Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

gerry05 wrote: »
    Well done,had my interview and written test today I think I failed:mad: it,interview lasted about 15mins they mainly stuck to the three competencies. just feel my answers were not that good and also abit vague.

How long before they get back to you after the tests???
    Keep positive Gerry,I thought the same about mine,youll be fine:).
    Took two weeks to get the results back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Well done,had my interview and written test today I think I failed:mad: it,interview lasted about 15mins they mainly stuck to the three competencies. just feel my answers were not that good and also abit vague.

welcome gerry05, you might surprise your self you know!:) positive, positive, positive,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

THE PIPER wrote: »
    Thanks Sam,:) Will make a start at the weekend on it.Not too many people in my family so it shouldnt be to much trouble.Any idea what the story is with interview with local super,what kind of questions etc

Ah it looks worse to begin with but once you get stuck into it it really isn't that bad!

The meeting with the Superintendent will go through mainly what you were asked in your first official interview and more general questions then about your spare-time, voluntary work locally. Being honest you could end up talking about anything - depends on the Superintendent and the day itself, be prepared to be asked just about anything really.

No-one really knows when they come out for certain, it may have actually gone better than you think. :) . I received my results 5 working days after mine so this time next week you should have yours.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah it looks worse to begin with but once you get stuck into it it really isn't that bad!

The meeting with the Superintendent will go through mainly what you were asked in your first official interview and more general questions then about your spare-time, voluntary work locally. Being honest you could end up talking about anything - depends on the Superintendent and the day itself, be prepared to be asked just about anything really.
    I suppose thats what will decide the outcome,get the feeling the written test and first interview dont decide anything really

• Advertisement

I suppose thats what will decide the outcome,get the feeling the written test and first interview dont decide anything really

I really just don't know being honest. When you look at how many applicants are not successful in the reserve process it does make one wonder.

I really just don't know being honest. When you look at how many applicants are not successful in the reserve process it does make one wonder.
    Well i suppose all we can do is our best,if its meant to be it will be.
    Met a guy recently who went for interview and written test and didnt get it,so I suppose to get this far is ok,seemingly alot dont get past that stage

Well i suppose all we can do is our best,if its meant to be it will be.
    Met a guy recently who went for interview and written test and didnt get it,so I suppose to get this far is ok,seemingly alot dont get past that stage

too true Piper too true, enjoy this stage anyways for now hun :D

too true Piper too true, enjoy this stage anyways for now hun :D
    Will do sam,and the best of luck to you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

hey guys subbmitted my br form there last week gaurd didnt no too much about it and said there has been a lack of interest in applying !!!!!
    does anyone have an idea when i might get a word back /???????

• Advertisement

glhoran121 wrote: »
    hey guys subbmitted my br form there last week gaurd didnt no too much about it and said there has been a lack of interest in applying !!!!!
    does anyone have an idea when i might get a word back /???????

This is where events will be different for everyone, hard to believe, but true. I had the meetings with Sergeant & Superintendent & informed my checks were complete from my BR form all within a month. More people then are waiting longer than a month just to meet their Sergeant, so no-body knows for certain.

It's a good waiting game so it is - I think I might buy a more comfortable seat for waiting in here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

This is where events will be different for everyone, hard to believe, but true. I had the meetings with Sergeant & Superintendent & informed my checks were complete from my BR form all within a month. More people then are waiting longer than a month just to meet their Sergeant, so no-body knows for certain.

It's a good waiting game so it is - I think I might buy a more comfortable seat for waiting in here :)

Hey Kerry are you just waiting to be called for medical? You will fly it!

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Hey Kerry are you just waiting to be called for medical? You will fly it!

Hey Hun, yeah I'm just waiting on a call for the medical. Thanks for the support & optimism lucygoosy, I appreciate it :)

At the moment I can't even walk a mile with my right leg but the physio said we'll have that sorted real soon. I am looking forward to getting the medical done soon though & finally reaching the gates of Templemore :)

Looks like I'll be pulling out mè rothar for a while - been told their is to be no jogging or running for me for a week, only walking, cycling or swimming.

