Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a 4 night stay for 5 in a Lightkeepers house [COMPETITION CLOSED]

Options
  • 05-11-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this:

300dpi%20Loop%20Head%20complex.jpg

Fancy staying there for four nights with four of your friends? You could enjoy scenery like this:

CNV00030.jpg

and surroundings like this:

300dpi%20Loop%20Head%20Iighthouse%20and%20keepers%20house.jpg

We're delighted to announce that Discover Ireland have come to Boards.ie to introduce you to some of Ireland's top places to visit and experience what they have to offer, including some unusual getaway breaks and great value offers.

DI_IE_NS_N_POS_GRN.jpg

We're starting with this great competition thanks to the Irish Landmark Trust and Discover Ireland.

You could win a four night midweek stay for you and four friends at the Loop Head Lightkeepers house.

This self catering holiday home is located in Kilbaha Co Clare, and accommodates five people. You'd be arriving on a Monday, departing on a Friday and it's pretty much up to you when you take it, though the prize must be redeemed with one year of issue.

To be in with a chance of winning, just complete the following... (and post in a comment below)

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…

About the accommodation:
    (This is taken from the details they sent through)
    The spectacular Loop Head Lightkeepers House in Kilbaha, Co Clare, is built on a cliff top with 300 degree views of the sea, down to Kerry Head and Dingle, across the Shannon, and up to the Cliffs of Moher.

There is so much to see in the area, from ancient churches, stone forts, ring forts and even a cliff top folly, none of which are far from your doorstep. The surrounding coastline is breathtaking with sculpted cliffs, rock ledges and caves that are home to seabirds, seals and other maritime animals.

90_DISouthWest_ShortBeakedCommonDolphin.jpg

Nearby Carrigaholt is home to 120 bottlenose dolphins, and is also a unique habitat for a variety of sea birds. In fact the Loop Head Peninsula is renowned as one of Europe’s premier bird watching regions. Also, keep an eye out for the wild goats, hares, falcons, ravens and choughs in this beautifully remote area.

The peninsula has an island feel and offers a genuine insight of old Ireland. Cosy, warm pubs give respite from the Atlantic sea breeze and offer famous seafood chowder and local produce, which will keep you nourished after a day’s sightseeing.

There is no shortage of things to do in the area… why not brave the waters and take a surfing lesson, go snorkelling or even diving from nearby Kilkee or Lahinch? Catch your own supper on a day’s sea-fishing or go seal watching in a kayak. For those who enjoy a quieter pace of life, there is bike rental nearby and plenty of fabulous cliff walks and stormy beaches to explore. And of course you can’t leave without visiting the spectacular Cliffs of Moher.

Discount for Boards.ie members

Every boards.ie member who signs up to The Irish Landmark Trust’s online mailing list will receive a 10% discount on any bookings paid in full before 31 December 2009.

The Irish Landmark Trust is a registered charity which rescues and restores Ireland’s built heritage for future generations to enjoy. Everyone can play their part in saving these spectacular Landmarks as each property is available to rent as a self-catering holiday home.

From lighthouses and castles to city centre Mews – whether it’s a romantic weekend for two or an energetic group getaway with family or friends, the Irish Landmark Trust is a unique break away.

For more unique breaks like this, and special offers, check out http://www.discoverireland.ie/specialoffers

Terms and conditions:

No, Boards.ie isn't being paid to host this. Yes, moderators can enter. No, you don't have to bring other Boards.ie members. It'll be your prize, invite who you like ;) Winner will be chosen by Discover Ireland. Judges decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Closing date Friday 20 November. If you have any queries about the prize details, please do get in touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

How do you want the reply? in line in the thread, do all four friends have to be boardsies, can I blog about this, thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stickied for a week.

Posters, please note that this is only OK for activities/promotions sanctioned by Boards admins. Posting a event/promotion without sanction by the admins will mean the thread is deleted, see charter for details.

Anyone who wants to advertise/promote please contact boards on hello@boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Calina wrote: »
    How do you want the reply? in line in the thread, do all four friends have to be boardsies, can I blog about this, thanks?

As a comment please (I edited the post to clarify) and no the friends don't have to be Boards.ie members and yes, please do blog about it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because… this is where I proposed to the missus a few years back while a few dolphins swam by :D ... and love to go back again, spectacular setting!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…I have just been evicted from Rosslare Harbour Lighthouse recently and miss the fresh air! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it would be a wonderful setting for a get away from city life and to spend the time hanging out playing games with friends and listening to the surf pounding outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…I am sooooo in need of a break from work, but it costs me a fortune in entertainment costs when I do, and I just cant afford it these days - that and the fact that I love the sea! I think I have a bit of Hemingway in me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Damo666

I have had a hell of a day , got let go , GF dumped me and Liverpool are crap at the moment. So need to get away into the wild , get some nice memories to sooth my soul .

p.s. looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…I need to win this break, city life, the recession, my bank balance is getting me down......... Everynight I wake up from a nightmare of Brian Cowen holding me down and Brian Lenihan rifling through my pockets....:) I think my only hope to escape this recurring nightmare is a breakaway inhaling the fumes of the Atlantic Ocean at the Lightkeepers House. Also I've never been in a Lighthouse, will Nadia from American Pie be in there, like the movie.....No, damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because
    I want to go to loop head and sleep in a lighthouse keepers bed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I would love to bring my girlfriend for her birthday! She means so much to me i would love to bring her away somewhere, even though i cant afford it! She is in her thesis year in Trinity, working so very hard every day and I know she needs a break as do I! I would love to get her to myself for a few days as she is working so hard and so much I dont see her that often :( Please pick me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…How cool would it be for Mr & Mrs Loopy and all the little Loopys to live in Loop Head Lighthouse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because… the beautiful scenery might inspire/prompt (force!) my brutal boyfriend to pop the question! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because...quite frankly I deserve it. I have a chest infection which means I am coughing and spluttering more than a 10 year old Lada, and the antibiotics the doctor charged me €50 to prescribe and the pharmacist charged me €17.88 to purchase are playing hell with my stomach. Nevertheless I am a picture of contentedness, and am as keen as normal to spread joy and happiness (and a not inconsiderable amount of snot and sputum) throughout the land. I have been told that Co. Clare, specifically Loop Head is currently suffering from a lack of joy and happiness (if not snot and sputum) and therefore I am needed. Probably for around 5 days. Monday to Friday should do it. Within the next 12 months preferably. And I’m afraid of the dark so somewhere with an incredibly powerful source of light would be great. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sioux99989

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because I want to hear the Atlantic waves crash against the cliffs that protects her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…I've never been in a lighthouse before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I love the sea, I love lighthouses, I love the lightkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…i need to finish my experiments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cabinpac

It's a bright idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because I can then stand by the light and sing Chris de Burgh's "Ship to Shore" on the top of my voice without anyone looking at me as if I'm lost at sea. My friends will have no choice but to listen to me sing then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because…It's beautiful, It's wild, It's where I'm meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because I have been so down and out lately. I can't get a job despite the unbelieveable amount of effort I put in. I got refused a place on a course I really wanted and could see a future career in. I have been sick for the last two weeks and the doctor can't figure out why and my arms are black and blue from nurse taking blood samples and nearly butchering me in the process. I havn't been able to spend any quality time with my friends in so long i would genuinely be over the moon to win this competition. Without making this sound like a sob story but my closest friends mean the world to me since my dad passed away 2 years ago when I was 18. They have been an irreplaceable comfort to me since then and to win this would be a way for me to spend time with them but also a way to thank them for being there for me and being genuinely amazing friends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because… I sleep beside a busy road and think the sound of the cars going by is like the waves crashing in the sea. It would be nice to hear them for real just once as I fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

1. It's on my list of things to do before I die.
    2. I have a special interest in lighthouses caused by Five Go to Demon's Rock by Enid Blyton
    3. I will take the most fantastic photographs of it.
    4. I'll probably bring some other photographers with me.
    5. I will blog about this on a photography and personal blog
    6. it would fit in nicely with my abandoned boats project to which I've been planning to add Irish lighthouses
    7. dammit I am worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because I'm so great I think I should get both the parachutes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I don't want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because... having stayed in a few lighthouses around the coast of Ireland, they are stuck out in the middle of nowhere with only sheep and rabbits for company, it's never sunny like the pictures and lighthouses were built to withstand storms with as little comfort as practicable. Plus the pub is miles away...

Keep your fecking lighthouse keepers cottage! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Himselfe

I want to stay in Loop Head Lighthouse Keepers house because not being there makes me Loopy in the Head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 NashD

it would fulfill a huge childhood fantasy of mine, and several adulthood ones too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I want to stay in Loop Head Lighthouse Keepers house because where I grew up I could actually see this lighthouse on a fine day(from Kerry); it'd be nice to stay in/near it having spent years of my life looking at it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Wannabe!

I want to go to Clare and stay in a Loop Head Lightkeeper's House because… I'm gonna turn 30 soon - as are many of my friends - and what better way to spend it that surrounded by crashing waves with my buddies and a few glasses of champers!!! (at least then I might not hear my old bones creak...)

Advertisement