Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Bastards Broke Into My House Last Night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

For the stuff that wasn't stolen from your house. Somebody might try to sell it on dondeal.ie.

Hm you lost me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bout 3 fiddy

They mean donedeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

tallus wrote: »
    Hm you lost me there.

It's a site where you can sell goods, kinda like adverts.ie

Don't know if the poster spelt it wrong as a joke or just typo. Website is donedeal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Hm you lost me there.

I think bookerboy was suggesting that you keep an eye on donedeal.ie to see if somebody was trying to sell the stuff stolen from your gaff not realising that nothing was taken this time (right?)
    I was trying to be funny.
    Both of us failed miserably by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

and they make extremely loyal and friendly pets

Agreed. Superb dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

boardslol.jpg

found the culprit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭MrVestek

boardslol.jpg

found the culprit;)

Dude! That's almost the exact same stuff that was stolen from his place the first time.

That's bloody creepy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

****ing hell, Tallus. I'm so sorry to hear that.
    Once is bad enough, but twice is just sickening.
    At least you're OK ... :(

If you can't afford an alarm now, I'd suggest putting away a small percentage of your earnings every week towards one. Might mean you have to cut back in other aspects of your spending, but you can't put a price on protection in your home.

I'd also recommend speaking to your neighbours on either side about looking out for each other. If you're all being affected, perhaps you could put some sort of plan in action? IE. if you're away for the weekend, you could ask your neighbour to keep an eye on your house - and vice versa?

Also, if you're leaving the house at night time, keep a light or two on. It's a simple thing, but if a burglar sees a light on, they might think you're at home and be less inclined to break in.
    I'm seriously considering getting one but to be honest it would be selfish of me to get a dog just for that one reason.

I don't think so. People get dogs or pets for plenty of reasons. Provided you're going to look after it, there's no reason why you shouldn't get one on the basis that you're looking for a bit of protection in your home.

Dogs are extremely loyal. They'll defend their home and the people they love to no end, the majority of the time. They really can be man's best friend!

As people have mentioned before, even a dog barking can alert your neighbours to a situation in your house so it's definitely something to look into.
    The worst thing about being broken into is the feeling of insecurity it leaves you with. Happened a mate of mine last year and he still says it bothers him when he's at home on his own..

Nobody should be made feel unsafe in their own home :mad: There should be mandatory and harsher sentencing for breaking and entering

+ 1 to all of that.

Personally, I think breaking in to someone's home, a place they consider to be safe, is one of the worst things you can do. It can seriously mess people up, even if they're not at home at the time of the break-in. In some cases, that feeling of fear an anxiety never leaves.

I don't think it's ever about what's been stolen from you - possessions can often be replaced. It's more so upsetting because your home, your sanctuary, has been invaded and those feeling of safety and comfort you associated with your home have been taken from you.
    I was just talking to my neighbour, who was also broken into at the same time and he told me that they had two carving knives ready and left upstairs, one in each bedroom. He reckons they were carrying them just in case they were disturbed.
    Scary tbh

That's sick. You'll never fully know what they intended to do with them as they weren't confronted, but the fact they were carrying weapons says enough.
    sunny2004 wrote: »
    If you need bars on your windows you are living in the wrong area !

Not true. Doesn't matter where you live, burglaries can happen anywhere. Often, places that are considered "good" areas have break-ins because the burglars think there'll be stuff worth stealing inside the houses.

People can need bars on their windows for protection in any area.

It can happen to anyone and it's very unfortunate when it does happen. It's horrible and incredibly traumatising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

but theirs nothing left to do but walk away,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

People can need bars on their windows for protection in any area.

Like a zoo.
    What does that tell ya.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Like a zoo.
    What does that tell ya.

That people are very concerned for their safety and protection of their home.
    It's sad that people feel compelled to do things like that, but when break-ins are happening so regularly these days, can you really blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Tallus I don't want to be playing sherlock here but if you're window was broken in such a manner and you had only left the gaff it's obviously someone who can watch your routine.
    I don't know,maybe you could set up some webcams and set a trap and catch them in the act?They might be from gaffs around yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I remember the first time someone broke into my house. I was creeped out that some stranger had come in and mad as hell they had fcuked around in my house. They had a good route around, some crystal taken, Gardai said they may come back for the cars.

Anyway, after that i was on high alert and my parents went away for a weekend a few weeks later, so the saturday night I went to bed at around 11, watching a movie, relaxing, when i hear a door opening downstairs. Being so sure I locked and checked and rechecked everything i got freaked out, so i grabbed the portable phone, and a camogie stick and headed downstairs quietly.

Get downstairs to the kitchen, see a figure moving around in the dark, and half of me being scared, the other half being really mad, i rose up the camogie stick and smaked the figure 'round the noggin. Only for him to scream like a girl and me to realise that it was my brother, coming home from his mother in laws checking in on me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

baaaa wrote: »
    Tallus I don't want to be playing sherlock here but if you're window was broken in such a manner and you had only left the gaff it's obviously someone who can watch your routine.
    I don't know,maybe you could set up some webcams and set a trap and catch them in the act?They might be from gaffs around yours?

