Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheamus thread. ***most recent Raw/PPV spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Breffni O'Sullivan wrote in with this: "Sheamus is the first WWE Champion not born in North America since Kane's momentary reign in June 1998, the previous example to that being the momentary reign of André The Giant in February 1988. He is only the sixth WWE Champion ever born outside continental North America; the others being Bruno Sammartino, Pedro Morales, Antonio Inoki, The Iron Sheik, André The Giant and Kane.".

Credit: Wrestling Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

According to a poster on p.ie (who says he's a friend of Sheamus), he only learned that he'd be going over an hour beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PisteHoff

Stephen Farrelly is the main man already a legend he is though a tad on the pale side..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I watched TLC, and thought the way the Cena-Sheamus match ended was a bit disappointing.. Then again, I suppose its hard to end a table match very well.. But it wasn't even a big move to finish Cena, he more or less fell off the top rope..

Denny M wrote: »
    I watched TLC, and thought the way the Cena-Sheamus match ended was a bit disappointing.. Then again, I suppose its hard to end a table match very well.. But it wasn't even a big move to finish Cena, he more or less fell off the top rope..

Eh yes they are both far better than that i think it was a pay per view where the gimmicks hurt the matches but the tables were extremley limiting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

The Irish Central has posted an interview with new WWE Champion Sheamus. During the interview, he comments on being the first Irish and European born wrestler to ever hold the WWE Championship.

"Being from Ireland, it's kind of hard. WWE doesn't come over to Ireland too much, and there's no wrestling schools in Ireland; there are a few in England, but the level has dropped off significantly. Basically, I had to find a way to get noticed, and getting experience with documentaries and films was great, and it helped me get in front of the camera."

source nodq.com

no wrestling schools in ireland? jesus he has a short memory. or did he dream that he was a head trainer in a wrestling school at one point.

When he was still in Ireland there were 3 schools going in Dublin at once. Now there is only one, but it's a good one.

I've also seen him state elsewhere that it was the Monster factory in the US that trained him.

I started in the IwW school at the same time as him and he'd had about 1 month with the Monster place before that, but starting out he didn't seem to know anything more than guys doing it for the first time.

Either the falling out with IwW was really bad and he doesn't want to give them any credit or he is just trying to distance himself from the Irish scene altogether.

i know about wrestling schools in ireland, used to train with iww back in 07/08. its a shame if hes trying to distance himself from his roots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Fair play to the guy, he worked hard and is starting to see the reward.

• Advertisement

that he did. he has earned everything he has

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

In my opinion Sheamus is only a pawn in the effort to get Cena over with the more hardcore fans. Its a stunt which will only benefit Cena in the long run. Put the title on someone even less deserving than Cena was when he 1st won it.

And watch the fans cheer when Cena regains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Jayob10 wrote: »
    In my opinion Sheamus is only a pawn in the effort to get Cena over with the more hardcore fans. Its a stunt which will only benefit Cena in the long run. Put the title on someone even less deserving than Cena was when he 1st won it.

Well aren't you just sunshine and lollipops?

He may not be holding the belt for a year, but I sincerely doubt vince gives a flying f**** what the hardcore fans think of Cena. They buy the product anyway, and the Cena character shifts merchandise. They may be putting into a lame 'quest' scenario/winning streak only to win the belt back off the bad guy, but an Irishman still gets to be the bad guy in the biggest wrestling promotion in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Cena won't win it from Sheamus. Sheamus will have the belt for a month, maybe 2 tops, before losing it to a top heel that Cena can feud with.

It benefits Cena, and it benefits Sheamus. Cena gets the belt back and a boost to his popularity, Sheamus gets experience with responsibility of being the top star in preperation for a long game push in the future.

Cena won't win it from Sheamus. Sheamus will have the belt for a month, maybe 2 tops, before losing it to a top heel that Cena can feud with.

It benefits Cena, and it benefits Sheamus. Cena gets the belt back and a boost to his popularity, Sheamus gets experience with responsibility of being the top star in preperation for a long game push in the future.

