinteer is pay-as-you-go, so might head over tomorrow to try and break my duck for 2010. Also, Man U's disgraceful display today is NOT helping my rage.

*kirby smash*

Btw - anyone know what conditions in Bushy Park are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Btw - anyone know what conditions in Bushy Park are like?
    Paths still icy but I saw a few doing laps of the field on the grass, seem alright. Or the paths in the woods are find.

2010 duck FINALLY broken. 5 miles on the treadmill at the gym (9.03/mile average pace). Much tougher mentally than it was on the legs.

Felt like a cruel irony when my shorts arrived from Wiggle this morning...

Got out today \o/

4 miles through soft snow along the Dodder, ~11 min/mile pace but tbh that's not really important. If it's safe to run there tomorrow I'm taking a camera.

• Advertisement

5.5 miles untimed in the snow, took the camera, but the battery ran out after about 1km! :mad:

Snow running seems to be very hard on my hamstrings, feeling like I need a good stretchout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

5.5 miles untimed in the snow, took the camera, but the battery ran out after about 1km! :mad:

Snow running seems to be very hard on my hamstrings, feeling like I need a good stretchout.

Yeah, same here. It is I suppose it's the equivalent of running on sand, but I guess anything that makes it tougher will be good for us in the long run. It should help improve legs strength and when we get back to tarmac we should be flying :pac:

6 miles this afternoon (9.05/mile), pretty much dancing between paths, grass verges and bus lanes because the level of thaw going on seems to be very variable. Good to be able to get out again, I for one welcome the Atlantic influence on the weather with open arms! Felt a bit flat though, the lack of training seems to be showing, and I feel every ounce that I've put on over Christmas.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

6 miles this afternoon (9.05/mile), pretty much dancing between paths, grass verges and bus lanes because the level of thaw going on seems to be very variable. Good to be able to get out again, I for one welcome the Atlantic influence on the weather with open arms! Felt a bit flat though, the lack of training seems to be showing, and I feel every ounce that I've put on over Christmas.
    Your time doesnt reflect a lack of training... but I know what you mean, it can take one or two good runs to get the 'bounce' back in your legs. Im trying to loose the xmas pudding padding too. Youre not alone!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

I feel every ounce that I've put on over Christmas.

Wish I could measure my Christmas weight-gain in ounces rather than pounds!:p

messed_up wrote: »
    Wish I could measure my Christmas weight-gain in ounces rather than pounds!:p

Well the Christmas weight gain turned out to be about 4lbs... or 64oz :pac:

Got out for 4 miles this afternoon (8.48/mile average pace). Weather's much better today than it has been, I wore shorts today and felt quite comfortable!

Seriously pissed off at how much training I missed over the holidays though, dipping under a 9 min/mile pace feels considerably harder now than it did a month ago. Doesn't bode well for hitting my target at the Raheny 5 in 2 weeks time, I had wanted to go under 40 minutes but I don't see that happening at all now. I'm only on 24.5 miles in the 1000 mile challenge too, I had wanted to be on 50-70 miles at this stage. Argh. NERDRAGE.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

But youre doing a social service in making me feel better about my slowdown/lack of running. :D

6 miles this afternoon (9.05/mile average pace), that was crap. Felt rotten the whole way around, I think I'm coming down with something. Especially annoying because I planned on doing 10 miles. :mad:

First day of term today - I have one class, at 4pm. This suits me in terms of getting out for a run while it's lovely and sunny! Just did 4 miles (9.04/mile average pace), didn't feel anything like as crap as I did yesterday thankfully. Still don't feel fully back to normal, but after a month of broken training and eating badly I think that's to be expected.

In future, I may make Monday into a speed day, heading out to the track at Belfield and doing some interval stuff. That'd suit if I'm spending most of the day in the library, and I may make Friday LSR day because I appear to have a 4-day week this semester. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Using my temporary a/c to update my log... 6 miles @ 8.30/mile pace this afternoon. Fecking great run.

Contemplating doing the BHAA XC race in the morning - would it be suicide to do it in a pair of old Kayanos?

Also, in case anyone's wondering where the username came from:

• Advertisement

5 miles this morning (8.40/mile average pace). Had been thinking about doing the BHAA XC race this morning, but the lure of my bed won out in the end. Yes, I'm lazy.

Will hopefully get out for something long and slow tomorrow - pondering something in the 10-12 mile range, it's been quite a while since I've had a good long run. Raheny 5 in 8 days, 40 minutes is still looking hopelessly optimistic, but I'll give it a go!

