Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheamus thread. ***most recent Raw/PPV spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I love Sheamus (being Irish) but WWE have not pushed him well. Generic promos and booked to look weak; I'm surprised he gets as much heat at he does.

I reckon it'll be a while before he wins another title. But for now he'll be a solidified mid-carder or above; with the chance to head back up to the main event in due time. Next title run will be great :)

Have WWE really not pushed him well?

What more could WWE really have done. He didn't win too many matches clean but he is a heel so thats normal, but he was competitive in all his matches. If he did win matches clean against the established wrestlers fans would be shouting bull ****.

What they did do well was have him repeatedly beat up the likes of Cena/Orton during and outside matches. He also beat on HHH after another match. The beat downs along with competitive matches put Sheamus across as a legitimate threat so I think WWE did a great job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What I meant by 'WWE haven't pushed him well' is that if you wanted to push him as a monster heel, then he should be booked like an unstoppable force, like Brock Lesnar. He could lose by DQ by battering his opponents. I understand he's heel and so he should slip his way through title defenses, but he just looks uncomfortable and out of his field wrestling Orton and Cena.

I guess the biggest thing I have a problem with is that during his reign, he was never the focus of any RAWs (except for maybe the Ventura one). He'd be opening the show against Evan Bourne and not seen again, or battling Christian an in impromptu-match, instead of having the show around him. For a good while his promos were "i beat ya, Cena, nya-nya-nya-nyaaa-nya!" instead of focussing on himself. As a new champion, I'd hope/expect that he'd be the center of attention. But he wasn't really doing much.

His written promos are just so generic. (That's not his fault) Anyone could say the lines he's saying. I am impressed of how competant he is on the mic. I really think he'll be great down the line.

That said, I really did enjoy his stuff with Orton, but it's obvious that the emphysis or RAW was always on whatever Cena, Orton (or McMahon) was doing.

He's had a much better reign as Champion than Hardy's, Punk's or Mysterio's first run, but as a new guy, they could've done more. But I'm happy enough, really. The crowd seem to actually boo him for the right reasons, so I can't really complain lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Have WWE really not pushed him well?

What more could WWE really have done. He didn't win too many matches clean but he is a heel so thats normal, but he was competitive in all his matches. If he did win matches clean against the established wrestlers fans would be shouting bull ****.

What they did do well was have him repeatedly beat up the likes of Cena/Orton during and outside matches. He also beat on HHH after another match. The beat downs along with competitive matches put Sheamus across as a legitimate threat so I think WWE did a great job.

The main problem was a lot of the time he was made to look like he was about to be beat after being hit with the FU/RKO before someone else interfered. Sure he beat them down after and was quite competitive in matches but in the average fan's mind I'd guess they'd be thinking "He's not so great, he would've been beat 1,2,3 if x, y or z didn't interfere." Not the best image for someone who should be viewed as the new top heel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    The main problem was a lot of the time he was made to look like he was about to be beat after being hit with the FU/RKO before someone else interfered. Sure he beat them down after and was quite competitive in matches but in the average fan's mind I'd guess they'd be thinking "He's not so great, he would've been beat 1,2,3 if x, y or z didn't interfere." Not the best image for someone who should be viewed as the new top heel.

Edge is a quick example of a guy that got by for years on the if it wasn't for x, y or z didn't interfere.

I don't think Shemaus was ever intended to be viewed as the new top heel. Thats where the likes of Batista, Orton, Jericho and Punk are.

What I saw in Sheamus becoming champ was WWE using the months leading up to the rumble as a chance to elevate another guy to the level of threat to the big stars. While they were doing that with Sheamus it allowed them to keep the people who would be fighting at mania apart before focusing on there feuds after the rumble.

Why would WWE make Shemaus into the biggest heel on the roster when he wasn't going to be in one of the big matches that would sell mania?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Edge is a quick example of a guy that got by for years on the if it wasn't for x, y or z didn't interfere.

I don't think Shemaus was ever intended to be viewed as the new top heel. Thats where the likes of Batista, Orton, Jericho and Punk are.

What I saw in Sheamus becoming champ was WWE using the months leading up to the rumble as a chance to elevate another guy to the level of threat to the big stars. While they were doing that with Sheamus it allowed them to keep the people who would be fighting at mania apart before focusing on there feuds after the rumble.

Why would WWE make Shemaus into the biggest heel on the roster when he wasn't going to be in one of the big matches that would sell mania?