I commmented something similar earlier yet my post was overlooked due to the fact i made an insenstive joke about good ol bells paulsey ridden JR doing a move from the top rope...
    He wont get a long push. when the rumble comes around Kofi Kingston will win and the company will be behind him. Cena will be heel and we will be treated to hbk taker again, god i hope taker snaps his neck so he does not bother any one more. And the one tru champion the Miz will rise to the top. Because he is the Miz and he is AWESOME!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

PisteHoff wrote: »
    I commmented something similar earlier yet my post was overlooked due to the fact i made an insenstive joke about good ol bells paulsey ridden JR doing a move from the top rope...
    He wont get a long push. when the rumble comes around Kofi Kingston will win and the company will be behind him. Cena will be heel and we will be treated to hbk taker again, god i hope taker snaps his neck so he does not bother any one more. And the one tru champion the Miz will rise to the top. Because he is the Miz and he is AWESOME!!

Pistehoff, you are not making a good impression here at all. Talk like the two bits bolded above tend to get people banned rather quickly. Step into line please or you will find yourself taking a permanent break.

gimmick wrote: »
    Pistehoff, you are not making a good impression here at all. Talk like the two bits bolded above tend to get people banned rather quickly. Step into line please or you will find yourself taking a permanent break.

Step into line???? Excuse me sir i am simply speaking my mind and i should be aware of others and stick to the thread to which im replying. However it is my personality and guess u have to able to take it with a pinch of salt. This is the world wide web and i belive i decent opinions im just saynig whats in my head for no other reason than to put it here and have a discussion. I have been a lot of posts today and they are far worse than what i have written. I take it that this is your baby and you will moderate how you see fit. I just want to use it the way i see it. I acknowledge my talk is not for everyone i will control myself but i have seen so many more posts with far worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jayob10 wrote: »

Personally i believe Sunday nights "stunt" just made the career of one Sheamus o'Shaunessy. He is now and forever will be a world champion, that in itself will guarantee him bookings even if the WWE drop the ball on his push. Not only that but as stated above he is the first ever Irish or European champ and only the 6th ever non American WWE champion, people are going to remember Sheamus now. Little features like that can be used to make him stand out just as much as he already does by being the whitest man in the WWE.

I really see no way in which becoming world champion cant help a wrestler. Obviously how they build on that is huge but atm it looks like they might not even have him drop the belt until the rumble (obviously could be wrong but itd usually be a next day thing imo otherwise) and if that was the case he would have had several weeks as a world champion and would then get to most likely compete in the Elimination chamber the following month also meaning Sheamus would have main evented 3 straight PPVs in the build up to mania. So yeah sure this will probably benefit Cena somewhat in his storyline in the build up to mania where he might hope to win over certain fans but it def helps Sheamus get elevated long term imo and id bet hes one of the happier Irishmen in the world atm.

Fairl play to the lad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PisteHoff wrote: »
    Step into line???? Excuse me sir i am simply speaking my mind and i should be aware of others and stick to the thread to which im replying. However it is my personality and guess u have to able to take it with a pinch of salt. This is the world wide web and i belive i decent opinions im just saynig whats in my head for no other reason than to put it here and have a discussion. I have been a lot of posts today and they are far worse than what i have written. I take it that this is your baby and you will moderate how you see fit. I just want to use it the way i see it. I acknowledge my talk is not for everyone i will control myself but i have seen so many more posts with far worse.

Pro Wrestling is generally a more lax board in regards to moderation (atleast these days ;)) imo than others but you did say you hope someone snaps their neck in that post and your telling us that you have posted far worse, You might not personally like it but if you post that kind of thing here (it wasnt really necessary for you to make you point and tbh i doubt you really do wish that so dont say it) action through moderation would have to be taken. take it as a little heads up and not the moderator getting on your back as tbh the moderators here were all long time posters on PW and dont want to ban anyone but we do.

Pro Wrestling is generally a more lax board in regards to moderation (atleast these days ;)) imo than others but you did say you hope someone snaps their neck in that post and your telling us that you have posted far worse, You might not personally like it but if you post that kind of thing here (it wasnt really necessary for you to make you point and tbh i doubt you really do wish that so dont say it) action through moderation would have to be taken. take it as a little heads up and not the moderator getting on your back as tbh the moderators here were all long time posters on PW and dont want to ban anyone but we do.