Also, GODDAMNIT I WANT MY NORMAL ACCOUNT BACK! This sucks not having my several thousand subbed threads :(

Well that was pretty sweet. 10 miles this afternoon, felt great after 8 so decided to kick up the pace a bit for the last couple of miles because I don't really have the time to stretch it out to a 12-13 miler. Last 2 mile splits were 8.30 and 8.20, for an overall 8.59/mile average pace. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I've always thought (and I think said a few times) that you are faster than you give yourself credit for. Couple of cracking runs lately, a bit of self belief in your potential and you'll surprise a few people this year, I reckon.

Headed out for 4 miles when I got home from college, intended on taking it relatively easy. After 1 mile, a bloke in a Meath football jersey gave me a look like he wanted to race. Not wanting to let the blue side down, I nodded back. Stretched out the legs a bit and eased past him, while looking like i was putting in considerably less effort (more to the point, he looked like he was dying after about 100m). Decided I was comfortable at the pace I was at, so kept it up for the rest of the run. 8.48/mile average pace overall, pretty good for a Monday evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wow nice running of late there!! If you still want a lift up to Raheny on sunday, drop me a PM. I just realised the good news that the race doesn't kick off until 3pm. Delighted with that :D

Wow, you take a rest day and you're down to page 4! :eek:

6 very pleasant miles this evening (8.54/mile average pace), nice evening for it and even better to be able to sit down to a huge bowl of meatballs and couscous in a tomato and veg sauce :)

Debating whether to drag my fat ass out of the bed early tomorrow and do my long run (which would be 10 miles - about 90-95 minutes), or whether to just do a normal run (probably 6-7 miles) tomorrow... with Sunday in mind, I'm not sure which would be better!

Debating whether to drag my fat ass out of the bed early tomorrow and do my long run (which would be 10 miles - about 90-95 minutes), or whether to just do a normal run (probably 6-7 miles) tomorrow... with Sunday in mind, I'm not sure which would be better!

Didn't do either. Slept late this morning (which was ok, I only had one class today and it was at 2pm) and didn't get to run until about 6pm. To make sure that we actually had water at home for a shower, I kept it relatively short. 5 miles @ 8.48/mile average pace. Nice run, apart from the fact it was starting to rain at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You really are flying these days.... you're gonna hammer that pb.

Planned to run yesterday, but managed to eat myself into a meat and spuds coma at lunchtime with a carvery lunch in the Scholars so I was in no mood for doing anything! Went out for 4 easy miles (9.18/mile pace) this afternoon, lovely day for it but I think the pre-race jitters have landed in my legs because I felt a tiny niggle out of just about everything that's given me a niggle over the last few months! :eek:

Think I'll start breaking in my new shoes next week though (pair #3 of Kayano 15's), I'm still wearing the ones I wore for DCM and I think they're coming to the end of their running life for me. Curse my feet and their expensive taste and shoe-killing abilities!

• Advertisement

So... Raheny 5 today. Had been targeting this as one of my goal races for this winter and I really wanted to go sub-40. With this in mind, I was deeply unimpressed when I woke up this morning to the sniffly beginnings of a cold. :mad: Weather was pretty good for it though, cold and calm is pretty sweet running conditions.

Mistake #1: Started too far back.

I'm too honest with where I start at races, and being honest I'm a little scared to push too far forward. I think something in the back of my mind still thinks I race at 10 min/mile pace! Either way, went off at what felt like a relatively steady pace, passed a crapload of people in the first mile and went past the 1 mile mark in 7.55. Held onto that for the second mile, went through 2 miles in 15.50 so pretty consistent and again hit the third mile in 23.45.

Mistake #2: Not taking enough advantage of the nice big downhill down to the coast road. I held pace when I should have taken advantage of the downhill to let the legs run wild and free. That's probably a bit debatable though. Lost a small amount of time here, hit the 4 mile mark in 31.49. Knew at that stage it would be tight, until...

Mistake #3: I just didn't have enough in my legs to really drive up the hill at the 4 mile mark. The lack of training over the holidays really hit home here, a bit more endurance work would have really paid off. Lost quite a bit of time here, my last mile took 8.24 and brought me home in 40.13 by my watch - we'll have to wait and see what the chip time turns out to be.

TL: DR - PB, but missed a golden opportunity to go sub-40. I don't know whether to be happy or a bit gutted.

However, Man U beat Arsenal, so that soothes the pain a bit :D

Advertisement