Edge is a different character, and it looked like to me from the start they wanted Sheamus to come across as a real tough badass and him scraping by the way he has hurt that. I think letting Sheamus get one clean pin over a top guy would've made a big difference. The top heel thing is just me being old fashioned. I always think the person holding the title should be viewed as the best and booked as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Some of his stuff on Raw has been poor for example the night after Edge wins the Rumble, Sheamus struts out, Edge then hugs him and strolls off and we don’t see Sheamus for the rest of the night. That makes him look a total dork.

Most of the other stuff he has been ok, he has got the upper hand on Orton and Cena a few times, its been back and forth recently like all heel v face rivalries. . I don’t think that they want to book Sheamus as a monster heel, because he is not that big like Brock! I imagine that’s how Zeke will be booked but I digress.
    Shamus is a canny ****er who picks his spots when his opponents are weak and pounces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

I think the road back to the title will be a long one for Sheamus , He has improved a lot over the last few months but he was poor in the chamber match. Also if you don't have the backing of your peers such as the WWE Locker room its only a matter of time before your triple h rub runs its course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    I think the road back to the title will be a long one for Sheamus , He has improved a lot over the last few months but he was poor in the chamber match. Also if you don't have the backing of your peers such as the WWE Locker room its only a matter of time before your triple h rub runs its course

How was he poor in the Chamber match? Do you mean his in-ring work or how he was presented. Not having a go, but I thought they did a solid job of taking the title off him while making him look like a legit threat.

I think a Trips match in which he's presented as a legit threat (or - one can always dream - wins) would help cement his status. The fans actually boo him, which is always helpful for a heel, and it seems like CM Punk heat rather than Abraham Washington heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,523 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Surely he is entited to a rematch for the title?

I'd like to see him in MITB at WM

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Surely he is entited to a rematch for the title?

I'd like to see him in MITB at WM

I dunno....
    Maybe this is a bit of a heresy, but I think MITB often turns good wrestlers into spot-monkeys - unless they're monster heels. And the thought of him taking a tumble off a ladder (given his neck problems) fills me with dread.

Sheamus would be having excellent singles matches if he turned down the tempo just a tad. I think he'd be best put in a match with a slower pace - with the kind of performer who works those 'storytelling' bouts. Bret Hart, of course, is otherwise engaged - if Trips wanted to give him a real rub, he'd be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

geeky wrote: »
    How was he poor in the Chamber match? Do you mean his in-ring work or how he was presented. Not having a go, but I thought they did a solid job of taking the title off him while making him look like a legit threat.

I think a Trips match in which he's presented as a legit threat (or - one can always dream - wins) would help cement his status. The fans actually boo him, which is always helpful for a heel, and it seems like CM Punk heat rather than Abraham Washington heat.

Go back and look at his back breaker on Cena and him planting his nut sack in Ortons face in the corner it all looked very weak and then compare it to ortons face plant on triple h outside the ring they are polls apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

In fairness, didn't Seamus suffer a concussion in the Elimination Chamber? And from what i can tell, it was pretty early,and left him looking a bit woozy once the build-up to the eliminations starting occuring.

A match against Trips, provided it's early in the card, would be a great Mania spot for Seamus, but I definitely see the logic in reigning him in slightly for this period of the calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

So who's going to be the first to buy this?

http://www.wweshop.com/item/sheamus-celtic-warrior-t-shirt/OtherSuperstars/01-11642?cid=2010003SheamusCelticWarriorT-shirt-11

Anyone know what the p&p costs would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Gerard.C wrote: »

http://www.wweshop.com/item/sheamus-celtic-warrior-t-shirt/OtherSuperstars/01-11642?cid=2010003SheamusCelticWarriorT-shirt-11

is it on the euroshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Gerard.C wrote: »

Why dont you get this??:pac:
    10786.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,523 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Steve Austin tweeted his thoughts on WWE Superstar Sheamus: "Sheamus is so white he is almost blue......I think the guy has a lot of potential and a great look. Very unique."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Why dont you get this??:pac:
    10786.jpg

its too small

wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/wrestlemania/2010/march29-31/13943862

HHH really talks em up in this post match interview.

Really hope this rivalry goes on for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

V9 wrote: »
    http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/wrestlemania/2010/march29-31/13943862

Most likely will. Attacked HHH from behind tonight during a speech on RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

i think it'll be like what HHH said in that old interview from powerslam magazine:

You had competitive matches with Jeff Hardy on his journey to the top spot last year. But Booker T/King Booker was not afforded the same equality in his bouts with you at WrestleMania XIX or SummerSlam 2007. Is the amount of offence a wrestler is allowed dependent on his status?