Look im new to this and it aint no excuse. I took the other moderator up wrong,sorry. Thank u for giving me the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

I see this as nothing more than an excuse to get Cena and Orton back together again, I could be wrong but that's all I think it is.

I doubt it's that as They could have done it when Orton was sneaked into the battle royal (when I thought Orton might when but gets given a shot at Undertaker instead).

Can't see Sheamus holding it passed the Rumble, though. He's a transitional champ. ...Hopefully. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrstpatsfc

Cut the crap. Sheamus is WWE Champion and while he did not merit a world title shot at such an early stage of his career in WWE, people must accept that his in ring skills influenced the powers that be to put the belt around his waist.
    The news that Sheamus had beaten John Cena for his WWE Title at the TLC Pay per view came as a shock to almost everyone. The fallout from the match has been endless. Many are delighted that a new comer has been given such an opportunity ,many are happy that Cena has lost his belt but then there are those who will not accept the Irishman as champion.
    It is great to see that the underdog has had his day. While 6 foot 6 Sheamus towered above his opponent,few expected him to win. Having made his WWE debut on October 26,the former Florida Championship Wrestling heavyweight champion and two time Irish Whip Wrestling champion, had not thrived on fierce competition. Rather he pitted his weight against dead ringers like Jamie Noble and Goldust.WWE Legend Jesse ``The Body`` Ventura saw enough in the Dubliner to gift him a shot at his dream ,a shot at capturing the holy grail that is the WWE Heavyweight championship. Sheamus did not fail and in doing so he became the first Irishman to ever hold the title and the fourth superstar from outside of America to have held it.
    Make no mistake about it, Cena is top quality. He himself broke onto the scene early in 2003 upsetting the mighty establishment of superstars such as Kurt Angle and he has gone on to an extremely successful career which stretches far beyond the realms of professional wrestling. His success can not be underestimated, he has held the WWE Championship five times, yet the charismatic Chain Gang leader saw himself undone by the Celtic Colossus that is Sheamus. This is a landmark victory for Sheamus, aka Stephen Farrelly, and this has set his place in the history books forever but this one win can not yield him legendary status.
    Becoming a legend does not happen over night. Many of those who are held in high regard and are noted as Hall of Famers did not see their careers peak as early as that of the Celtic Warrior.Their is a richness in opposition for Sheamus to face during his reign and no doubt this will further cement his position as a star of the future,indeed he is the star of now.
    Where to now for the champ? If there is any credit to be gained for his efforts, he will hold the gold for some time. I would much rather Sheamus had a successful spell as a mid carder rather than as a transitional champion.
    Brock Lesnar reached the pinnacle of the WWE after 4 months under the guidance of Paul Heyman, Sheamus, has done so in two months without any help. His self emblazoned path of destruction throughout the WWE has seen him boast the quickest possible rise to super stardom.There are few parallels to draw between both, but perhaps Sheamus title win further adds fuel to the belief that you must be a physical monster in order to reach the top.
    Lets take a deeper look at the history of the coveted title and its quite astonishing when you consider some of the wrestlers who never held the belt yet an up and comer like Sheamus can snare it at his first attempt. Rowdy Roddy Piper and Ricky Steamboat are two names that when you are talking about the history of wrestling you cant forget, yet it is astonishing that even though they developed successful careers ,they never held the WWE title. Im sure that Sheamus would have been extremely happy to have a career that would be similar to either but yet he has reached the summit, ahead of those who we brand as legends.
    Look at the main event card in 2009,it was in desperate need of a shake up and by inserting Sheamus into the mix, it has changed the face of what we came to expect as predictable.Four of the top superstars in WWE, including former champ Cena , appeared in the main event thirteen times. So i find it quite staggering that when the powers that be firstly entered Sheamus into the fold they were greeted with nothing but criticism. And now that he has captured the title it has escalated further. Give the man a chance.To say that his win has devaluated the title is nothing but pure stupidity.
    WWE has yet to see the best of Sheamus, whose in ring abilities illuminated the dreary wrestling scene in Ireland. Sheamus had beaten the best on the Irish circuit and even managed wins over noted grapplers such as Vampiro and ex WWE star Dlo Brown on home soil. Furthermore his feud with Drew Mc Intyre, who also claimed his first title at the TLC event by winning the Intercontinental title, is arguably the greatest feud in the history of Irish Wrestling.
    Irish Whip Wrestling was founded in 2002 and put Sheamus and McIntyre on the road to success, both have held the IWW Heavyweight championship.IWW has also found itself keep the established company of many top stars from the world of wrestling, yet as Sheamus and Drew claimed their success, IWW lies somewhat lifeless and hidden from the average Irish wrestling fan.
    All the negativity surrounding the WWE Champion needs to stop, a large portion of the wrestling fraternity are never happy when it comes to who deserves the title. Cena is quite a conflicting character, he holds iconic status, yet is loved and loathed in equal measure. And now his successor, without been giving a chance appears to be treading along a similar line.
    Danno Mahoney ,Fit Finlay, Fergal Devitt are the men who epitomise Ireland on the wrestling scene, but there light has been stolen by the star that is Sheamus, the greatest wrestling talent ever to have emerged from the Emerald Isle.
    By Glenn Dowd
    14/12/09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

