Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

No, you should get other emails from google and from ebuyer saying it has shipped or you have been billed. Did you activate your google checkout account by clicking the link on their email when you set it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi if I buy windows 7 for this how do I install it as it doesn't have a DVD drive?
    smccarrick wrote: »
    Or check out tomorrow's special in Aldi here

Hi thanks for the help. i went and bought a copy of windows 7 and i got the aldi special dvd drive but i can't seem to install windows.

I've seen the bit where it will allow an install of vista :(

I've reconnected the dvd drive many times and ejected and reinjected the windows 7 disc many times as well. nowt happens though and it's very frustrating. It is recognising the dvd drive and my 4gb flash card.

To the others that have done this,what do i need to do?

A search has brought up nothing any help appreciated.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone who has got this tell me what emails they received when they ordered via Google Checkout? I ordered on Thursday evening but so far I have only got one email, from Google Checkout itself, nothing from ebuyer themselves. The status link inside the GC email leads to a page showing status "not shipped yet". The delivery info is shown as

Shipping & Handling (Wed 4th Nov 2009 (Delivery to EIRE)) : £9.99

Does this all sound ok?

Thanks,
    c

Mine went through very very quick,in a matter of 2 hours i had about 8 emails ,the last confirming it had shipped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the help. i went and bought a copy of windows 7 and i got the aldi special dvd drive but i can't seem to install windows.

I've seen the bit where it will allow an install of vista :(

I've reconnected the dvd drive many times and ejected and reinjected the windows 7 disc many times as well. nowt happens though and it's very frustrating. It is recognising the dvd drive and my 4gb flash card.

To the others that have done this,what do i need to do?

A search has brought up nothing any help appreciated.

You need to change the boot configuration to CD/DVD drive as the first device. When you boot to the limited Linux kernel- you have a configuration utility there which will guide you if this doesn't help- but the generic BIOS setting should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Im going to put windows on this i went out to PC world to buy it and i was told that because it doesnt have Vista on it now i need to buy the full W7 disk which they are selling for over 200 euro !!

Is that right ? seems very high and sounds like usual PC world sillyness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Im going to put windows on this i went out to PC world to buy it and i was told that because it doesnt have Vista on it now i need to buy the full W7 disk which they are selling for over 200 euro !!

that is why it is so widely available for free ilegaly

smccarrick wrote: »
    You need to change the boot configuration to CD/DVD drive as the first device. When you boot to the limited Linux kernel- you have a configuration utility there which will guide you if this doesn't help- but the generic BIOS setting should do the trick.

Thanks for your help i did it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You do need to get the full version, but a full OEM version.
    The one in pc world is prob a Retail version.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173791
    they'll make you buy some hard-ware with it too though, so just get something for a fiver.

Also why do you want windows on it?

Effluo wrote: »

they'll make you buy some hard-ware with it too though, so just get something for a fiver.

Cheers for that.

I got the Acer to use as a work PC i use Autocad ( well progecad but its the same thing) for work but it wont run with Linux/ubuntu. I was reading up about the wine emulator thing that could run older versions and downloaded it last night to have a look.

I had instructions and followed them but it got so complicated so quickly i couldnt even figure out how to install it never mind how to go about installing and running other software using it so i just gave up.

Ive found ubuntu really difficult to get to grips with and if im going to continue to have problems with software needing windows then i may as well bite the bullet and just put windows onto the machine. I'd prefere not to as i like the concept of ubuntu but ive really struggled with it maybe if i was more PC savvy id perserver but its not easy for a novice pc user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Effluo wrote: »

Be aware that the one limitation of the OEM version is that you can only use it on one machine *ever*. There is no ability to reuse it if/when you change machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Kernel wrote: »
    No, you should get other emails from google and from ebuyer saying it has shipped or you have been billed. Did you activate your google checkout account by clicking the link on their email when you set it up?

Oh dear :( I didn't get an activating email from google (i suspect I may have half set it up before). The google checkout account seems fine but I have not been charged and it hasn't shipped and no email from ebuyer. Something wrong somewhere. As a matter of interest, did you register with ebuyer or just go straight to google checkout?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

If I buy win7 for approx £70 and then buy a dvd drive, does that not make this machine more expensive than a regular dell or acer pc with windows installed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

torregolf wrote: »
    If I buy win7 for approx £70 and then buy a dvd drive, does that not make this machine more expensive than a regular dell or acer pc with windows installed

It all depends on what you want it for. If you need windows 7, then i'd look else where, this is ideal as a HTPC, if it's going to be used as a main computer, although it would be adequate, it's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Just for people that are new to Linux and want to keep it and install XBMC on it, here are some tips and links:

- Switch the BIOS setting for Revo Boot to off if you want to install Ubuntu. The linux supplied with the Revo is too basic and you want it replaced for sure.
    - You will have to install from a USB key if you don't have a CD drive. Easiest is if you have another desktop computer with burner: download the Ubuntu desktop and run the Live part of it (no modification of your computer). You can now use System->Administration -> USB Startup disk creator to create a bootable Ubuntu USB key. You still might need the BIOS settings to make it boot.