Did you get out about much today Piper?
    Hey Sam,just been out walking not going to go mad,build up the fitness gradualy.The bike is good exercise too,im fit enough as I am but need to improve

Hey Sam,just been out walking not going to go mad,build up the fitness gradualy.The bike is good exercise too,im fit enough as I am but need to improve

and isn't the weather just absolutely gorgeous to be out & about too. Ah we're in the same boat so with fitness, more a case of maintaining and monitoring moreso than anything else. Once you have a routine / plan that is enjoyable aswel as we could be waiting some time :( and it will keep us motivated.

The bike is good exercise alright though I am missing my long-distance running/jogging now. Hopefully the physio this week will tell me that since the swelling is now gone down in my leg I'll be able to get back into my usual routine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Finally got the BR form submitted to the local station this weekend, had to wait for a reference from a previous employer who was on holidays so took longer than I would have liked. Had a good chat with a reserve at the station who seemed to be really enjoying it and was recommending it. A full time member friend of mine is of the opinion that the background checks might be processed a little quicker at the moment due to the moratorium on recruiting full time members. Its amazing when you are a little more observant of the epaulettes how many reserves are out and about, spotted one today in the Phoenix park and one in town. Dont know how patient I will be waiting for the BR to be done but have no choice so I'll have to learn some patience!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Hi guys, I was just wondering how much notice people got for their interviews with the sergeant and superintendent, or was it a case that they were asked to arrange a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

DavidH82 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was just wondering how much notice people got for their interviews with the sergeant and superintendent, or was it a case that they were asked to arrange a time?

Well when I droped in my BR forms into the local station, The Skipper (Serg) Asked are you around next week!..for a quick meet and greet. :)

The next thing..Ask to see him when your inn with BR forms, after that depending on your station's set up, the Super interview will follow about week later or maybe the same day. Very easy stuff...:cool:

Good look... Mc J.

Well when I droped in my BR forms into the local station, The Skipper (Serg) Asked are you around next week!..for a quick meet and greet. :)

The next thing..Ask to see him when your inn with BR forms, after that depending on your station's set up, the Super interview will follow about week later or maybe the same day. Very easy stuff...:cool:

Good look... Mc J.

Hi McJakester, I have my form BR submitted already. I wasn't talking to the sergeant. The garda on the front desk took my form and signed the necessary stuff. Should I have submitted that to the sergeant?

Hi McJakester, I have my form BR submitted already. I wasn't talking to the sergeant. The garda on the front desk took my form and signed the necessary stuff. Should I have submitted that to the sergeant?

Not really, That's the way it worked out for me..I moved it along a bit quicker.

When did you drop your BR forms in?

• Advertisement

Not really, That's the way it worked out for me..I moved it along a bit quicker.

When did you drop your BR forms in?

I dropped it in on Saturday. The garda on the desk didn't seem to know what to do with it. There hasn't been many applicants from my area and with the moratorium on full time recruitment, it's not often they come across those forms anymore. He said he would drop it on the ICs desk. I'm assuming the IC is the member in charge, so that's probably the sergeant isn't it?

I dropped it in on Saturday. The garda on the desk didn't seem to know what to do with it. There hasn't been many applicants from my area and with the moratorium on full time recruitment, it's not often they come across those forms anymore. He said he would drop it on the ICs desk. I'm assuming the IC is the member in charge, so that's probably the sergeant isn't it?

Not many desk G's know what to do with BR form's handed Inn, Soo today is Tuesday, I'd call the station and arrange a visit for tomorrow or asap.... Just to keep it moving along. There is a enough people down the line to hold things up!!..:mad:If you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

Hi guys,

hope ye can help me, I'm filling in my application form for the garda reserves at the moment, i'm not too clear on some points:

In point 2, details of Third Level Education, should I list all of the subjects taken in my final exams or is it sufficient to state that I majored in English and German and now hold a 2.1 Bachelors Degree in same. There isn't a whole lot of space to work with!