mrstpatsfc wrote: »

Cut the crap. Sheamus is WWE Champion and while he did not merit a world title shot at such an early stage of his career in WWE, people must accept that his in ring skills influenced the powers that be to put the belt around his waist.
    The news that Sheamus had beaten John Cena for his WWE Title at the TLC Pay per view came as a shock to almost everyone. The fallout from the match has been endless. Many are delighted that a new comer has been given such an opportunity ,many are happy that Cena has lost his belt but then there are those who will not accept the Irishman as champion.
    It is great to see that the underdog has had his day. While 6 foot 6 Sheamus towered above his opponent,few expected him to win. Having made his WWE debut on October 26,the former Florida Championship Wrestling heavyweight champion and two time Irish Whip Wrestling champion, had not thrived on fierce competition. Rather he pitted his weight against dead ringers like Jamie Noble and Goldust.WWE Legend Jesse ``The Body`` Ventura saw enough in the Dubliner to gift him a shot at his dream ,a shot at capturing the holy grail that is the WWE Heavyweight championship. Sheamus did not fail and in doing so he became the first Irishman to ever hold the title and the fourth superstar from outside of America to have held it.
    Make no mistake about it, Cena is top quality. He himself broke onto the scene early in 2003 upsetting the mighty establishment of superstars such as Kurt Angle and he has gone on to an extremely successful career which stretches far beyond the realms of professional wrestling. His success can not be underestimated, he has held the WWE Championship five times, yet the charismatic Chain Gang leader saw himself undone by the Celtic Colossus that is Sheamus. This is a landmark victory for Sheamus, aka Stephen Farrelly, and this has set his place in the history books forever but this one win can not yield him legendary status.
    Becoming a legend does not happen over night. Many of those who are held in high regard and are noted as Hall of Famers did not see their careers peak as early as that of the Celtic Warrior.Their is a richness in opposition for Sheamus to face during his reign and no doubt this will further cement his position as a star of the future,indeed he is the star of now.
    Where to now for the champ? If there is any credit to be gained for his efforts, he will hold the gold for some time. I would much rather Sheamus had a successful spell as a mid carder rather than as a transitional champion.
    Brock Lesnar reached the pinnacle of the WWE after 4 months under the guidance of Paul Heyman, Sheamus, has done so in two months without any help. His self emblazoned path of destruction throughout the WWE has seen him boast the quickest possible rise to super stardom.There are few parallels to draw between both, but perhaps Sheamus title win further adds fuel to the belief that you must be a physical monster in order to reach the top.
    Lets take a deeper look at the history of the coveted title and its quite astonishing when you consider some of the wrestlers who never held the belt yet an up and comer like Sheamus can snare it at his first attempt. Rowdy Roddy Piper and Ricky Steamboat are two names that when you are talking about the history of wrestling you cant forget, yet it is astonishing that even though they developed successful careers ,they never held the WWE title. Im sure that Sheamus would have been extremely happy to have a career that would be similar to either but yet he has reached the summit, ahead of those who we brand as legends.
    Look at the main event card in 2009,it was in desperate need of a shake up and by inserting Sheamus into the mix, it has changed the face of what we came to expect as predictable.Four of the top superstars in WWE, including former champ Cena , appeared in the main event thirteen times. So i find it quite staggering that when the powers that be firstly entered Sheamus into the fold they were greeted with nothing but criticism. And now that he has captured the title it has escalated further. Give the man a chance.To say that his win has devaluated the title is nothing but pure stupidity.
    WWE has yet to see the best of Sheamus, whose in ring abilities illuminated the dreary wrestling scene in Ireland. Sheamus had beaten the best on the Irish circuit and even managed wins over noted grapplers such as Vampiro and ex WWE star Dlo Brown on home soil. Furthermore his feud with Drew Mc Intyre, who also claimed his first title at the TLC event by winning the Intercontinental title, is arguably the greatest feud in the history of Irish Wrestling.
    Irish Whip Wrestling was founded in 2002 and put Sheamus and McIntyre on the road to success, both have held the IWW Heavyweight championship.IWW has also found itself keep the established company of many top stars from the world of wrestling, yet as Sheamus and Drew claimed their success, IWW lies somewhat lifeless and hidden from the average Irish wrestling fan.
    All the negativity surrounding the WWE Champion needs to stop, a large portion of the wrestling fraternity are never happy when it comes to who deserves the title. Cena is quite a conflicting character, he holds iconic status, yet is loved and loathed in equal measure. And now his successor, without been giving a chance appears to be treading along a similar line.
    Danno Mahoney ,Fit Finlay, Fergal Devitt are the men who epitomise Ireland on the wrestling scene, but there light has been stolen by the star that is Sheamus, the greatest wrestling talent ever to have emerged from the Emerald Isle.
    By Glenn Dowd
    14/12/09