Yes. Jeff was competitive with me, and I also put Jeff over, eventually. But Jeff was being built up a certain way. He couldn't get there: he was the guy that just couldn't beat me and, the more that happened, the more desperate the fans became for him to do it. So, when he did beat me, it made a much bigger impact. He could have gone out and beat me clean in our first match, but the fans would not have accepted him in the way they have now.

They'll have their matches and eventually at extreme rules, where sheamus is the guy on the poster, sheamus will eventually beat him.

• Advertisement

V9 wrote: »

Hmm.. Suppose it partly makes up for kicking out of the bicycle kick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Link to an interview with Sheamus in today's Irish Times. I'll give it a meh!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0406/1224267740146.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Agreed. It sounds like the phone call lasted about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BEST INSULT HURLED AT SHEAMUS “The most token-looking Irishman I have ever seen in my life” (by wrestler Fit Linlay’s sidekick Little Bastard).

Wow. A leprechaun called Sheamus the most token-looking Irishman he's ever seen.

Yeah, not a great interview at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

There was a two page piece about him in yesterdays Mirror aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

From when I was about 10-16 years old (during the early 2000's) I was a huge wrestling fan & I knew Sheamus O'Shaunessy from iww, but eventually I just got tired of wrestling & completely lost touch with it all together.

Recently though, I saw a picture of Sheamus with the WWE title!!!:eek:, it was such a random thing for me to see!!!
    I mean, here's a guy, a full on Irishman, who I used to see in IWW & now he's the champ in the biggest wrestling company ever!!!:eek: It's great!!!:cool:

Anyway, my main reason for posting is, what's the overall reaction towards him in the US & back home?
    Does he seem to genuinely deserve this hugh push? or is a bit of a 2005/6 John cena scenario, when the fans just basically hate him.
    Anyone know how he's getting on backstage? surely not so bad, being a former champ & all.

I know this is probably all old news by now, but any info is still appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Jay1989 wrote: »
    From when I was about 10-16 years old (during the early 2000's) I was a huge wrestling fan & I knew Sheamus O'Shaunessy from iww, but eventually I just got tired of wrestling & completely lost touch with it all together.

Recently though, I saw a picture of Sheamus with the WWE title!!!:eek:, it was such a random thing for me to see!!!
    I mean, here's a guy, a full on Irishman, who I used to see in IWW & now he's the champ in the biggest wrestling company ever!!!:eek: It's great!!!:cool:

Anyway, my main reason for posting is, what's the overall reaction towards him in the US & back home?
    Does he seem to genuinely deserve this hugh push? or is a bit of a 2005/6 John cena scenario, when the fans just basically hate him.
    Anyone know how he's getting on backstage? surely not so bad, being a former champ & all.

I know this is probably all old news by now, but any info is still appreciated, thanks!

He ain't the champ no more. He lost it back in Febuary.

He's rated quite highly over in the States afaik. I know a lot of the wrestling critics and fans like him because he's different. You know, not a Yank and not tanned all over or chiseled good looks like a lot of the guys. He's rated very highly by Triple H which in the WWE is almost just as good as being rated highly by Vince himself.

He's recieved the biggest push since in such a short space of time since Lesnar and it's looking like he ain't too far off a second World title according to word online. The only thing I haven't seen him do yet is get a clean victory over any of the company's top stars. He has beaten Cena, Orton and Triple H but not in a normal singles match and clean. Still though they've built him as a monster and his stock will only continue to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

That's a shame about him not having a clean victory, but you're right, it's still early days for him in wwe & it's just a matter of time.

A little off topic, but I also just saw on TNA that burchill & Doug Williams have made it there now. I think that's also a bit of a shame, it'd be cool to see some more guys in wwe from this side of the pond. mind you, with that Scot mcIntyre & that barret guy from Manchester it isn't too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrianSlipknot

Spotted sheamus getting into a taxi on O'Connell St. last week, a thursday if i remember right. Was weird figuring that he was to be on RAW the coming Monday. Shouted over at him with my mates and he looked over and waved. Had a Pennys and Gamestop bag in hand.

Dont quite know why im saying this...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jay1989 wrote: »

From the comments I've read or heard (I'd mainly consume pwinsider or Between The Ropes), people seem really excited about the guy - and funnily enough, his mike work (which makes some Irish fans cringe) is spoken about really positively. Despite the lack of clean wins, he's getting over as something of a bad-@ss and is holding his own in matches. He's also in really good shape and has solid matches while working a pretty safe style. He'll never be the Undertaker (32 already after all), but he's got a few good years ahead of him I'd say.

Advertisement