I'm filling it in manually and there doesn't seem to be much space in point 3, Employment Record, to go into the details requested, as regards title of positions held, description of duties, salary etc. Should I state my hourly rate of pay and the duties I performed or is it sufficient to say I served as, for example in one case, a receptionist/clerical officer and switchboard operator?

Also, I worked the weekends during the years I was in college, is it necessary to provide my address in Galway during the college year, even though I technically was only living at home for the times I worked. Maybe in this case I'm splitting hairs I just want to get it right first time round!

Stupid question, but I understand "in date order from the top" to mean the most recent post held should be placed at the top, I just want to confirm this to avoid looking like a tool! :confused:

In point 4, relevant information in support of your application, do most people require more than 4 lines to provide this information and what should the general tone of this paragraph be? I have written plenty of cover letters to accompany my CV but I suspect this may be different. Is it right to mention sporting achievements or am I completely missing the point?

Should I post off four passport photos and four copies of my Leaving Certificate or is one of each sufficient?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I submitted my BR form about a month ago, no word on sergeants or super interview, do you need to wait for the BR check to come back before you get those interviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I submitted my BR form about a month ago, no word on sergeants or super interview, do you need to wait for the BR check to come back before you get those interviews?

no, see they just decide themselves whether they will do it before or after. like i said iv had both mine while im waiting on d form br checks to come back. its up to the super in d station u submitted it to!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

5803emma wrote: »
    Hi guys,

hope ye can help me, I'm filling in my application form for the garda reserves at the moment, i'm not too clear on some points:

In point 2, details of Third Level Education, should I list all of the subjects taken in my final exams or is it sufficient to state that I majored in English and German and now hold a 2.1 Bachelors Degree in same. There isn't a whole lot of space to work with!

I'm filling it in manually and there doesn't seem to be much space in point 3, Employment Record, to go into the details requested, as regards title of positions held, description of duties, salary etc. Should I state my hourly rate of pay and the duties I performed or is it sufficient to say I served as, for example in one case, a receptionist/clerical officer and switchboard operator?

Also, I worked the weekends during the years I was in college, is it necessary to provide my address in Galway during the college year, even though I technically was only living at home for the times I worked. Maybe in this case I'm splitting hairs I just want to get it right first time round!

Stupid question, but I understand "in date order from the top" to mean the most recent post held should be placed at the top, I just want to confirm this to avoid looking like a tool! :confused:

In point 4, relevant information in support of your application, do most people require more than 4 lines to provide this information and what should the general tone of this paragraph be? I have written plenty of cover letters to accompany my CV but I suspect this may be different. Is it right to mention sporting achievements or am I completely missing the point?

Should I post off four passport photos and four copies of my Leaving Certificate or is one of each sufficient?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million! :D
    Just relax. Read over the instructions on the form carefully. I think you'd be better off filling out the form on a computer because you can make space to fit everything in and i think thats how they prefer it to be filled out. If you're unsure still drop into your local station and ask for help there. Not only will they assist you but you'll be meeting a member of the force which will help you in the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Fill it out on your computer as otherwise you'll have to manually fill in 4 copies of your application! This means you can give yourself as much space as you want to get everything you want written down. Then print off four copies.. SIGN AND DATE THEM. Attach 4 passport size photographs, and send your ORIGINAL Leaving Cert(no copies).

As for addresses.. give both addresses for college eg home/college address. For 3rd level Qualifications.. it would best to list all subjects!

Finally.. for point 4. Read the question very carefully! You should give a brief outline as to the skills + experience you would bring to the role, and outline how you think you could benefit the Garda Reserve.

Good luck with your application:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

I sent mine by e-mail. Only had to send it once and sent no photos. I sat my interview a few months ago and passed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Ah, this form BR is going to take me weeks to fill in:(I could have been gathering all the info the last few months but bit superstitious:p
    The reserve unit rang me today to say there is an intake in September and could I have my form in soon so I could make that intake (obviously depending on background checks?!:confused:Better get stuck into this form so!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hey does anybody know if garda hq are patient wen it comes to filling out ur BR form??reason im askin is im headin away for a few weeks so prob wnt get it done before??Cheers

Advertisement