"Their". "Their" light has been stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

By Glenn Dowd
    14/12/09

its a tough one to read lad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Whiplash wrote: »
    that he did. he has earned everything he has

How? He spent two months on the main show so he earned the premiere World title. I mean, fair play to the guy for getting that far but he only got it because the Miz and jack Swagger don't carry HHH's bags. If they wanted to give it to someone unestablished it should have been one of those two. The Miz' feud with Cena was much better and he was destined to be embarresed while Swagger has the physique but better skills than Seamus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

"Their". "Their" light has been stolen.

Are you kidding me? This is ALL you can say about this guy's post?! Pulling people up on grammatical errors doesn't negate their argument.

I agree with pretty much everything mrstpatsfc said, although I agree it is hard to read purely because it's a larger-sized text with no paragraphs. But it's still an excellent, respectful argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

By Glenn Dowd
    14/12/09

I'm sorry! While Sheamus has done well for himself Fergal Devitt is the finest pure wrestling talent that this country has ever produced and I dont think thats going to change anytime soon.
    Sheamus played the game (parden the pun) and made his way to the top in the WWE. To say he got there purely on talent would be stretching it a bit! Not to take away from his achievemnt but I think it was more a case of right time right place!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

And in fairness, while Finley is a fine wrestler, and a good brawler, he was never really taken too seriously, at least not since Hornswoggle. They made the man have a leprachaun as a son for crying out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I'm sorry! While Sheamus has done well for himself Fergal Devitt is the finest pure wrestling talent that this country has ever produced and I dont think thats going to change anytime soon.
    Sheamus played the game (parden the pun) and made his way to the top in the WWE. To say he got there purely on talent would be stretching it a bit! Not to take away from his achievemnt but I think it was more a case of right time right place!

Theres no doubt about the fact Fergal Devitt is the best wrestler to ever come out of this country.. But Sheamus is a WWE World Champion, on the WWEs flagship show, and has cemented his place in history.. and Devitt will probably never get that success or exposure, unfortunately

you say he was in the right place at the right time, well yeah thats how the majority of people succeed in life, being in the right place at the right time, but luckily for him, he had the right look and the right work ethic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How? He spent two months on the main show so he earned the premiere World title. I mean, fair play to the guy for getting that far but he only got it because the Miz and jack Swagger don't carry HHH's bags. If they wanted to give it to someone unestablished it should have been one of those two. The Miz' feud with Cena was much better and he was destined to be embarresed while Swagger has the physique but better skills than Seamus

istockphoto_2634771-hitting-a-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Advertisement