Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Jamangi001 wrote: »
    I don't have a conviction but had to pay money to the court poor box in lieu of one for some minor offence. Does anyone know if this would this come against me in applying to the garda reserve?

When you say " offences" there was more than one!! To save you cost and time maybe have a chat with a local sergeant or Super if you know them and see what they have to say. If not, just go ahead with the process and put in your BR form and wait until your background checks come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

My BR check took 1 year. I lived overseas for awhile and I have a couple of family members living overseas. I also had several addresses here in Ireland.
    However I have no siblings, partner, children and both my Mum & Dad passed away several years ago.
    From what I've read here it seems the 'typical' BR check takes between 6-9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Got my letter today after a nail biting two week wait:D.
    I was successful in the interview and now get to fill out the br form, the fun begins:D

Anyone else in the limerick interviews get theirs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Got good news - passed the interview and written test so onto the BR Form now (should be fun - big family !!) - well done to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Great to here you got it, congrats.

Ya did you get an email from public jobs? I have heard of people recieving emails before with the br form, I got none...

Ya big family myself:), so gonna get stuck into it tomorrow, and hopefully get it done within the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

No just got the letter in the post today, no email - planning on starting the BR form tomorrow as well (will hopefully get it filled out by the end of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I have a huge family 12 on my dad side and 3 on my mothers side so I reckon my BR form will take an age :rolleyes:

The thing I wanted to know is how would a family member having convicitons affect me applying? I know 1 of my dads brothers has convictions but the rest of the family have clean records :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

carzony wrote: »
    I have a huge family 12 on my dad side and 3 on my mothers side so I reckon my BR form will take an age :rolleyes:

The thing I wanted to know is how would a family member having convicitons affect me applying? I know 1 of my dads brothers has convictions but the rest of the family have clean records :D

The super told me that family are not under your control and that what they do/did is/was their choice. As long as your not in a position to be compromised!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

The super told me that family are not under your control and that what they do/did is/was their choice. As long as your not in a position to be compromised!

I thought as much :D My uncle really got into serious trouble all those years ago:rolleyes:. I suppose 1 bad apple out of 12 aint to bad :p:p

Kwacker: When will you recieve news on your application? I'm intrested to see how you get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

alright guys,, I completed my BR form and sent it off today in the local station I asked the garda if the fact I got a bad grade in foundation irish that does not met the requirements if it would ruin my chances. I have other qualifications that are very useful for the garda reserve such as a diploma in policing studies and I have a certificate in cardiac first response, however I done a course for the leaving cert called link modules, in this I sat a Spanish test and passed,, all in all I passed the link modules course for the leaving cert so I wonder if I could use this as a sub for irish. any ideas ??? or helpful thoughts cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

You don't need Irish, you need two languages one of which must be Irish or English.

want2b wrote: »
    You don't need Irish, you need two languages one of which must be Irish or English.

Cheers mate but what I mean is I have English but for my second language I did Spanish true link modules which I got a pass grade which is 50% to 65% at common level. Will this be sufficient enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

carzony wrote: »
    I thought as much :D My uncle really got into serious trouble all those years ago:rolleyes:. I suppose 1 bad apple out of 12 aint to bad :p:p

Kwacker: When will you recieve news on your application? I'm intrested to see how you get on with it.

I was told my forms went for security checks in August and it will take a minimum of 6 months but no exact time frame can be given as it may take longer. So basically they don't no ha.

I will keep up posting when I hear more updates

coolock94 wrote: »
    Cheers mate but what I mean is I have English but for my second language I did Spanish true link modules which I got a pass grade which is 50% to 65% at common level. Will this be sufficient enough ?

You can use a grade from another examination if the minister of justice says its not of a lower standard than is required in the leaving cert. So you should be ok in my opinion anyway if you got 50% to 65%.

want2b wrote: »
    You can use a grade from another examination if the minister of justice says its not of a lower standard than is required in the leaving cert. So you should be ok in my opinion anyway if you got 50% to 65%.

Thanks mate so to clarify I could use Spanish from my junior cert or even Irish from that too if needs be,, much appreciated

coolock94 wrote: »
    Thanks mate so to clarify I could use Spanish from my junior cert or even Irish from that too if needs be,, much appreciated
    Not sure about junior cert level I think it has to be leaving cert level, best thing is give HQ a call.

Advertisement