The links below have saved me hours:

HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies

AVS-Forums, REVO owners thread

Revo User

Minimal install of Ubuntu + XBMC

For those that are a bit frustrated with Linux, remember it could take some time to tweak everything but it is well worth the effort and you don't have to do it again once it works.

PS I can confirm it easily plays Kill-as-ample. As a matter of fact, HD material requires less CPU power than a regular XVID or DIVX file as the decoding is done by the GPU!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Oh dear :( I didn't get an activating email from google (i suspect I may have half set it up before). The google checkout account seems fine but I have not been charged and it hasn't shipped and no email from ebuyer. Something wrong somewhere. As a matter of interest, did you register with ebuyer or just go straight to google checkout?

No, didn't register with ebuyer, went through google. Only set up a google checkout account for this, and ordered the Acer.

When I checked my email I noticed I had an email from ebuyer thanking me for the order or whatever, but also one from google to activate my checkout account, which I did. About a minute after activating, I got an email from ebuyer saying my payment was processed. Then an email from google and ebuyer telling me my order had shipped the following morning. I'd try setting up google checkout again maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

wbstrn wrote: »
    Or you could try this post from lifehacker.com. It's a very good rundown on how to get XBMC running on the Revo :D

Thanks wbstrn and Kerbdog for your replies. I ordered the Revo last Friday morning and it shipped Friday evening so hopefully I'll have it in the next day or two to get started with! :-)

I don't have a TV with a HDMI input at present (will probably wait until after Xmas to buy one). I have a 19" LCD monitor that has one though so I can get started with the Revo when it arrives.

My current TV is a Philips CRT whose only inputs are SCART and RCA (red, white and yellow). Given that the outputs on the Revo are HDMI and VGA, what approach would you guys recommend to hook the Revo up to this TV to allow me to use it until I buy a new one after Xmas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

robertod wrote: »
    I don't have a TV with a HDMI input at present (will probably wait until after Xmas to buy one). I have a 19" LCD monitor that has one though so I can get started with the Revo when it arrives.

My current TV is a Philips CRT whose only inputs are SCART and RCA (red, white and yellow). Given that the outputs on the Revo are HDMI and VGA, what approach would you guys recommend to hook the Revo up to this TV to allow me to use it until I buy a new one after Xmas?

Thanks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26501

Something like that may work. Stress the 'may' though, that cable seems quite particular going by the reviews and product description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

been a week and i still havent received a confirmation from ebuyer. credit card hasnt been charged though it went through google checkout fine. i had registered and logged in with ebuyer before making the purchase.

sent an email friday, still waiting for an answer as to what's happening...

Finally got windows 7 onto the machine what a relief its just so much easier. Very happy with the machine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Give them a call, I had the same issues and was told they are having ALOT of issue with Google not forwarding on the order info.
    Spipov wrote: »
    been a week and i still havent received a confirmation from ebuyer. credit card hasnt been charged though it went through google checkout fine. i had registered and logged in with ebuyer before making the purchase.

sent an email friday, still waiting for an answer as to what's happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

is this deal still available anywhere?
    says discontinued on ebuyer...

Can those of you who have already received the Revo from eBuyer please tell me what cables apart from the power cable (if any) are included with the unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

is this deal still available anywhere?
    says discontinued on ebuyer...

???

Just checked and it's showing 300 in stock for me.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Do-more wrote: »
    ???

Just checked and it's showing 300 in stock for me.

shoot, sorry.
    I copy/pasted into ebuyer.com from the first post on the thread with the old price of 159.

ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Google Checkout

I can advise that this order has been cancelled as it has not come through complete from Google, therefore we have cancelled and refunded you account. If you wish to replace your order I would advise that you place your order through the Ebuyer Checkout.

I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused

Kind Regards

Cheryl

Ebuyer Customer Support

argh. how do i make sure google checkout works this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Can those of you who have already received the Revo from eBuyer please tell me what cables apart from the power cable (if any) are included with the unit?

None. AFAICR.

What other cables are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Just got my little toy today and getting there slowly. Why have I no sound, and presume it cannot be put on back of large lcd tv.

• Advertisement

torregolf wrote: »
    Just got my little toy today and getting there slowly. Why have I no sound, and presume it cannot be put on back of large lcd tv.

You can configure either nVidia sound out via HDMI or onboard Realtek Hi-def sound (you have to specify which is default though)......

Advertisement