You seem to have missed the part of his post that says that he has already been robbed, sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

but when break-ins are happening so regularly these days, can you really blame them?

Whoaaa there Paul Williams, what do you mean by regularly? Let's not go down the US route where people are petrified by the spectre of crime.

Not saying it doesn't happen just regularly seems to be overstepping based on my own experience.

i,m sure guy who robbed u knew u had tv,,,how old is tv,,,who delivered it? who has seen it,?
    has anyone been to your house,workers,builders,,,so on,,,,
    think god dam it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

boardslol.jpg

found the culprit;)
    You seem to have missed the part of his post that says that he has already been robbed, sherlock.

They always return to the scene....

You seem to know an awful lot about the crime.

Explain yourself, young man.:mad:

You seem to be an idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah shyte, sorry to hear that Tallus mate. If there's anything I can do, give me a shout.

Fcuking scumbags :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

as the victim of an armed robbery in my own house(family buisness premises) 4 years ago with my family and my brother who was only 10. That anyone who comes on here and defends them or says that there is a reson there doing it is very ignorant and naive.

So if 6 men came into your house with a weapons pointed at your mother and younger brother you would stop to consider there social background or drug problems?

These people are scumbags who regardless of what ****hole hey came out of have no care or humanity. They deserve no protection from the law or any nanny state victim who thinks they know something.

It's far more ignorant to just assume these people are born scumbags, and that there's no reason for it.

Anyway, by law you're allowed defend yourself with reasonable force when you're attacked but should retreat if you have the chance. Someone breaking into your house is considered an attack, and you're not required to retreat.

You seem to be an idiot.

Coming from the person who wants to shut the stable door as the horse bounds across the fields, I'll take your insult with a pinch of salt if it's all the same with you.

Coming from the person who wants to shut the stable door as the horse bounds across the fields, I'll take your insult with a pinch of salt if it's all the same with you.
    I wouldn't take it with any salt,you are an idiot.End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

It's far easier to let the other horses escape the same way.

When you're insulting someone else's intelligence, I feel ability to punctuate is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

End of?! Hahaha. This is AH..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Banned

Everyone else back on topic please

Not saying it doesn't happen just regularly seems to be overstepping based on my own experience.

Well,break ins and robberies are happening more frequently now due to the recession.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, I was just stating what I consider fact. Just because you personally haven't been "regularly" burgled doesn't mean it isn't happening all over the country, every given day of the week.

The recession has definitely lead to more crimes like this. People robbing other people in the hopes of selling the stuff on to get money for themselves, breaking in to their homes to look for valuable gold jewellery to sell on etc.
    It's only normal then that people should want to protect their homes perhaps more so than they did in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

So sorry to hear that happened again, tallus. PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea same sentiment as Preusse. Jesus I feel for you. If there's anything you need, I'm not that far from you.

Whoaaa there Paul Williams, what do you mean by regularly? Let's not go down the US route where people are petrified by the spectre of crime.

I'd agree with not going OTT, but it happens way too often in this country. Old report for 07 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/britain-polls-highest-in-eu-survey-of-burglary-rates-435218.html but we're next in line to the UK in this and they're the worst in europe. That was before the downturn hit too.

That said IMHO other places are worse than that report suggests. Italy and Spain for one. Look at the average suburban home in either of those countries and you see 12 foot walls and heavy gates and bars on the lower floor windows. I think it's because more people live in suburbia in both here and the UK and a suburban house is much more vulnerable than an apartment.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't get a dog just for the sake of protecting your house.

I know tons of dogs that would not bat an eyelid if someone was robbing the place!

Get an alarm with the motion sensor things:) And set it up so either you get a call/text or an operator gets informed that can call the house to check if its a false alarm or if it isn't, can call the garda. Because think about it, no one ever checks up on house alarms unless the know the house. Everyone assumes its a false alarm.
    A dog is and should be a big emotional investment, but they're a much bigger deterrent than any alarm. Like Mr.S said alarms are nearly always ignored unless you have very good proactive neighbours. As for the monitored alarms? IMHO they're equally useless. By the time the guards get notified and they respond the scum are long gone. All they seem to be good for is contacting the cops to come around and tell you "there's not a lot we can do, we're sorry".

Bars on the windows may sound like overkill but it will slow the scum down. Maybe get together with the neighbours and see about buying in bulk to reduce costs? Double glazing is often easier to bypass than old single glazing. You can pop most window panels out of the frame unless they're security frames. You can retrofit security to them though. Even the simple and cheap method of removing the panel, running a silicone bead and refitting them will slow the scum down. Get one of those floor safes and sink it in the concrete if you have any small valuables. Think in layers. Like with car security. The more layers, the more time it takes the scum and the more likely they'll move on to some other poor bastards place.

And yes these people are scum. I for one don't rate all human life as equal. These "people"? Certainly not. When scum break into a home and carry knives they give up their rights as citizens of this country and the law should reflect that. A homeowner should have the right to remove or stop them by any means at their disposal.

In an ideal world, these people would be stopped early on in their career and even helped. They would get tougher sentences for first offences and rehabilitation during those sentences. There would be more resources for the guards and the guards should concentrate more on these kind of crimes. But since this doesnt appear likely to happen any time soon...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement