Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Hey all handed my gr2 form into my local station about a week ago just wanted to find out what happens next and how long it takes?any one else in the same boat as me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

padlad88 wrote: »
    Hey all handed my gr2 form into my local station about a week ago just wanted to find out what happens next and how long it takes?any one else in the same boat as me?

Hi There, If you read over the posts made by other people you'll see that it takes some time approx 6 -12 months to do all the security checks and all. After that you will met the super in your local and then if all is in hand you will be called for a medical in dublin HQ. If you are found fit you will be called to templemore for Phase 1 which is a weekend of getting to know you and whats in store for you, you will get alot of books, notes etc at this weekend, phase 2 is legal studies which is conducted at your local station and that is done over a few months which at the end of it you will be tested, phase 3 is again in templemore and involves physical studies and self defence, which you again are tested on. Phase 4 is on the job experience in your local station, phase 5 is passing out.Stay in there, it's all worth it in the end. I'am a reserve for the last year and it's a brill experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Well done to all that is going to Templemore on Saturday just had a minor hiccup with my gr2 form family member as ya do so now they are waiting on the person involved to send a report from their station to the park so could be in for a long wait

And i was also told that they have cut back on the recruitment drive as the money is gone tight again so they reckon it will be a while now before any more GR will be taken on

So hers hoping for the next intake but i wont be holding my breath LOL :(

Anybody up for their medical in March mine is due on the 10th so just wondering if anyone else is going ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey zone alrm glad to hear your medical is for march

Just a quick question how long did your sercuirity check take im waiting up 2 close to a year now for mine

and i applied in november 2007

everyday when i get a phone i call i hope its them ah well

• Advertisement

Hey zone alarm glad to hear your medical is for march

Just a quick question how long did your security check take im waiting up 2 close to a year now for mine

and i applied in November 2007

everyday when i get a phone i call i hope its them ah well

Hi Mate

Roughly 6 Mts from time of filling in my GR2 form to sending it off

Maybe you should give them a ring and see if they have lost your forms as i have read back here on the thread someone said they had misplaced their forms twice so it could be possible that happened to yours worth a call i would say if you are waiting this long ;)

hey zone alram

no i rang them up and they told me my backround checks are still ongoing.

Dont no how its taking so long as i sent my backround check forms in last may.

Does anybody no whats involved in the process of carrying out security checks as im puzzled as to how it could take so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

hey zone alram

Does anybody no whats involved in the process of carrying out security checks as im puzzled as to how it could take so long

Normally if you have a lots of relatives in far flung places like Oz and the Us etc it can take a long time to get processed.

hey zone alram

Yep quite true if you have people abroad this could be holding the process up as the forms for the other police in other countries could be sitting on their desk in there office waiting for them to get around to filling them in and then send them back

They could as well always have mislaid them as well but im sure since you rang up they will prob start to chase them up again

None of my family on my backround check live in scotland.

But i did put down that i lived there for over a year when i played for hamiltions accies youth team.

could this be what is taking it so long??

And also i have noticed when i ring the garda with regards to my file it is very hard to get information that is to do with my file all there alowed say is that your backround checks are still ongoing.

Would they be able to anser me if i was to enquire for them to check up on my backround check to see where the hold up is???

• Advertisement

None of my family on my background check live in Scotland.

But i did put down that i lived there for over a year when i played for hamiltions accies youth team.

could this be what is taking it so long??

And also i have noticed when i ring the Garda with regards to my file it is very hard to get information that is to do with my file all there allowed say is that your background checks are still ongoing.

Would they be able to anser me if i was to enquire for them to check up on my background check to see where the hold up is???

Its quite possible that's what is the hold up as they are checking to make sure you where not in trouble over there

But they should be able to tell you if there is a prob with your background check i would say but then again they might not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,
    In relation to the BR2 form you fill out after the initial interview and written report test, does the garda you get in the local station to sign it send the form off to Headquarters or do you send it yourself? Also do you have to sign it yourself in his prescence and hand him the refrences to send off

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads,
    In relation to the BR2 form you fill out after the initial interview and written report test, does the garda you get in the local station to sign it send the form off to Headquarters or do you send it yourself? Also do you have to sign it yourself in his prescence and hand him the refrences to send off

I guess you mean the GR2 form...

Yes, you bring the completed form to your local station and sign it in the presence of the Sergeant-in-Charge. Then the Sergeant will send the form and your references to HQ

Thanks StiofanD,

Would you have an idea as to how long roughly after I submit the form (which I will do tomorrow) that I have to go for the mediacl and station interview and also does the station interview take place in your local station?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

hows it going inner city ,ive applied for another service and my background check is still on going its goes through the department of juistice ireland and northern ireland division i,m waiting nearly 9 months now :mad: its a pain but all you can do is wait and hope it gets cleared i,ve been on numerious times just reminding them but it makes no diffrence.

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks StiofanD,

Would you have an idea as to how long roughly after I submit the form (which I will do tomorrow) that I have to go for the medical and station interview and also does the station interview take place in your local station?

Depending on your background checks and if you have family in other countries this will be the longest part of the wait

The interview will take place at your local station with the Sargent in charge that should only take about 20 min to half an hour

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Depending on your background checks and if you have family in other countries this will be the longest part of the wait

The interview will take place at your local station with the Sargent in charge that should only take about 20 min to half an hour

For me, it was about a month after submitting the form that I was called for an interview at the local station. I just had the one interview with an Inspector, but others have been interviewed by Sergeants and Superintendents, so I think it depends on the district that you are in.

After that, it was about 2 months until the medical and then phase 1 training began about 7 weeks after the medical.

Just to note that everyone has had different experiences during the application process, some went through the whole thing in 3 months, and for others it took a number of years. Either way, hang in there - it'll be worth it!

stiofanD wrote: »
    For me, it was about a month after submitting the form that I was called for an interview at the local station. I just had the one interview with an Inspector, but others have been interviewed by Sergeants and Superintendents, so I think it depends on the district that you are in.

After that, it was about 2 months until the medical and then phase 1 training began about 7 weeks after the medical.

Just to note that everyone has had different experiences during the application process, some went through the whole thing in 3 months, and for others it took a number of years. Either way, hang in there - it'll be worth it!

I wish i was in your position im waiting nearly 2 years and my backround checks are still ongoing :(

I wish i was in your position im waiting nearly 2 years and my backround checks are still ongoing :(

yep i was waiting a long time as well thought i would never get there now im nearly there just the medical to get thru

Anybody that has done the hearing test how hard is it i read some people saying that its hard to make out what is the % that fail on the hearing does anybody have any idea :confused:

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    yep i was waiting a long time as well thought i would never get there now im nearly there just the medical to get thru

Anybody that has done the hearing test how hard is it i read some people saying that its hard to make out what is the % that fail on the hearing does anybody have any idea :confused:

The hearing test is a bit tricky, and I found myself panicing a bit and imagining that I was hearing the beeps half way through. However after the test, the nurse could see quite clearly from the printout that I'd lost the run of myself half way through the test and she let me take it again. I passed it no problem second time around.

The trick is to relax and don't second guess yourself. If you hear the beep, press the button, if you don't, then don't!

• Advertisement

The hearing test is a bit tricky, and I found myself panicing a bit and imagining that I was hearing the beeps half way through. However after the test, the nurse could see quite clearly from the printout that I'd lost the run of myself half way through the test and she let me take it again. I passed it no problem second time around.

The trick is to relax and don't second guess yourself. If you hear the beep, press the button, if you don't, then don't!

Great stuff thanks for that was not sure what exactly to be listening out for now that i know i will be more relaxed hopefully lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Excellent advice StiofanD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Hi All,

I had my interview for the Reserves 2 weeks ago and just received word that I have passed that stage. I've been reading through this thread for a while.....lots of great advice that helped me prepare for the interview so thanks to all for that. Now its on to the GR form which, as has been pointed out, is pretty daunting! I just have a few quick questions about references that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. It asks to give the name of a member of AGS who I know that would be willing to support the application....problem is I dont know any members. Anyone else in this situation and how did you handle it?

2. It asks to provide a reference from my current employer....I have recently been made redundant so dont have a current employer and cant really get a personalised reference from them (a large multi-national that only gives generic references i.e. “John worked for this company for X years etc”)...any advice on what I should do for this?

3. The other reference (someone know to you for 5 years) who should this be? Would a certain type of person/age/profession be looked on better as a referee? Can you use a friend as a reference (all aged around 30 with “professional” occupations)....or would a priest/former teacher or something be better?

Thanks,
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

sf94 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had my interview for the Reserves 2 weeks ago and just received word that I have passed that stage. I've been reading through this thread for a while.....lots of great advice that helped me prepare for the interview so thanks to all for that. Now its on to the GR form which, as has been pointed out, is pretty daunting! I just have a few quick questions about references that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. It asks to give the name of a member of AGS who I know that would be willing to support the application....problem is I dont know any members. Anyone else in this situation and how did you handle it?

2. It asks to provide a reference from my current employer....I have recently been made redundant so dont have a current employer and cant really get a personalised reference from them (a large multi-national that only gives generic references i.e. “John worked for this company for X years etc”)...any advice on what I should do for this?

3. The other reference (someone know to you for 5 years) who should this be? Would a certain type of person/age/profession be looked on better as a referee? Can you use a friend as a reference (all aged around 30 with “professional” occupations)....or would a priest/former teacher or something be better?

Thanks,
    sf
    SF94 It's so long since I did my GR2 that I can scarcely remember what I put on it. In relation to knowing a Garda perhaps the Nog is best placed to answer this one for you.With regard to references ,it is best to get them from somebody who really knows you as they will be contacted later as to your character.This also applies to your Ex employer. So even if they do provide a generic reference they will be contacted and perhaps requested to expand on it . I was very lucky with my employer who gave me a glowing reference ,so much so ,that the Inspector commented on it.Best of luck with your application.

sf94 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Eh.. no it doesn't, unless the form has changed since I filled out out. I believe it asks for a reference from your current employer and from one other person who is not a member of the Guards and not related to you.
    My employer also gives out generic references so I went directly to my manager and asked him to do me a simple character reference to say that he has known me for X years and believes me to be of good character etc etc....

Absolutely you can use a friend as a reference. I asked a friend that I've known for years who is the same age as me to provide a reference. A professional person would probably be a help (my friend is an accountant)

As baton charge mentioned, the most important thing is that your referees know you personally as they probably will be contacted and asked to vouch for you.
    Thanks,
    sf

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies baton charge and stiofanD. I will get on to my last manager who should be able to give me a character reference and a friend of mine for the other reference
    Eh.. no it doesn't, unless the form has changed since I filled out out. I believe it asks for a reference from your current employer and from one other person who is not a member of the Guards and not related to you.

It must have changed....for reference section 15 there is now an a) and b) section....the a) section asks you to "Give the name and Station of any member of An Garda Síochána known to you and who would be willing to recommend your application" and then the b) section is the other references. So if anyone can recommend what I could do for this reference it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Folks,

I filled out the aforementioned form and have recived an adult caution in the past for being drunk and disorderly (this was during Christmas 2007). I hope when they contact my employer as part of the reference checks they do not mention or bring this up. I am trying to forget about it and put it to bed to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

the form must have definitly changed. i filled mine out last summer and it just asked for a reference from your employer and a reference from a friend or somebody who knows you well. my application and training has flown through and i am waiting to graduate now, i applied last April.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

DubNorth wrote: »
    I heard that the grad was being scheduled for 26 March but apparently it is now being scheduled for 23 April

Thanks DubNorth.. I've now heard the next one is May 14th..

• Advertisement

Hi All,
    Just in case anyone else reading was having the same issue as me in terms of not knowing a member of AGS to support the application.....I rang the Reserve office and was told that I can leave that section blank and print out the form and when I go to my local office ask the Sergeant who is signing the application would he be willing to put his name down and then this can be hand written on the form. Or she said you can just put down that you dont know any member (as she said not everyone applying will). I think I will go with the first option!!

Edit: Actually, maybe serving members would be able to give their opinion on this.......if asked would you put your name down as a reference for a Reserve candidate that you didn't know when signing their form?

(The more I think about it the less likely it seems that a member would put their name down without knowing me)

Advertisement